A-1H Skyraider "Stump Jumper" in 1/72

I would like to show you my recently finished A-1H Skyraider. I love this aircraft and that was one of the reasons why the built took so long - the model sat about one year on my desk, waiting for the final painting. I didn´t dare to paint the exhaust stains until I worked out a new technique that´s still not perfect but better than the efforst I did before. People using airbrush will definetely laugh about me, but I´m always using the "normal" brush which might explain my problem doing things like exhaust stains.

A-1a.jpg

A-1b.jpg

This is my third Skyraider after building the A-1 by Airfix/Heller and the A-1E by Revellogramm. The Hasegawa kit is of much higher quality (and price) and offer fine and crispy details. Unfortunately I only got hold of a NAVY-version of this kit. Since I wanted to do a USAF-version I ordered a set of decals by Eaglestrike, which included markings for five differents aircraft of the `Nam-era, with one option for the twin-seated A-1E. My first tests using these decals on the "E" were very successful, the decals are definetely worth the money!

A-1e.jpg

A-1f.jpg

About three weeks ago I decided to do the last steps that were required to finish the Skyraider. First I started with the SEA-camo. I really don´t know why I didn´t used the Humbrol 118 for the tan (maybe because last time I used that paint I had problems because the paint needed more than two coats) so I used Revells 88 instead. The coat went on pretty nice and I kept it that way, although I knew that the tailband-stripes would differ from the colour - in real life they are of the same colour.

Since the kit came nearly without weapons (only 4 SUU-14A dispensers and 3 fuel-tanks) I had to scratch-build them (like the minigun and the small yellow droppable survival-kit) and rob my Hasegawa Weapons set.

A-1c.jpg

A-1d.jpg

a-1i.jpg

A-1j.jpg

I painted the exhaust stains by using a mix of clear coat and brown colour. I think I have to add some more black to make it look better. For the stains and fuel-streaks on the tanks I also used thinned black and some future to simulate the streaks.

The pilot is sitting comfortly in his cockpit, looking quite relaxed and obviously is waiting for the clerance to take-off.

A-1g.jpg

A-1h.jpg

HAJO

Edited by Hajo L.

Ahjo, nice job on the Spad, just a note. We called the Spad (DUMP TRUCKS) because they could carry there weight in bombs. If we had a target that was a problem for us, we called in (Sandy ops). Are problem was just staying out of there way, and on the rivers of Vietnam there was little room to turn and run. That load out you have there is not the normal load, normal was BDUs, 750lbs and napum. or as we called it BBQ bombs. "Boats"..