Pierre's Swordfish - The Stringbag Diorama

Man, Pierre, I thought I was going to cry watching the progress of beating the hell out of that diorama to get the floats out. Fortunately, the repairs came out great! Perhaps this time, you could find a barrier between the struts and the poured resin. Could a thin coat of something like Vaseline help keep the "water" from sticking to the floats?

WoW Pierre!

Looking at the pictures of your "fight" with the ruined diorama was truly painful: if I had been in your situation I think I would have given up and just sent the whole thing in the garbage bin. Your patience and skills are remarkable! It's great to see that the Swordfish is restored to its beauty and that a new improved diorama is already on its way!

I hope to see more progresses soon!

/Kristian

Hey pierre, just wanted to say that you are doing a fantastic job.

Even after the mishap you still have the high energy to repair it and do the diorama again :deadhorse1:

Waiting for new updates :popcorn:

Regev.

Edited by regevmo

:pray:

What a helluva thread!!!

Pierre! Anybody else would just take a trip down to the modelshop or order a new kit and bin those old floats. But not the "Madman"! LOL!

Loved the "water" in your first dio. Can't wait to see version 2..! I beleive Woodland scenics has a "water" solution for dioramas. Ever tried it?

Keep up the great work, Pierre!

Jorgen "Troll" Toll

:thumbsup:

Version 2 coming along ;)

Like nothing ever happened to it..! Nice craftmanship there!

Doing the water the same way as last time? What was the deal with the uncured resin? Wrong mix?

Jorgen "Troll" Toll

:crying2:

...Doing the water the same way as last time? What was the deal with the uncured resin? Wrong mix?

Hi Jorgen, I do not know what happened to my first resin. Maybe I was wrong with the mix proportions (volume instead of weight?). The instructions did not mention anything as fas as I remember.

This time I bought special clear resin at a professional shop. They specify that the mix ratio is WEIGHT, so that error won't happen again :crying2:

Edited by Scalephantomphixer

Ok!

Well, better luck this time then!

I'd really appreciate it if you could document the whole layering technique with inks. How you mix it, what ink, how you make the bottom...

I know it's a lot to ask for when you have to mix resin and focus on all that... But it would be really cool to see.

Jorgen "Troll" Toll

:trolls:

With rocks and weed for the fishes :trolls:

080615Swordfish_01export.jpg

080615Swordfish_02export.jpg

For Jorgen: the water grounds are made with material from the train guys: brown tinted "white" glue, wet-painted on the ground, gravel spread on it, stones placed one by one to appropriate places, more glue on the jetty pilars and "weed" stuck to the wet glue. A long but rewarding "gardener" job B)

Edited by Scalephantomphixer

Pierre,

I followed the build of the Swordfish and the first part of the diorama, but somehow prior to the "move" it dropped off my radar screen. Popped up this morning, and I have been catching up on the details of the repair. I have to add my belated condolences and cheers for what you have accomplished. The Swordfish build was one of the most fantastic threads I have read, and the start of the diorama build was great too. But to have saved this work of art from the trash bin, to once again sit in all its deserved glory as a completed project, will surely bring satisfaction and pride to your efforts. I am looking forward to seeing this one "in the water" again. B)

For Jorgen: the water grounds are made with material from the train guys: brown tinted "white" glue, wet-painted on the ground, gravel spread on it, stones placed one by one to appropriate places, more glue on the jetty pilars and "weed" stuck to the wet glue. A long but rewarding "gardener" job :cheers:

Really neat!

What about a fish, in the water... I bet you can't do it! :)

Jorgen "Troll" Toll

:salute:

You bet? :worship:

Yup! I mean, your're good, but not that good..! :thumbsup:

I bet you 1 Freia pure Norwegian chocolatebar against 1 Lindt genuine Swiss chocolatebar, that you can't model a fish in the resin water of that Stringbag dio. :lol:

Are we on..?

Jorgen "Troll" Toll

:whistle:

Actually it's a little known aspect of the secret WWII plan to train herring as a submarine scouting force. Once they found the U-boat they would swim up to the float Swordfish, and communicate the location to the pilot. He would then take off and go after the sub.