massive f-14 build

:thumbsup: i will be bulding in 1/48 scale 30 YES 30 f-14's as a tribute to the cat but i like the academy bombcat as a staring point and it comes with a lot of stuff but witch is betert revell monogeram or the academy and don't say hasagwa i don't have that kind of cash so what is ever bodys opion on this??

Hm....

Academy and Revell version are almost the same, same cockpit hub, panels... a carbon copy is something Paul Nortress would say without hesitating

However the Academy Version has everything you need to make a bombcat without the need of buying lots of aftermarket parts.

On the other side... Revells Tomcat can be turned into a masterpiece if done properly,but needs alot of corrections to make it look like a D.

Edited by Lock n' Load

i will be doing all models of the cats the A's B's and the D's and will use resin pats to replace what neets to be and even the last 4 to fly and movie f-14's if i cand and of corse the aggerssor cats if u have any ideas let me know

and don't say hasagwa i don't have that kind of cash

Problem is, with both the Revell and Academy kits, you end up spending so much on aftermarket resin to correct them to whatever version you're building that the total cost actually comes in not much less than what you'd spend on a Hasegawa. The biggest advantage either has over the Has. is that they're faster and easier to build.

But to answer the question, I vote for the R/M, hands-down. The Academy just has too many shape issues, and while it's cheaper than the Hasegawa (tho not by much, compared the the Atl/Pac Squadrons 'A' boxings), it's about double the price of the R/M... :deadhorse1:

Daniel

yeah, but revell and academy do have couple big differences. The revell has raised panel lines, the academy has recessed panel lines, but that wierd nose. I'll share a couple thoughs I have.

The academy kit- the nose bothers me. If you do a scheme with a black stripe down the nose, it will make the nose problem a little less obvious but it to me is still really noticable. Like I said above, it does have recessed lines which is nice, but you will have to re scribe the nose if you want panel lines there. OOB there are only a couple tiny shallow lines and they are in totaly wrong places.

revell/monogram kit...yeah. I love it. The shape is different from hasegawa, i.e. they look wierd right next to each other, but I really dont see how one overall has a better shape than the other-exept for the canopy. Hasegawa got it pretty much dead on, revell and academys look funny. If the raised panel lines really bother you you can re scribe them. I tried that on one kit and it didnt take more than half an hour, and you dont have to really concentrate either, you can be watching tv in the background.

Hasegawa, I love this kit too. It has much much better detail. It is really nice to have the full intake trunking and full length exaust trunking. The intakes can be a PITA, but they can be finished nicely with a little work. The intakes are one of the problems with the revell and academy offerings, you will never get rid of all those seams and good luck masking and painting the demarcation line from white to gray once you fixed the seams. But thats only if you care about intakes, I usually dont. If you look carefully you can find A models for $25-ish and B/D model for $35-ish.

It just comes down to if you care about. Do you care about the nose shape? Do you care about recessed lines? Maybe get one of each and see what YOU like. Just have fun.

Hm....

Academy and Revell version are almost the same, same cockpit hub, panels... a carbon copy is something Paul Nortress would say without hesitating

The only thing the RM and Academy kits have in common are the cockpit sections. The cockpits of the two kits are interchangable....identical.

But everything else is different between the two

And welcome to the weekly Academy vs Revellogram vs Hasegawa Tomcat thread. We'll be the official sponsors! Drinks and popcorn are on the left. Please wash your hands when you're done. --Insert horse beating emoticon here--

I hope you would like to use some of our decals for your massive build and please keep us posted with pictures! Check out Andy Mullen's 1/72 collection if you want some inspiration. There's a man that went and did it! My dream has been a 1/48 Nimitz, but I'm starting to lean toward actually doing it in 1/144. Anybody do large ship commission :wacko:builds?

-brian

And welcome to the weekly Academy vs Revellogram vs Hasegawa Tomcat thread. We'll be the official sponsors! Drinks and popcorn are on the left. Please wash your hands when you're done. --Insert horse beating emoticon here--

I hope you would like to use some of our decals for your massive build and please keep us posted with pictures! Check out Andy Mullen's 1/72 collection if you want some inspiration. There's a man that went and did it! My dream has been a 1/48 Nimitz, but I'm starting to lean toward actually doing it in 1/144. Anybody do large ship commission :wacko:builds?

-brian

I could be convinced... for a price :lol: (LOL, PM me if you're serious about it)

Edited by Skull Leader

What, has this come up before or something? :unsure: :P

I, um... I like the Fujimi kit! :cheers::beer4:

Daniel

Skull - convinced of what exactly?...If you're referring to the 1/144 carrier, it is something I've seriously considered it for the ship (got the airwing covered and want to build that!), though at the moment my office is packed with decal paraphernalia and it would take up too much room in the living room. I don't mind spending the $$, but if I buy it instead of build it, I want museum quality...

btw- your decals (the first order from us, I believe) went out yesterday!

