How do you stay logged in?

The problem was fixed during the day today. For most people it is resolved. For others still having problems..... deleting your Temp internet files and cookies might be necessary.

Quit Internet Explorer and quit any instances of Windows Explorer.

2. Click Start, click Control Panel, and then double-click Internet Options.

3. On the General tab, click Delete Files under Temporary Internet Files.

4. In the Delete Files dialog box, click to select the Delete all offline content check box , and then click OK.

5. Click OK.

Eh... not the end of the world for me.

I've always had the computer set to dump cookies every time I close the browser (whether IE or firefox).

It also dumps all the temp files every time I shut down.

Both for disk space and privacy.

In other words, logging on every visit is normal for me.

One person dumped their cookies and Temporary internet files about 6 times before this problem went away.

Another person did this trick. Everytime the loaded the forum page they would hold down their "Ctrl" key while they pressed the F5 key This little trick forces the browser to reload all the files for that webpage. After doing this about 6 times the problem went away.

Whether either of these "solutions" will fix the problem for other users is anyone's guess.......but you can try those.

I will get back to you if I come up with any other possible solutions.

same here...

Pete

I might suggest this idea.

Find a computer you've not used to visit the ARC forums. Log onto the forums and use them and see if the problem still exists. This would at least begin to narrow down the problem a bit.

We're dealing with a new version of the program on a new server computer and there is also the aspect that the forums have moved which means the problem could be related to any of these factors or a combination of these factors.

Also.... no one seems interested in volunteering basic info such as which browser and version you are using. The goal here is to find a common thread and narrow down the problem.

Posting that you have a problem is not going to move things ahead very quickly.....if at all.

My guess at this point is this problem is related to how your computer interacts with the forums program. There is a conflict either with the newer version of the program on the forum move. The fact the problem seems to go away for some prople makes me think it is more related to the forum move and cookie issues etc. If it was a clean cold conflict between your computer and the forum program then I would expect trhe problem to remain and not go away as it has for some prople.

Perhaps experiment with a different browser. It works fine on all 3 of my computers which are running on 2 totally different internet connections with 2 separate compnaies....all are using IE6 as a browser.

Finally....let me know if you have a static IP connection or a dynamic IP connection. DSL is static and cable is dynamic usually.

Steve,

Since I have already tried the delete cookies solution without success I have moved on to the Ctrl+F5 solution. I have yet to log in after having tried that, but it was earlier today so time will tell if it works.

Regards,

Steve,

Since I have already tried the delete cookies solution without success I have moved on to the Ctrl+F5 solution. I have yet to log in after having tried that, but it was earlier today so time will tell if it works.

Regards,

I got an e-mail from someone that did the ctrl F5 trick a number of times and it finally sorted things out. This latest version of the forums programs had a massive behind the scenes upgrade. It also appears they did some work on the cookies......which appears to be causing issues......at least I think there is some sort of connection.

Steve,

So far it's working, but I sometimes get this error message:

Internal Server Error

The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.

Please contact the server administrator, webadmin@kundenserver.de and inform them of the time the error occurred, and anything you might have done that may have caused the error.

More information about this error may be available in the server error log.

Additionally, a 500 Internal Server Error error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

What is causing that?

Regards,

OK....the internal server error is a different problem. :worship:

Did you find the ctrl F5 trick fixed your problem of not being able to stay logged in?

Steve,

So far it's working, but I sometimes get this error message:

Internal Server Error

The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.

Please contact the server administrator, webadmin@kundenserver.de and inform them of the time the error occurred, and anything you might have done that may have caused the error.

More information about this error may be available in the server error log.

Additionally, a 500 Internal Server Error error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

What is causing that?

Regards,

Did you find the ctrl F5 trick fixed your problem of not being able to stay logged in?

So far it did, but I can't say for sure before tomorrow or on Monday. I'll post here if it doesn't work. :worship:

Regards,

same here...with only my home computer, which has vista (yuck) and Explorer 7.0.6000. Work is XP and Explorer 7 (not sure but I believe it is updated). It is a shocker, but could it be Vista?

I did give the basic info on the computer giving me problems but here it is again. i checked it out on the other computers at work (running Windows XP Small Business, IE 7.0.6000) and it work fine. The only place I am having problems is on my home laptop with the above details. F5 and repeatedly cleaning my temp Internet files/cookies did not solve the problem-

Steve, it started happening to me today. I use Firefox and had not had any problems ever with the boards, even after the upgrade. I was logged in and went to reply to a post, and it said I couldn't reply. I was baffled until I relaized I was not logged in any more. I tried logging in, and it said it was logging me in by name, and then it brought me to the main page and I was not logged in. I cleaned out the cache, and it still didn't help.

I would be able to get logged in finally, but then even just surfing thru posts, it would log me out. It happened to both my son (MTM) and I today.

I am using IE 7 and not having any problems. Not a big deal, I can use IE.

Same here, no biggie, I tried the 2 tricks, and I still have to keep logging in every time. Oddly enough, not only have I not experienced any trouble from work, if I happen to be using Cheryls windows profile, I dont have to log in. :blink:

Weird, I'm sorta having the opposite problem.

I often don't log on and just lurk, but lately when I open a new window it shows that I'm logged on!

I thought somebody may have logged in with my password so I had Zactowoman log on on her computer and it showed that I actually wasn't logged in...

Whacky confusers!

:blink:

Steve-

Since you mentioned it, I'm running Firefox - but then again, I've set Firefox to dump everything when I close it, and set windows to dump everything remotely temporary with every shutdown, and I run Window-Washer every other day or so...

In other words, I've been logging in for every visit for the last 3-4 years or more, so I'm probably a bad data point.