After much building, painting, and a bit of swearing, here she is in all her resplendent glory- a real dog of a kit turned into something a bit less then a dog. Presenting: an Ilya Muromets, the first four-engined bomber.

ilyadone.jpg

ilyadone1.jpg

ilyadone2.jpg

ilyadone3.jpg

ilyadone4.jpg

ilyadone5.jpg

ilyadone6.jpg

ilyadone7.jpg

Not much to say, save that I really like how the props turned out for my first attempt at natural wood ones.

Next up? Maybe I'll try some lozenge camo..... :huh:

:thumbsup: Hello Lucien,

I have to agree with billb on this one. Fantstic work on such a complicated model subject. I love the props and general finish and the bright metal work around the cockpit and cabin windows. Can you tell me what the device out the front of the nose is?

Cheers,

Ross.

Looks great Lucien. I've been thinking about picking this one up for quite a while. Pretty ambitious for someone who's never built a WWI a/c huh? (I'll start small first). How much experience do you have with these aircraft? Roden's Staaken is intriguing too, I think after this one you could do a nice job on that one also.

Thanks, everybody. When it comes to WWI aircraft, I really don't know that much at all. The two things that I really picked up from this one are 1): Rigging is NOT hard, just tedious, and 2): Be the most scared of positioning the upper wing. Everything else is just like building a normal kit.

Oh yeah, and most importantly: DON'T DROP IT!!!! (I actually did drop this one once- almost scuttled the build completely!)

Roden's Staaken is a very real possibility. I would like to get a bit of experience uisng lozenge decals first on something a bit smaller, just so I'm ready. If/when I get it, I may modify it a bit to represent one of the other Staaken R. VIs with a different nose.

I considered going whole hog and building an R. XIV with the fifth engine, but that's quite a bit to do. With a $80 kit I REALLY don't want to screw it up.

I also have a book with information on ALL the German R- planes of WWI, some of which would not be out of the realm of possibility for a scratchbuild..... :thumbsup:

In any case, thanks again. I'm DEFINITELY not done with biplanes yet!

Edited by Lucien Harpress

Very nice Lucien! I have both the ICM and the Maquette kits in my stash and I hope mine come out half as nice! :thumbsup:

The rigging looks exceptional, any chance of a "How I did this" post?

Edited by indydog

Lucien, I went and read your in progress thread. Interesting take on the rigging. I have done several "small" bips and I will have to try that single piece rigging style on my next one.

Did you use the instruction rigging plan or did you find a better one somewhere?

Again... masterful job. :blink:

The rigging diagram supplied with the kit was worthless. Most of the rigging information actually came from other built up kits (which may or may not effect the accuracy of mine) in addition to a decent three-view in a book, with certain trouble cleared up by studying period photos (which only helped some of the time). The exact location of some of the tail and other control surface lines may be off by a bit, but it's close enough for me.

Lucien that's some simply outstanding work! You've done a wonderful job simulating the woodgrain on the props and my hat's off to you for tackling such involved rigging!

Your Ilya Muromets is a show-stopper for sure!

Bri2k

From what I've read the fuel tanks from the Maquette are a must, as the ICM ones are too big around to allow the rigging between them. I also hear the tires from the Maquette are more accurate, but of this I have no idea. Check the tail pieces between the two also- ICM's are too small, and while I haven't heard if the Maquette ones are any better, it's a good idea to check out.