Another Meteor Productions story............

Hi Guys,

I wanted to pass this along to every modeler world wide. I have posted this story on many sites to spread the word. My treatment as a customer from Meteor Productions and the owner David Klaus has been absolutely dreadful. This is a wake up call as to how not to treat customers.

Please refrain from personal attacks.

These are my opinions and the facts.

I sent emails to order 3 each of 1/32 FG.1/FGR.2 British Phantom Super Massive Conversion set and one decal sheet on December 4 2007 with my Visa Credit card number attached. There was no indication of a price other than it would be under $500 for each set and shipped around Christmas.

http://meteorprod.com/FG1FGR2UpdatePage.html

My Visa card was charged on 7 Dec 2007 a total of $1,609.44cad

I have received no personal emails or telephone calls to indicate this order is going to be shipped or has been shipped since the order was placed. Two months went by with no action. No customer service!

I called in the middle of January and spoke with a customer service person named to inquire if the items had been shipped or when they were being sent. We discussed Meteor’s delay and planned shipping and postage options. I was told they were going to be sent very soon and I was put to the front of the line to be shipped. Te customer service Rep was really vague and non committal or firm to say when my items would be shipped.

I called again on Jan 28, 2008 at and asked if my order was shipped or when is it getting shipped. I was told they have started shipping slowly and that I was towards the top. The service person also indicated the order would be sent by the end of the week or early the next week. Basically sounded like a run around for a company not meeting its obligations.

On February 8, 2008 I placed a few calls to Meteor Productions between 8-9 am with an answering machine giving me the runaround and no voicemail. I tried again after 9am and a guy answered and I asked if it was Meteor and he said yes. I asked whom I was speaking with and I finally got it out of him that it was David Klaus. I started to say how I was disappointed with the direction and handling of my transaction considering they took $1600 over 2 months ago. He claimed they had shipped 25 already. Then I was asked do you want to cancel your order and at that point I was ****** off and at his tone and response that I said yes and he hung up on me???? Of course then a couple of emails came indicating my order was cancelled and that I wasn’t welcome to shop at Meteor any more. This handling does not reflect Meteor Productions Terms and Conditions what so ever.

My guess is that Meteor Productions has thousands of dollars of deposits for promised undelivered conversion kits which no one has received yet. I am deeply concerned for other modelers who have money for these undelivered kits sitting with Meteor Productions. I suggest you protect yourselves you demand delivery or a refund for any outstanding items. Who knows if they will deliver or continue to meet their customer commitments?

It’s unfortunate that a company who generally produces such high quality products is demonstrating very poor handling of customers and terrible business practices. They are slowly eroding their customer base and confidence of modelers all over the world. To take my $1600 and sit on it for 2 months with no action and then to be treated poorly when you inquire is totally unacceptable. I’m not taking that crap no way Klaus!

All I can say to everyone is man I love this hobby but it isn’t worth the aggravation dealing with a company like that. I’m not worried that I can’t shop at Meteor Productions; there are so many other great vendors, products and service out there.

I forgot to mention no big deal on missing out on a 1/32nd UK Phantom conversion set because Trumpeter will be doing a UK phantom in 1/32 any way!

As my Dad say’s “best of British luck†to David Klaus and Meteor Productions

Andrew Forster

Toronto Canada

No bashing here....

But it seems that this is the way Mr. Klaus has chosen to treat his customers these days. It would seem that MP is imploding....and a true shame, since most of their stuff is quite nice.

Good to go,

Jim

No bashing here....

But it seems that this is the way Mr. Klaus has chosen to treat his customers these days. It would seem that MP is imploding....and a true shame, since most of their stuff is quite nice.

Good to go,

Jim

You are right, Sabre. MP fiddlies have always been a notch above. I remember them from years back. Maybe, there are more things going on with the good Mr. K., than any of us knows. Personal, health, financial - all these things can play havoc with a man's outlook. Perhpas he just succumbed to celebrity disease... he was good for a long time and so thinks he will always be. He must keep in mind that there are no end of newcomers to fight for the throne.

If he were to ask me, I would suggest the good Mr. Klaus get an outside business and relations manager. This would free him up to become the New Age Modeling Guru he fancies himself as. He could then concentrate on product development, his forte.

But that would require humility and by all accounts, Mr. K. lacks that in good measure. WE shall see.

I must in the extreme minority of good and happy customers here. I ordered the SR-71 decals and a the SR-71 exhaust cones and had them w/in a week.

I have never had anything but good experiences with Mr. Klaus and Meteor Productions and I am unashamed to say so.

