massive f-14 build

:thumbsup:/>/> i will be bulding in 1/48 scale 30 YES 30 f-14's as a tribute to the cat but i like the academy bombcat as a staring point and it comes with a lot of stuff but witch is betert revell monogeram or the academy and don't say hasagwa i don't have that kind of cash so what is ever bodys opion on this??

I share your same passion though my collection consists of 85 1:48 Tomcats.

All my kits are of the same brand but I don't want to influence you on my favorite choice so I recommend you continue reading my post...

There have been countless ARC discussions about which brand makes the "best" 1:48 F-14 kits. Being a Tomcat lover and kit collector I have spent huge amount of time researching about this very same issue and so I have bought at least one kit (or more in most cases) of every single brand available to find the best possible answer to this dilemma.

The first thing I learned is that you will find tons of different opinions because not everybody defines the word "best" the same. Every individual judges model kits according to what matters most to them. Some builders care a lot about pieces fitting together without much work, others prefer kits that don't include gazillion pieces, others appreciate the quality of the kit itself. Some have more or less skills than others and this is a huge factor that influences decisions. Another very important factor is price; those who are on a tight budget will prefer Monogram, Fujimi or Italeri kits. Those who don't care much about it will hunt for Hasegawa or Hobby Boss. Anyway, my point is that you will find as much points of view as builders itself.

However, there is one true F-14 model kit comparison done by Darren Roberts and I love it !! It is the only one of its kind (at least that I know of) that quantifies the quality of each kit.

I share this article with anyone I can because it is a GREAT source of help for Tomcat lovers like me !!! You will find your answer there. If you have Darren's skills and your 30 Tomcats are F-14As, then the Academy kits are the ones you should go for.

Follow this link and you won't regret it..

http://www.aircraftresourcecenter.com/Gal10/9301-9400/gal9392-F-14-Roberts/00.shtm

Anyway, if you got this far on my post you should know I only choose Hasegawa kits and the only aftermarket parts I add to them is an Aires or Black Box/Avionix cockpit and Master Model Alfa & Angle of Attack probes. For my personal choice, a Hasegawa finished Tomcat is the best looking F-14 available, but again...it is my personal opinion. I never add any missiles to my Cats so I don't mind Hasegawa kits not including them.

Thanks again to Darren for his outstanding job and passion for Tomcats

Edited by #1 Tomcat Fan

Great review collection. Too bad I'm a 1/72 guy.

One thing I don't get: Academy: "Cockpit ( B ): See Monogram. " but Monogram : "Cockpit (A-)" :confused:

As far as the OP, why 30? Why not 29 or 31, for example? Just curious.

Edited by Uxi

Great review collection. Too bad I'm a 1/72 guy.

One thing I don't get: Academy: "Cockpit ( B ): See Monogram. " but Monogram : "Cockpit (A-)" :confused:

As far as the OP, why 30? Why not 29 or 31, for example? Just curious.

That must have been a typo. If and when I update it, I'll fix it. Thanks for noticing it. In regards to 30 Tomcats, while it's an audacious goal, it can be done. I completed 30 Monogram Tomcats over a period of about 5 years. I chose 30 because I represented one of each fleet squadron.

the ECM blister thats on the F-14b. is it the same one thats on the F-14d the reson i ask is on the F-14b i notice it sticks out more. but on the D it looks more stream lined. the reson i ask is. i will be building f-14b and f-14d so how can i add the parts to my jets?

the ECM blister thats on the F-14b. is it the same one thats on the F-14d the reson i ask is on the F-14b i notice it sticks out more. but on the D it looks more stream lined. the reson i ask is. i will be building f-14b and f-14d so how can i add the parts to my jets?

My suggestion is get a copy of DACO F-14A/B/D book. It is by far the best source to get the answer to these kind of questions.

For quick reference, this information will help you. It was written by one very good friend of mine and true F-14 expert...

http://s362974870.onlinehome.us/forums/air/index.php?showtopic=208719&st=0&p=1979700&hl=163217&fromsearch=1entry1979700

Danny

Re the ECM blisters, the F-14D has a reduced amount of ECM antennae (blisters) compared to the F-14B. The F-14B and F-14A have the four prominent blisters under the wing glove vanes, while the F-14D does not have these. The two blisters on the SIDES of the wing glove vanes are common to all F-14's (later blocks) though, as are the boat-tail ECM antenna.

A great display of these differences can be found in the 'Tomcats 101' thread by VF-103 Guy, at this link.

http://s362974870.onlinehome.us/forums/air/index.php?showtopic=208719

This is a great reference work for just about all the subtle differences you can think of with the F-14's, well worth a read and absolutely worth bookmarking for future building reference.

loki i have bought a lot but i am build them now. because from the tim of the last post in 2008 to now a lot has happened. but i have now discovered air brushing and some other things i am going to a model show this week end so when i get back from the show i will really be working on them . and yes they are monogram/revell kits because of how cheap i can get them for. so for my building i will be doing my tomcats that are 1 color or the 70's gray and white paint job. then ill work my way to the TPS colored cats.

ps any body know a easy way to post pictures?

I too would love to see your Tomcat litter! I have 14 Hasegawa and two Hobby Boss Tomcats, so I understand the passion for the 'Cat!

For picture posting, first you need a photo hosting account (flickr, Picasa, fotki etc.) Then upload your pictures to the picture hosting site. From there, 'open' the picture, copy the url of the image and then you can just click on the little square with the tree in the dialogue box when posting, then paste the url into the space and it will then display!