Question concerning 1st SOS Skyraiders

Hajo,

The drop tanks were shed/punched off on a regular basis during RESCAP ops. I would go with a standard "line tank" grey/white. In those days drop tank colors were the last item of priority with the pace of ongoing ops. Although a black bag would look sharp..... I'd go with grey for accuracy though.....

ThudDriver

Hi,

I looked through Wings of Fame (I forgot to note the volume number :worship: ), and on one section featuring USAF Search and Rescue Part 2, there was a side view photo of 'Stump Jumper', showing it to have a centreline tank in overall bright grey (near white in color). The aircraft had grey/white undersides too.

HTH!

Ben

Hi Hajo,

The photos I saw on Wings of Fame Vol 14 showed 'Stump Jumper' at the flight line, and the area under the engine cowling was clearly in white. With that, I would have assume that the whole aircraft's underside would also be in white (those that had black undersides also had the area under the engine cowling painted in black)

If you would like to have the photo of Stump Jumper, pm me, and I'll try to provide you with a scanned copy.

Ben

• 2 weeks later...