Up hill task ended

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone,

How time flies...a month has passed since my last update :salute:

Thank you Pete for constantly updating us with the new prowler products out there. I feel it is really exciting to able to see reputable manufacturers making new AM parts for this old kit. It's a testament of the attraction of this aircraft.

I am still working on the kit with whatever time i can squeeze from my work and family commitment. So here's an update of the progress and i'll let pictures do the talking.

wingfold2-1.jpg

This is one half of the resin wingfold from blackbox. It was time consuming cleaning these resin parts, trying to bring them up to mark with the rest of the kit's finishing. There were quite a few "airbubbles" marks on my sample. On hindsight, it might have been easier to work with the kit's plastic wings instead.

wingfold3.jpg

Lots of masking to get everything airbrushed, glossed, decal, sealed and washed. It is essentailly a mini project on its own. :P

wingfold1-1.jpg

I also worked on adding details on the other exposed portion of the wing. The joints are pretty flimsy and i expect a hard time ahead...

ECMpods.jpg

In between working on those wings, i also worked on the ECM pods from CE. I added some holes and lines but mostly i had difficulties getting them to align/angle correctly with the pylons already on the half finished kit. The stencils on these pods took about 45mins each to apply :worship: but totally worth it.

lowbandpod.jpg

Lastly, a close up shot on the low band pod.

My next step is to figure out how to strengthen the joint at the wingfolds so that they do not get "folded" under their own weight...until then, keep building ;)

Chris

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

I am back with a small update :bandhead2:

I was able to make use of the long weekend to finally put up the wings of my prowler which, IMHO, THE number 1 biggest challenge of this entire project.

I have opted to have the wing fold support poles mounted to increase the rigidity of the entire setup, though i must agree the trade off is aestheticism...

Below r the pics of the result. Comments are welcome :D Thanks for viewing.

wingsup1.jpg

wingsup2.jpg

wingsup3.jpg

wingsup4.jpg

really outstanding Chris. Would you post some close-up pics from the mounted joints ? i have the Blackbox wing fold set too, and it looks veeery tricky.

hans

really outstanding Chris. Would you post some close-up pics from the mounted joints ? i have the Blackbox wing fold set too, and it looks veeery tricky.

hans

Hi Hans,

U can't be more right...Even though blackbox wings are quite accurate in details and shape, the joints are flimsy as hell...i broke mine even when i was jus dry fitting them. And the alignment on the right wing was totally out on mine. I'm sorry my current camera can't do a good close-up. Let me try to borrow one that can and i"ll try posting some close-up shots. Generally, I resulted to increase the rigidity by adding styrene sheets to increase glue contact area and adding details to distract viewers from the ugly joints....haha.

Cheers!

Holy Milk Producing Grass Muncher!!!!!!!!!!!! :whistle:

Now that´s a fabulous result, Chris!!! I´m in total awe and drowning ina pool of drool as I speak.....where´s my rubber boots?

I´m not worthy :unsure:

:wave:

Thanks everyone for your kind comments :lol: must say it's abit of a bitter sweet to have come this far and I am happy that you like what i did.

Janne,

u always have a way with words, u cracked me up :jaw-dropping::worship:

:jaw-dropping:

• 2 weeks later...

Hello all :D

Thot i give alittle update after near 2 weeks of struggle :P i was busy getting the windscreens up and in the process foiled a set of them. Luckily the kit came with 2 sets and after learning from my mistakes, finally managed to get the front one done...

frontscreenup1.jpg

frontscreenup2.jpg

I tried replicating the busy centre beam which consist of the overhead lighting and cabling. The tricky part was the adding of styrene strips to the inside of the canopy while protecting the "futured" portions. In the end i choose to "re-future" after adding the strips...

rearscreen1.jpg

Here's a look at the scratched center beam of the rear canopy using "H" beam rod and brass rods of various diameters.

rearscreen2.jpg

After the first unsuccessful attempt at the canopies, i dug out my PWMP tractor to take a break from the prowler. Apologise for not having WIP pics, but the tractor is a pretty straight forward build with the tractor body being a 1 piece solid resin. All i did was to saw it off the extra resins, prime and paint. It was a very enjoyable built and with little effort, great satisfaction can be achieved. All thanks to PW for such great product.

tractor1.jpg

tractor2.jpg

tractor3.jpg

The tractor is still in need of some detail painting and i intend to have it accompany my prowler when they all come together :yahoo:

Thanks for looking.

Cheers!

Edited by RedFlag
:jaw-dropping: You gonna make a little dio as well?

I have always visualized my prowler displayed with chains on a carrier deck and beside it parked a tractor....so i guess i will try to go towards achieving that :cheers:

What´s your recepy for building a carrier deck? or are there decks marketed in 1/48th scale?

I got mine from squadron awhile back. It is a resin deck from a company called "Just Plane Stuff". U can check it out at Squadron.com

It even come complete with PE tie down points, though i have a feeling the holes on the deck are a tad too big for 48 scale. then again, sure beat building the entire deck myself :jaw-dropping::cheers:

I'll try taking some shots and post them on this thread.

Chris

Did you tint the canopies or did your model come with the tinted ones?

Jim

Hi Jim,

The original kit came with 2 sets of canopies, one clear and another tinted in yellow. But as the yellow tint is a little light in my opinion, I'd decided to use the technique described by Pete Brown a few pages before. I added food color into the "future" before submerging the canopies into it.

Hope tat helps :taunt: