I'm doing the Boston Red Sox 2004 World Champions commemorative plane using the Hobby Boss 1/48 kit and the Kedi Decals set. I've been working on it for a while but have only just gotten to the point where I have any progress to show.

I'm using the Eduard color photo etch, and it really makes a difference when it comes to the instrument panel and cockpit side panels. I don't think I could get this much detail with a brush:

122_2206.jpg

122_2212.jpg

So far I've only added the basic paint to the ejection seat (kit part) and will also be using the Eduard photo etch to spruce it up a bit. This will be the first time I haven't used a resin seat in quite a while:

122_2215.jpg

Thanks for looking.

I too just added the cockpit PE to my HB kit, it was easy. I used to want to do resin updates to everything but they are so freakin' expensive now that PE and a resin seat (maybe) makes all the difference for me for a much better price. I look with envy at the new PE for the 1/32 F-15E and F-14 by tamiya, wish I had that stuff available when I did 1/32 stuff.

Brian

Edited by metroman

Thanks everyone for the nice comments. The color photo etch makes the job pretty easy. And I really think it's going to add a lot to the ejection seat. Hopefully I can get some better photos of the seat as I progress.

And I'm really hoping this won't turn into a Yankees vs. Red Sox thread. :soapbox:

Edited by David Walker
Thanks everyone for the nice comments. The color photo etch makes the job pretty easy. And I really think it's going to add a lot to the ejection seat. Hopefully I can get some better photos of the seat as I progress.

And I'm really hoping this won't turn into a Yankees vs. Red Sox thread. :D

no it won't! not by me at least! i just like to bust chops now and again. you pit really does look nice.

Semper Fi

Dan

• 2 weeks later...

With ARC down I did get some building done. One thing I was a little disappointed in when it came to the Hobby Boss kit was the engine exhausts, as there's nothing there. I ended up adding the flame holders from the Mono. kit into the HB parts and it helps a lot:

122_2222.jpg

I also finished the ejection seat, using the kit seat and the Eduard color photo etch parts. I then used an acrylic wash and dull coated it. I don't think I've used anything but resin seats for years, but I'm pretty happy with the way this turned out:

122_2225.jpg

122_2224.jpg

122_2227.jpg

122_2226.jpg

I have a set of the Eric Mark A-10 inlets for the Monogram kit, but as Tom Silkowski here on ARC recently adapted them to the HB kit I thought I'd go that route also.

Kit inlet:

122_2231.jpg

Inlet lip sanding back and fan removed:

122_2235.jpg

Resin inlet taped in place. It will take a bit more work but I'm happy with it so far:

122_2239.jpg

Edited by David Walker

Also, as this plane did not have the fairings covering the gun cooling vents on the port side of the nose (they were removed around 2003) but the Hobby Boss kit has them molded in place, some modification was going to be needed. I used a dremel to remove the fairings and glued some sheet styrene insided the nose to block off the rather large holes this caused. I used Tamiya epoxy putty to fill the holes and then used the back end of a #11 blade to add the large vertical vent in the putty before it dried, and later sanded the area smooth. I'll still need to add a small piece of sheet plastic to represent the plate with the round opening, as shown in this Ken Middleton photo:

A-10A_780644_KBAF_Torch_20July2007_.jpg

Putty sanded smooth after the two fairings were removed and subsequent holes filled:

122_2242.jpg

Better shot showing the new vent and some rescribing around the vent:

122_2245.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Edited by David Walker
so you were the one to out bid me on the decals on evil bay. been looing for a set of them for a long time now.

No, I'm afraid I can't take credit for that. <_< I bought these from Kursad in both 1/48 and 1/32 when he first put them out a couple years back.

• 1 month later...