Man... that really sucks Andrew. Weather you spend $1600.00 or $16.00, a customer's order should always be handled promptly and most importantly the customer should be treated with respect. Thanks for sharing with us. I ordered from Meteor a long time ago. Never had a problem. But when someone gets screwed around like you were, it makes me look elsewhere to shop in the future.

Randy

I must in the extreme minority of good and happy customers here. I ordered the SR-71 decals and a the SR-71 exhaust cones and had them w/in a week.

I have never had anything but good experiences with Mr. Klaus and Meteor Productions and I am unashamed to say so.

I am with you. I have never had a problem with Meteor. Two of my favorite books, one on CF-104s and the RCN Banshees came from Meteor back in the 1990s and my latest purchase of B-52 decals came within a week.

Follow up

To add to my comments.

Contrary to one claim as always I was calm, professional but direct on the phone with Mr Klaus. My job is customer service!

Meteor was given a demand letter via email and fax right a which demanded the 3 kits with proof of shipping or a Refund by 6pm or further action would be taken against Meteor Productions. This was sent right after Klaus hung up the phone.

A Refund has been credited on my credit card for the owed US dollar amount as of today. But with the strong Canadian dollar I am out of pocket $80. I'm not going to cry about the $80 because I could have been a lot more out of pocket!

Thanks for the input and suggestions. It's an unfortunate situation considering I have previously dealt with Meteor and was pleased with the service and product.

Now it's back to my 1/48 Italeri Chinook and the paint shop

cheers

Andy

Well, NOBODY will ever have to worry about bad customer service from Meteor again, they have ceased operating as of this morning.

Officially, yes. Unofficially, Saturday!! They quit taing orders sometime early Saturday morning!!

But, not to worry, there are other resin companies out there and probably just as good if not better!!!

Officially, yes. Unofficially, Saturday!! They quit taing orders sometime early Saturday morning!!

But, not to worry, there are other resin companies out there and probably just as good if not better!!!

Officially or not, as long as the B-52 stuff Meteor said was shipped last Thursday shows up at my house I'm good to go.

Meteor's products were top notch, they really were. I've heard lots of horror stories about their service, but I've had flawless transactions with them during the three times I've purchased.

We'll see what happens with the last purchase I made before they went under.

Guys,

Sorry to buck the trend here but I have been dealing with Meteor Productions and Dave Klaus for over TEN years now and have NEVER ONCE experienced any problems with the Service, reliability, etc. I have one of the Brit Phantom kits on order and have been REGULARLY and CONSTANTLY appraised of the progress with the production of this kit......Even TODAY, after they have closed, I received another communication giving me an update. Strikes me that its all a matter of perception and attitude....This hobby is definately one for the patient and understanding type and yet I have met many who are anything but......I regularly work on the periphery of the hobby (and have done so for over 20 years) BUT I am in NO WAY associated with Meteor Productions so this is a completely impartial and personal expression of my own experiences with the Company. I will be VERY SORRY to see them go since they did enrich our hobby...

Tigerfan112 (It would appear one in the minority !) :thumbsup:

Well, my B-52 stuff showed up today. It made me remember how good Meteor's products were. The resin casting is superb and flawless. It seems really accurate. I kind of wish I had gotten some of the 1/72 SR-71 and B-52 decals. Oh well, life goes on I guess.

Guys,

Sorry to buck the trend here but I have been dealing with Meteor Productions and Dave Klaus for over TEN years now and have NEVER ONCE experienced any problems with the Service, reliability, etc. I have one of the Brit Phantom kits on order and have been REGULARLY and CONSTANTLY appraised of the progress with the production of this kit......Even TODAY, after they have closed, I received another communication giving me an update. Strikes me that its all a matter of perception and attitude....This hobby is definately one for the patient and understanding type and yet I have met many who are anything but......I regularly work on the periphery of the hobby (and have done so for over 20 years) BUT I am in NO WAY associated with Meteor Productions so this is a completely impartial and personal expression of my own experiences with the Company. I will be VERY SORRY to see them go since they did enrich our hobby...

Tigerfan112 (It would appear one in the minority !) :thumbsup:

Until about 10 months ago I would be saying the same thing. I found out the hard way that I was a newfound member of the "Meteor Blacklist". My crime I guess was on a previous order (about 10 months before that) I called and tried to change an order that was placed a couple days before one of their sales. I tried to get them to accept the the sale prices a day or two ahead of the start (on Monday it started on Wednesday) and it was a no go. I cancelled the order and then re-ordered on the sale date, and got my order just fine.

