Tomcat,

For most of my drybrushing ,I use a # 2 shader.It`s a flat brush about a 1/4 " wide .I think you will find this type of brush most useful.I also use on occasion a short bristled,round # 2 as well.Looks kind if a stenciling brush,also about a 1/4 in diameter.

Just remember,very little hi-lite colored paint and nice soft sweeping strokes.There should barely be any paint on the bristles ,hence the name " drybrush".

Remember that guy on PBS with the painting show.....soft spoken ,white guy with the afro. Like he would say..." two hairs and some air"

HTH

Paul T

Tomcat,

For most of my drybrushing ,I use a # 2 shader.It`s a flat brush about a 1/4 " wide .I think you will find this type of brush most useful.I also use on occasion a short bristled,round # 2 as well.Looks kind if a stenciling brush,also about a 1/4 in diameter.

Just remember,very little hi-lite colored paint and nice soft sweeping strokes.There should barely be any paint on the bristles ,hence the name " drybrush".

Remember that guy on PBS with the painting show.....soft spoken ,white guy with the afro. Like he would say..." two hairs and some air"

HTH

Paul T

I use a red sable flat, #2, but sometimes smaller depending on circumstances . . .

That guy on PBS was Bob "There are no mistakes! Just happy accidents" Ross. Passed away about four five years ago.

Old Blind Dog

Yes ,that`s the fellow ,Bob Ross. I have never heard such a calming voice such as his.Too bad he passed away ,I used to watch his show on Saturday afternoons.

Another one of his sayings,while cleaning his 3" brush in oderless thinners , and then smacking it on his easel to get rid of the excess ..." just beat that old devil right out of there....heh..heh..heh"

Paul T

I had no idea Bob Ross passed away. That is too bad, I really enjoyed watching his show. The guy sure did do some great work with minimalistic techniques.

To the original question, I use a couple of old 1/4" brushes that are not much good for anything else. Whatever size you choose just make sure it is a flat brush.