Harder & Steebeck question

Do you find having to change your PSI significantly in order to achieve consistent spray after changing the tip? I may have missed some of the earlier comments in the thread but my other questions are:

1. Do you use acrylics?

2. Does it have teflon packing?

3. What about service in the USA?

4. Who sells it in the USA?

I appreciate your comments,

Regards,

Jose

Answers:

1. Yes (Citadel, Gunze and Tamiya)

2. Yes

3. www.precisiongermanairbrush.com carries full line of spare parts (the Infinity is dead easy to disassemble yourself)

4. www.precisiongermanairbrush.com

And to answer your question regarding changing psi when changing tips, I haven't noticed a significant change of pressure going from 0.15 to 0.4 tips. It's the thickness of the paint that determines the pressure I use.

Edited by smithery
Answers:

1. Yes (Citadel, Gunze and Tamiya)

2. Yes

3. www.precisiongermanairbrush.com carries full line of spare parts (the Infinity is dead easy to disassemble yourself)

4. www.precisiongermanairbrush.com

And to answer your question regarding changing psi when changing tips, I haven't noticed a significant change of pressure going from 0.15 to 0.4 tips. It's the thickness of the paint that determines the pressure I use.

I understand the proportional relationship between the thickness of the paint and the need for PSI. The problem I had with my Iwata Eclipse when changing from a .35 set up to .5 is that I could barely get any spray coming out at all with a PSI of 25, while the same paint, thinned equally, would spray beautifully with the .35 set up. It also gave me tons of spattering with the .5 set up. I emailed the Iwata techs and they were of no help. I even got a second .5 needle nozzle and cap, to no avail, same issues. At the present moment if I want to use high flow, wide covering airbrushing I use an Iwata Revolution which has a .5mm set up, but the cleaning is more laborious as it has a screw on nozzle in contrast with the Eclipse which doesn't.

Can you take the needle of the Infinity through the front of the airbrush? Is the nozzle a screw on type?

Jose

Takes about one minute to switch between the tips. You just unscrew the tip in its housing, pull out the needle, screw on the new tip and insert the 0.4 needle.
And that is if you are slow. :worship: It is quite simple and fast to change out needle/tip combinations. I keep all my needles and tips in the plastic tubes H&S uses and then have all the airbrush stuff in a drawer. It takes longer to sort through the tubes to find the one I want then it does to actually make the switch.

My humble opinion is as follows...

Just like with any tool, for the most part you get what you pay for. I can tell you I've used just about every common airbrush there is and without any doubt, you will hate to put down the Infinity, to pick up another brush.

It's that good.

I´d concur with this and as to the previously mentioned issue concerning the metal paint that would make it sputter - I´d say if you have a paint with sufficiently small pigments you just have to add enough thinner and there´s not gonna be any noticeable difference between the tips.

I haven´t used the 0.15 too often, only for some very detailed spraying in 1/32nd scale, but I always kept to this and it has worked ever since.

Edited by upupandaway
  • 4 months later...

I am trying to decide between the Evolution and Infinity models. I primarily use enamels and some lacquers on 1/48 scale aircraft. I have read through the thread and both seem to be really good airbrushes. Is there some feature of the Infinity that is worth the extra money? I was thinking of buying the 2 in 1 version of either and with the Evolution it comes with a 0.2mm and 0.4mm nozzle. An Infinity comes with a 0.15 and 0.4mm nozzle. I was thinking the 0.2mm nozzle of the Evolution would be better suited for the types of paints I use. They both seem to use the same needles and nozzles. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Tom

I am trying to decide between the Evolution and Infinity models. I primarily use enamels and some lacquers on 1/48 scale aircraft. I have read through the thread and both seem to be really good airbrushes. Is there some feature of the Infinity that is worth the extra money? I was thinking of buying the 2 in 1 version of either and with the Evolution it comes with a 0.2mm and 0.4mm nozzle. An Infinity comes with a 0.15 and 0.4mm nozzle. I was thinking the 0.2mm nozzle of the Evolution would be better suited for the types of paints I use. They both seem to use the same needles and nozzles. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Tom

I have both, and the major difference is that the Infinity looks cooler :) Actually, the Infinity has presets that can be used for both air flow and paint volume. I seldom if ever bother to use the presets though so it is pretty much of a wash between them. I build 1/72 and use the 0.15mm tip/needle once in a while for detail stuff such as the mottles on a Luftwaffe camouflage scheme. For overall coverage, Future spraying, and on larger models, I use the .4mm tip/needle, and use the .2mm set as my general purpose set-up. If you are building 1/48, go for the .2mm and .4mm set. Needles and tips can also be purchased separately should you decide to try the .15 set in the future.

My humble opinion is as follows...

Just like with any tool, for the most part you get what you pay for. I can tell you I've used just about every common airbrush there is and without any doubt, you will hate to put down the Infinity, to pick up another brush.

It's that good.

Best thing about the Infinity is that I have yet to have to replace a color tip or needle on it since I bought it..and I even got back ups when i bought it. I was replacing the needle or color tips on my Iwata airbrush every 6 months. The Infinity is stainless steel where as the Iwatas are chromed brass that doesnt take much punshement.

Best thing about the Infinity is that I have yet to have to replace a color tip or needle on it since I bought it..and I even got back ups when i bought it. I was replacing the needle or color tips on my Iwata airbrush every 6 months. The Infinity is stainless steel where as the Iwatas are chromed brass that doesnt take much punshement.

My experience was just the opposite. The needle for my Iwata HP-C was indestructible during the 7 years I used it. In contrast, the long, fine taper the H&S needles have make them much more susceptible to damage. I think I bent the tip on the first 0.15mm needle I had the very first time I used it. For that reason, I have a complete set of spare needles, 'just in case'. Not sure if the Iwata needle was stainless steel, but it was definitely not chromed brass.

Well i just got my Infinity and I love it. Think about it, the Iwata custom micron needle being there smallest needle is bigger then the Infinity 0.15 needle and it's cheaper. I couldn't believe the lines I was able to produce with it. I have an Iwata Eclipes<spelling for the bigger jobs and metalizers, varnishes and such but my new Infinity will handle everyting i can throw at it.

FWIW

Jim

Thanks for the help guys. I guess the Infinity has some extra features that I may or may not need but basically both airbrushes have the same performance as far as detail work and coverage. I appreciate the help.

Tom