What's wrong with trying to save some money? That was my only motive, and as a customer I think I have that right...Dave apparently didn't think so even though I was a dedicated customer since 1996.

So, rumor has it Meteor is being liquidated per court order as part of a divorce? Has anyone bothered checking the Public court access online for his state? That would at least show a divorce action, and make that rumor plausible.

On the other hand, if I was MMD or another manufacturer I would be making some strong overtures to purchase all of those molds....

Guys,

Tigerfan112 (It would appear one in the minority !) :pray:

Gentlemen, 19 Feb 08

I, too, have had good dealings with MP for over ten + years. I ordered his products for a retail hobby shop and for my own personal projects and never had any sort of problems or complaints. Of late, there were some mix-ups with credit cards and prompt shipments, but nothing to wax prophetic about. I have one of the WHA32001 British Phantom conversion sets on order and my CC was charged $504.97 on 12 Dec 07. I received several update emails from Dave keeping me informed as to the status of the project and my order. In another part of this forum, I posed this question, has ANYONE actually received their WHA32001 set? Please let me know. Thank you.

I suppose I am trying to "Protect. MY. Joy". No one else will so I'm responsible for MY joy. I am also trying to protect MY funds! :huh:

If Dave Klaus has been going through some personal turmoil all I can do is wish him well and pray for him. He's been a straight shooter with me since I've first met him years ago at a local NJ IPMS model contest.

Brian

Ain't gonna happen, MMD and Meteor are not on good terms. (see a pattern?)

Ken

Yep. Frankly, the whole blacklist thing, while it may be the problem that directly impacted the most modellers, is the least of the issues Meteor had, the least of the reasons to have avoided them. Their shady dealings with NUMEROUS small producers, retailers and wholesalers was far worse. There are precious few cottage industry guys who didn't have a run-in with Meteor at some point - and this includes the people who actually created the masters and artwork for the resin and decals Cutting Edge sold, the guys who made all those sets people are missing now that they're gone.

I'm sure there are plenty of people who've been mailed cease and desist letters or threatened with legal action when they tried to recoup their funds/products/references who are hoisting a glass in celebration today.

Gentlemen, 19 Feb 08

I, too, have had good dealings with MP for over ten + years. I ordered his products for a retail hobby shop and for my own personal projects and never had any sort of problems or complaints. Of late, there were some mix-ups with credit cards and prompt shipments, but nothing to wax prophetic about. I have one of the WHA32001 British Phantom conversion sets on order and my CC was charged $504.97 on 12 Dec 07. I received several update emails from Dave keeping me informed as to the status of the project and my order. In another part of this forum, I posed this question, has ANYONE actually received their WHA32001 set? Please let me know. Thank you.

I suppose I am trying to "Protect. MY. Joy". No one else will so I'm responsible for MY joy. I am also trying to protect MY funds! :woot.gif:

If Dave Klaus has been going through some personal turmoil all I can do is wish him well and pray for him. He's been a straight shooter with me since I've first met him years ago at a local NJ IPMS model contest.

Brian

Brian,

I couldnt agree more with your sentiments. BTW, I LOVED Dave's parting shots in his farewell video on the website...Go take a look. Thanks for your support Im glad someone else out there is a little more understanding....

Tigerfan112

Yep. Frankly, the whole blacklist thing, while it may be the problem that directly impacted the most modellers, is the least of the issues Meteor had, the least of the reasons to have avoided them. Their shady dealings with NUMEROUS small producers, retailers and wholesalers was far worse. There are precious few cottage industry guys who didn't have a run-in with Meteor at some point - and this includes the people who actually created the masters and artwork for the resin and decals Cutting Edge sold, the guys who made all those sets people are missing now that they're gone.

I'm sure there are plenty of people who've been mailed cease and desist letters or threatened with legal action when they tried to recoup their funds/products/references who are hoisting a glass in celebration today.

Dont count on it......I think youll find many more drowning their sorrows.....

• 16 years later...

While a lot of people are/have bemoaned how Dave treated customers, he didn't treat his friends much better.

When I lived in the DC area Dave and I would have breakfast on a lot of Sunday's.  We'd talk airplanes and my long suffering ThEx (The Ex) would have to go along.  I knew him when he started casting, along with Sherm Collins and Chirs Miller in the DC area.  So I knew him for a good many years, and thought we were friends.

I did a lot of patterns for Dave, mostly Bombs and missiles.  I was working in "the Community" at time and DIA from '96- 2000.

When ThEx and I moved back to Colorado Dave essentially wrote me off as not being able to do work for him anymore.

How can you know someone for a number of years, then drop them, without having serious issues.

Just another Klaus story.....