Search Broken?

I just did a serach for "Spitfire" and turned up one post from Oct 2007. :huh:

I then did a second search for "Meteor" and turned up pages and pages of results. :huh:

LOL. I wounder why? :monkeydance:

I tried again, for some reason the search terms p-47 and f-16 don't come back with anything!

Is there a limitation on how short the search phrase can be?

Yes....all the useful search relating to aircraft don't work. :thumbsup::monkeydance: I'm not sure if other have found a way around this.

I went to google....did an "Advanced serach" fir the domain http://www.arcforums.com and for a search I used F-18 it turned up 1130 results.

The forum search engine is uselsss for anything under a certain number of letters. Int his case searching for F-18 will turn up nothing. Sadly it is a limitation of the program.

So you can use the advanced Google search or sift through the forum articles one by one. I'd love to rewrite the program to sort this out.....but if I tried, then we'd have a dead forum and then the complaints would really roll in.

Yes, i am talking about forum search.

Isnt it possible to fix this somehow? Couldnt you contact those who made this program?

Do you think they will rewite the program because one user out of thousands is having a problem?

Do you think they will rewite the program because one user out of thousands is having a problem?

If we are only one who have problems with it, it is kinda wierd...

But it has to be some kind of fix to this. I consider search option as very helpfull thing...(yeah, i know, google, but i am talking about forum search function)

I just made this comment in another thread, but I think it might be relevent here. I've expanded my thoughts here with more observations.

Searching on the string "B-2" results in an error message.

Searching on the string "Testors" returns 17 pages of threads, including those with the string "B-2".

Hmmmm.

In the old search engine there was a minimum string length of 4(?) characters and I know "F-16" worked. That could explain why "B-2" failed or even why "F-16" failed, if the minimum string length is now greater than four. But maybe it's not the length of the string that's the problem....

In the advanced search options for the new search engine the string "+Testors +B-2" should return all threads with both "Testors" and "B-2" yet it returns an error. I'm wondering if the problem might be the search engine seeing the "-" in "B-2" (or any hyphenated string) as a logical operator ( + - * / etc) instead of a hyphen, and causing the search to return an error.

As a test I opened the forums in a second window, then tried a 'wildcard' search on the string "F*16". Two things happened. One, the search took about three minutes before it returned 14435 pages of results. OK, I know the F-16 is a popular subject but..... :coolio: The first post in the results was the most recent post made in the forum "posted 1 minute ago" and then proceeded chronologically to the next most recent post (not thread, just the most recent post in every thread). I scanned several of these posts and none appeared to contain the string "F-16" or "F(anything)16". It just listed every post made to the forum in the order they were made. For grins I went to the last post on page 14435 and found a post dated June 26 2003. No F-16 permutations there either.

Hmmmm.

The second thing that happened was also interesting to me. Well, frustrating at first but then, as synapses started firing again, it got interesting. While waiting for the 14435 page search result to finish in the second window I went back to the first window to read more posts. Every time I tried to read a post or jump to another sub-forum I received the "Internal Error" message many of us have been seeing lately. When the 14435 page search finally completed in window 2 I was once again able to browse the forums at will in window 1 with no errors. Could it be that the search function runs at a higher priority, or consumes so much CPU time, that it causes all other forum read requests to time out?

Things that make you go Hmmmmm.....

Why not? It's a logical question/comment, and it seems the authors can specify the minimum number of characters (judging by the old software), so I wouldn't think it would require a "rewrite". May not be a big deal (for the software authors).

Gene K

Why not? It's a logical question/comment, and it seems the authors can specify the minimum number of characters (judging by the old software), so I wouldn't think it would require a "rewrite". May not be a big deal (for the software authors).

Gene K

I will follow up on this and other issues in the next week or two. At the moment I'm overloaded in issues relating to the forum and trying to upload 8400 rebuilt gallery articles and double checking and repairing broken links in the gallery archives. I also have a list of issues I'm trying to get to from people being logged off to people still trying to log into the new forums. The main server is going offline today on the ARC site which is another troubling issue.....and the list goes on and on....

Plus the programers are awaiting my input of the latest stage of the slow process to write the program for the new site.....which won't be ready for a year.

Well before, if I typed in "F-18", I'd get a bunch of F-18 stuff...

Now, not only will it not let me type in "f-18" (I get a search error), I get a few matches about hornets, and then a whole bunch of stuff not related to hornets...

:salute:

• 3 weeks later...