-brian

Skull - convinced of what exactly?...If you're referring to the 1/144 carrier, it is something I've seriously considered it for the ship (got the airwing covered and want to build that!), though at the moment my office is packed with decal paraphernalia and it would take up too much room in the living room. I don't mind spending the $$, but if I buy it instead of build it, I want museum quality...

btw- your decals (the first order from us, I believe) went out yesterday!

-brian

sweet, I look forward to receiving them!

:blink: If I were doing a project like that, I would go to my local hobby shop and ask them to order a mass of Hasegawa kits (the cheapest A-, B- and D- versions, not the "limited edition" stuff), and see how close to wholesale they would be willing to sell them to me. After all, it wouldn't be any more work for them to get 30 kits for one person than to get one.

And I'd learn how to cast parts in resin...

i will be bulding in 1/48 scale 30 YES 30 f-14's as a tribute to the cat but i like the academy bombcat as a staring point and it comes with a lot of stuff but witch is betert revell monogeram or the academy and don't say hasagwa i don't have that kind of cash so what is ever bodys opion on this??

well i've built almost all the brands for tomcats in 1/72 (except for the airfix, i really chickened out on that one) and i'm now doing a 1/48 every brand build as well. like paul.nortness. my honest opinion about the hase vs academy vs revell vs italeri vs fujimi vs the other brands is pretty much numbed, after so many tomcats built.. if u have small budget and want a 1 man GB, go for the academy - revell pair. if u are rich and have the cash to spare, 25 hasegawas and 5 academy to use as the weapon set.

it really depends on which part of the world you are in to decide on the cost factor. In the States, hase kits are like, sky high prices, but revell and academy are at reasonable prices and fairly easy to obtain. On the other side of the lake, in Japan, hasegawa kits are often letting go at lower prices. i have seen the hase Atlantic fleet boxing going at equivalent price of as low as us$20.(usually they are about us$45) Academy's bombcat here in asia(singapore and hongkong) is common and averages about equilvalent us$18, and/but the revell is seldom seen! so if u have the right contacts and dun mind flattening boxes, you could theoritically spend less than us$1000 on 30 sets of hasegawa-academy mixed bag.

then you have to think about aftermarkets parts and decals..

my 31 1/72 tomcats has cost me nearly equilvalent of us$450, including aftermarket decals, and i did not buy much resin parts either. so be prepared to fork out a great deal. Unless of course, you only want a certain look to your tomcat collection and do not need the rivet counting detail..

- kevin

Hm....

Academy and Revell version are almost the same, same cockpit hub, panels... a carbon copy is something Paul Nortress would say

Totally wrong

The only thing the RM and Academy kits have in common are the cockpit sections. The cockpits of the two kits are interchangable....identical.

But everything else is different between the two

Thanks for that, the Academy F-14 is not a scribbed version of the Rev-Monogram F-14!!!!

The accuracy of these kits do not compair.

Actually the Academy kit should be at the bottom of the list and does not take a 3rd behind Monogram.

Academy messed up the entire shape of the forward fuselage, not just the nose, the canopy has the most miss shapped profile of ALL 1/48 scale Tomcats offered.

Curt

Yea I don't like that kit.....

• 5 years later...

i am fianly staring this. so all of my tomcats are going to be monogram/revell kits with resin and photo etch and what ever else i can add to them to make them real. so i will be working on these differnt tomcats threw out the year. the first 2 will be the famous gulf of sidra tomcats from vf-41 then the others will be the 2 famous vf-32 mig killers when fighertown comes out with his decals. then the other famous cats are the the first tomcat flown by a girl wich is black lion 103 from 1994 and flown by Lt kara hultgreen. and the other tomcat flown by a girl of wich this pilot was the very last girl ever to fly a tomcat before it was retired. and her name is meagan varley and she flew black lion 212 a f-14d. she is the girl piolt in the flim speed and angels.

so come by once and a while to see updates and pictures if i can ever get it to work

to my fans hear. yes darren roberts is the king when it comes to these kits. i hope to be the prince will i build 30 f-14's will see what happens . the tomcats i am working on now are from vf-41 aka fast eagle 107 and 102 then after that ill be doing the retro jets from vf-213 and other squadrons. and yes every cat i have will be a monogram or revell because of how cheap i can get them. so once i make some progress ill find out how to post pictures.

avoid the Fujimi 1/48 kit like it's the black plague. Not a single accurate shape to be found on the kit, fit is horrible, and lots of fictional excess detail while detail that SHOULD be there is plainly missing. I've built this kit once just to say I did it, but NEVER AGAIN.