Thought I'd go ahead and start a progress thread. Hasegawa kit with True Details intakes and Eduard PE set. Here's how she looks as of this morning:

RF4E.jpg

Cockpit:

RF4E1.jpg

Minor surgery needed for the intakes, fit seems to be pretty decent:

RF4E2.jpg

View of the painted intake. The fan blades aren't true as far as depth, but it's a nice compromise to a set of full seemless inakes:

RF4E3.jpg

That's it so far, more as I progress....

Looking good! When I saw your pictures, I had a sense of deja vu. I remember starting the same project a year or two ago and then abandoning it. I was starting with the JASDF kit (all that was out at the time) and going to make an IDF RF-4E. Had it all laid out, with the Eduard RF-4E set, some Aires exhausts, Sky's Decals, and an Airdoc refueling probe and unslotted stabs. I was going to wimp out on the intakes and use the Steel Beach FOD covers. I got as far as the cockpit and the cameras and then abandoned the project for some reason that I can't quite remember.

RF4_1.jpg

RF4_4.jpg

RF4_3.jpg

RF4_2.jpg

I remember that the Eduard set had the USN type right rear cockpit sidewall and I used the circuit breaker panel from an old KMC set. I also remember that it took me a bit more than 1 day to get where you are now.

Thanks for the memory jog. Maybe this GB will give me the kick to restart work on it, after I finish my U-2.

• 1 month later...

Okay, made some progress, here's the latest:

Resin intakes installed, no real issues there, they fit pretty nice. Also fixed some lost detail due to sanding on the coaming:

const1.jpg

Seam check and touch ups:

t.jpg

And finally laid down a coat of paint:

const.jpg

Edited by Kelly Quirk

Thanks guys.

Anthony, I won't make it to the Nat's this year. My Dad is having very serious health issues, plus I'm right in the middle of building a house and moving. I'm lucky to be modeling at all right now. Hope to see you again in Columbus next year though!

Awesome, looks likw your off to a running start Kelly. How did you get to that stage so fast? I started my RF-4EJ a week and a half ago and I just finshed fitting the resin intakes and wing sub assembly. Do you mind if I copy a few of the things you've done with the cameras?. Looking good, Iv'e got my work cut out for me.

• 4 weeks later...

I hope you get this one done for the upcoming Omacon show Kelly. And if I am lucky, your RF-4E might have some competition from an RF-4C I am starting here shortly in the Phantom GB (and an Iranian RF-4E I want to do for this GB).

I hope you get this one done for the upcoming Omacon show Kelly. And if I am lucky, your RF-4E might have some competition from an RF-4C I am starting here shortly in the Phantom GB (and an Iranian RF-4E I want to do for this GB).

I hope to have it finished for the show Jay. I haven't been very good with my updates, but it's all painted, decalled and washed. Just have to do all the detail painting and landing gear, finish up the canopies and she's done. Looking forward to seeing yours!

• 3 weeks later...