Revell's "New" 1/48th scale Harrier GR7/9......

it is of course the hasegawa kit ..thats the good news; bad news is that we are still presented with the 65% LERX's....however, if building a 65% LERX'ed GR9, the kit does at least have the "Frog Eyes".

You will need 100% LERX's if building ZG478 - luckily there will be a 100% LERX issued soon......

The decal sheet is nice with markings for GR9 ZG478 (41 Sqn/FJWOEU), GR7 ZD409/"38" (IV Sqn) and GR9A again ZG478 (AWC) BUT...The colour instructions are naff!!

The call out is for Dark Sea Grey over MEDIUM SEA GREY!!!!

Maybe Revell's MSG is nearer to the correct DARK CAMOUFLAGE GREY?

EDIT: Their mix for this colour is: 75% Grau, Seidenmatt 374 + 20% Dunkelgrau, Seidenmatt 378 + 5% Schilfgrun , Seidenmatt 362. Or you could always use Xtracolor X36 or Humbrol 156!!

At least Revell have made an attempt at naming the main colours I suppose, and its good to note that they and Airfix have also named the colours in their Nimrod (correctly in this case), rather than listing paint numbers...maybe this is a good trend - but only if its accurate!!!

RRP is £16.99

Edited by Bill Clark
How's the price in comparison to the Hasegawa boxing?

Jeff

Depends where you go, but most of the places I've seen the Revell kit is only £1 cheaper than Hasegawa.

The frog-eyes have always been in the kit, but they've just never been called off in the destructions as the original kit is the GR.7 and these are only on the 65% LERX GR.9s (they are on all of the 100% LERX aircraft, I believe, but aren't called off as the kit is only 65%).

As for paints, I can't remember the last time I actually paid attention to a Revell paint call-off - they're either completely wrong or involve crazy concoctions of many different shades that I really can't be bothered to tinker with (especially when you can get the correct shade straight out of the tin from Humbrol or Xtracolour).

How's the price in comparison to the Hasegawa boxing?

Over here in Germany, the RoG kit is about a fiver cheaper than the Hasegawa kit. RoG chose to stick a much bigger price tag on this one. Usually the RoG kits of that size cost about 14 to 17 Euro (such as F-86D, F-105G, F4U-7 Corsair). The Harrier goes for around 24 Euro.

Does the kit still have the Stencil seat rather than a MB seat ? What's the correct seat for the GR.9 anyway ? Martin Baker Mk.12 ?

Lothar

Yes, the kit is the standard Hasegawa kit, so the bang-seat is wrong. You will need an MB Mk.12 to make it accurate - check Hannants. I have a couple of Aeroclub seats (white metal and PE) for my two GR.7s.