I'll probably put a training load on it as most of the photos of this particular plane that I have show it that way. I don't think it was ever in combat, and definitely not in these markings. Thanks for the nice comments!

Edited by David Walker

Thanks everyone for the nice comments. I've got the engine cowlings/fans sanded and smoothed (the Eric Mark fans weren't a perfect fit but were pretty close after I modified the cowlings) and I just have to fix a couple of seams and I should be able to start painting.

Edited by David Walker
  • 2 weeks later...
Any updates Dave?

I finally got the resin intakes/plastic nacelles mated, filled and sanded the way I want them and yesterday painted all the gear doors and wheel wells. Hopefully I should be able to get the canopy masked and attached, and start the exterior painting next week.

• 3 weeks later...

Clearly this is taking me quite a bit longer than I wanted, but work picked up and the weapon pylons were really bugging me. Hobby Boss would have the shackles attached directly to the bottom of the pylons when they should actually be sunk into the pylons. They just show indentations where the shackles should be:

122_2300.jpg

I used a small file and opened up the slots:

123_2302.jpg

And then added the sliightly modified shackles (I used some from the kit and some from a Has. P-51D that were actually nicer):

123_2305.jpg

123_2307.jpg

I shot the topside FS36375 a couple days ago, and today, using a technique that was brought up in this thread back in Feb:

http://www.arcforums.com/forums/air/index....=145128&hl=

added the FS36320. I used strips of the Nexcare tape (just like you would BluTac) to mask the areas I wanted in the darker grey:

123_2314.jpg

123_2316.jpg

123_2317.jpg

added masking tape to prevent overspray:

123_2323.jpg

123_2321.jpg

and shot the FS36320:

123_2325.jpg

123_2328.jpg

In case I missed it, how do you like the Hobby Boss kit and the fit?

I do like the kit, but it has it's shortcomings. The fit is actually pretty good but there were quite a few places where I had to sand or clean up the mating surfaces as the plastic was kind of rough. It looked like it might be from rough molds. I did replace the intakes with Eric Mark resin ones in order to get the right depth, but the kits ones look really nice. One thing that does warrant replacing is the Pave Penny pylon on the right side of the nose. The Hobby Boss one is apparently about a scale foot and a half short, and it definitely looks it. I used one from a Monogram kit and am much happier with the way it looks.

Overall though I'm happy with it.

Edited by David Walker

Looks great, David! I really like the masking method and sure plan to try it the next time I do mine. Great tip. Did this jet have a special paint camouflage pattern? I've never seen the tops of the wings painted like that on an A-10 before.

Jake