Yeah, me either, but just before I went to mask it I came upstairs to look at photos of it that Ken Middleton had posted a while back and that's certainly the way the pattern looks. You can see it here on the far wing:

A-10A_780644_KBAF_Torch_20July2007_.jpg

And in these two inflight shots:

A-10A_780644_KBAF_Torch_20July20-1.jpg

REDSOX.jpg

I don't know if all the MA A-10As were painted this way, but it certainly appears this one was.

I do like the kit, but it has it's shortcomings. The fit is actually pretty good but there were quite a few places where I had to sand or clean up the mating surfaces as the plastic was kind of rough. It looked like it might be from rough molds. I did replace the intakes with Eric Mark resin ones in order to get the right depth, but the kits ones look really nice. One thing that does warrant replacing is the Pave Penny pylon on the right side of the nose. The Hobby Boss one is apparently about a scale foot and a half short, and it definitely looks it. I used one from a Monogram kit and am much happier with the way it looks.

Overall though I'm happy with it.

Nice bit of information. Thanks.

Yeah, me either, but just before I went to mask it I came upstairs to look at photos of it

Very interesting! Thanks for the photos, David.

Now get back to work! :)

Jake

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the nice comments!

These are the old Kedi decals that Kursad did a few years ago?

Yes, and using them scared me to death. Kursad mentions in the instructions that they are very thin and they may try to roll up on themselves, and he wasn't kidding. Also, because of how thin they are they tend to be a bit fragile. At one point after I had placed one of the port side decals I realized it now read "2004 orld Series Champions": the "W" had vanished. Luckily I found it still adhered to my thumb and I was able to get it applied to the model with some careful work. And the fact that the decals are pretty much irreplaceable at this point didn't help my nervousness either. But boy, do they conform to panel lines!

Edited by David Walker

Yes, and using them scared me to death. Kursad mentions in the instructions that they are very thin and they may try to roll up on themselves, and he wasn't kidding. Also, because of how thin they are they tend to be a bit fragile. At one point after I had placed the one of the port side decals I realized it now read "2004 orld Series Champions": the "W" had vanished. Luckily I found it still adhered to my thumb and I was able to get it applied to the model with some careful work. And the fact that the decals are pretty much irreplaceable at this point didn't help my nervousness either. But boy, do they conform to panel lines!

I also remember them separating from their backing almost instantly after taking out of the water dish

• 5 months later...

Yes, and using them scared me to death. Kursad mentions in the instructions that they are very thin and they may try to roll up on themselves, and he wasn't kidding. Also, because of how thin they are they tend to be a bit fragile. At one point after I had placed one of the port side decals I realized it now read "2004 orld Series Champions": the "W" had vanished. Luckily I found it still adhered to my thumb and I was able to get it applied to the model with some careful work. And the fact that the decals are pretty much irreplaceable at this point didn't help my nervousness either. But boy, do they conform to panel lines!

Hey, I just found this thread! The Hog looks great, and it feels good to see these decals being used now and then. These were fairly popular but I have only seen a handful of builds on the Web and in person.

I'm sorry to hear they were somewhat difficult to use; it was just a limitation of the ALPS printing technique. The TangoPapa decal paper that I used to print these was particularly thin. I liberally applied Liquid Decal Film on every sheet (by hand, mind you!), and I felt like I had to make it very clear on the instructions that these decals require extra care. I am glad to see they worked out, though.

One day I will build up the courage to restart the enterprise as a silkscreen decal company, but I am short of ideas. Hopefully sometime next year..