Testors 1/48 SR-71

Can't add much to what's already been said, but I've built two of them, and absolutely loved them. It's big, but it was real fun to build and looks wonderful on my shelves back home.

I built them years ago, so it was OOB. If I were to build it again, I would throw in the TD pit.

15.jpg

13.jpg

14.jpg

Man those are some nice builds Keith!

Ok, all this Sled talk has got me convinced and since the 'other' sheet has gone away - we'll do SR-71 decals. I'd be interested in 970 and only have the pictures that are in some books of that. The last 2 flights I was at, as well as the retirement and got some great pictures and reference! They were especially cool to me in that they had all red data. I always liked the look of that.

Only thing missing is a good set of seated and standing pilots.

-brian

You could probably scounge a set of pilots out of a Revell Monogram 1/48 Mercury/Gemini capsule two set. The pressure suits worn in the Gemini program look pretty close to that of the S-1010B thru S-1030 suits used in the Blackbird program. In fact, the later pressure suits were direct descendants from the Gemini suits and these suits also formed a basis for the shutte LES and ACES suits that have flown in the shuttle program since 1989. Now if by some miracle you got ahold of the Tamiya/Italeri boxing of the Blackbird (a Japanese exclusive), it has a parts tree in it with a set of seated Blackbird crew figures. They were one piece figures though and not too heavily detailed. But they were designed to fit the stock cockpit.

And yes Brian, if you do a set of Blackbird decals, I will happy to purchase a set as I want some later Blackbird markings and I knew nothing about the CE sheet at all until the turds hit the fan this weekend (and my pocketbook was too depleted to even think about putting together a $100 minimum before the offer expired).

Ok, all this Sled talk has got me convinced and since the 'other' sheet has gone away - we'll do SR-71 decals.
Brian... count me in on a set! I've been waiting for someone to come out with quality decals. The CE sheets looks nice, but now that Meteor is gone there's a need for an alternative sheet. I wanted to get the SR-71 stuff before Meteor went under, but couldn't justify placing a $100+ order for mainly a decal sheet and the exhaust set. No biggie...I have the Tally Ho set anyways just no decals.

Btw, Nice builds guys! :tease: Larry...what accident? Is the model in a bazillion pieces now?

:lol:

FYI

Kiwi Resin has done several conversions for the 1/48 SR kit

They have an A-12 conversion with the slimmer nose, and they have an SR-71C conversion which is basically the chopped down tail of the YF-12A that can be put on the SR-71B

I have purchased both of these sets (from ebay) and I am very pleased by the detail. My father was with the SR-71 program out here at Beale AFB and after having grown up around them, I can say that the 48 kit is pretty good. Like they stated above, the True Details cockpit and wheel set is a great way to go. If you can find the CE afterburner set - more power too you.

If you guys are going to produce some more SR decal sets - I would buy them.

Harold

Semper Fi

Btw, Nice builds guys! :o Larry...what accident? Is the model in a bazillion pieces now?

;)

Hi Cyrus.

No the model is in tack now, the accident happened a few years ago. I put just a little to much pressure on the top of my display cabinet and the glass shattered all over my collection. Almost distroyed my VX-5 Monogram F/A-18A

IMG_0263.jpg

did a little damage to an Hasegawa F-14A and took it's toll on the SR-71A. I will rebuild the F/A-18A some day but the F-14A was awarded to the "X" in the divorce. So it's lost forever... Got pictures of it though!

_MG_7405copy.jpg

Cheers,

Larry.

Ok, done guys! SR-71 Blackbird decals in progress. At the rate of what's already printed and what's going to print, these are scheduled for a summer release! Some will look very similar to the CE sheet as a few of their jets are the same ones I shot and was around. Funny, if you really search, a bunch of my photos are on the net somewhere...

Looking like 1 set of data/stencils, including pilot patches, cockpit stuff and a few other 'touches' and specific markings for 3 or 4 Sleds. There, I said it. I announced it and as soon as I've got something cool to show I'll put up the artwork.

-brian

Ok, done guys! SR-71 Blackbird decals in progress. At the rate of what's already printed and what's going to print, these are scheduled for a summer release! Some will look very similar to the CE sheet as a few of their jets are the same ones I shot and was around. Funny, if you really search, a bunch of my photos are on the net somewhere...

Looking like 1 set of data/stencils, including pilot patches, cockpit stuff and a few other 'touches' and specific markings for 3 or 4 Sleds. There, I said it. I announced it and as soon as I've got something cool to show I'll put up the artwork.

-brian

Aren't you guys glad I started this thread!! :worship: :lol:

-brian

You are the man Brian! :worship:

Eric

hey everyone. i dont remember the first time i saw a blackbird picture, but i instantly fell i love with it. ive built a 1/72 sr-71, and have a 1/72 yf-12 yet to build. when i saw on ebay that testors made a 1/48 yf-12 i knew i could construct my dream line up. its really ambitious, but im going to do 7 blackbirds in 1/48. yes 7. heres the run down:

a-12 #924 in bare titanium for the first flight (from the two photos ive seen of it, there are no markings)

a-12 #927 in titanium/black edges (titanium goose, 2 seat trainer)

m/d-21 #940 in titanium/black edges (dons model works has the d-21 in 1/48 vaccuform)

yf-12 #935 in titanium/black edges

yf-12 #936 in black finish (white cross on bottom, in flight with lower fin down, as for speed record trials)

sr-71a #974 in black finish

sr-71b #956 in black finish

i live about 3 hours away from hutchinson ks where the cosmosphere has #961 on display in the lobby...and oh my is it amazing. it is displayed at a 30 degree angle both in roll and pitch, to show the angle of attack needed on approach to land so the pilot could see the runway. no ropes or anything, the nose is only a few feet off the ground, and its just wonderful to be able to touch a blackbird.

-brian

any chance of getting the a-12 trainer #927 on these decals?

-brian

Those better come in 1/48 also...:thumbsup:

Could you make sure Habu gets some special treatment? :woo:

Count me in for a decal sheet! :thumbsup:

Would anybody be interested in pilots???

I did some up for this build that I did for Lockheed years ago. I'm pretty sure I've still got the masters and could pour some molds on them...

Sr-71sm.jpg

SR-71botsm.jpg

The highlighting looks exaggerated in the photos, but looked nice on the model...

SR-71closeupsm.jpg

Unfortunately these are the only pics I got of the model before giving it up. :lol:

:woo:

Chris

Zacto - Do you really need an answer?!!?!?!!! Then here's mine - OK, or how about YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :worship:

Now, if you're interested, I've got a few ideas for updates we could talk about :whistle: Might even have the references!

-brian

Zacto - Do you really need an answer?!!?!?!!! Then here's mine - OK, or how about YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :worship:

Now, if you're interested, I've got a few ideas for updates we could talk about :whistle: Might even have the references!

-brian

I'll see if I can't dig them up!

Feel free to PM or e-mail me about the updates (though my e-mail just broke. I'll see if I can't get it fixed soon.).

I have a few ideas of my own (which would require a special decal sheet...) :worship:

I do understand though that with the fall of Meteor there is a gap that needs filling...

Unfortunately my plate is very full at the moment (YF-23)...

:cheers:

More decals is always a great idea! You know, with the obvious exception of the specific tail art, just a sheet of white and red numerals of the appropriate font and size combined with the common markings would get you any airframe in the fleet for most of the operational period. Just a thought. Might not sell as well as full marking sets.

Rick L.