Testors 1/48 SR-71

Since we're on the subject, from what I gather there were 3 operators of the SR-71 family of a/c.

The CIA, USAF, and NASA, correct?

As for decals, they would be a welcome addition to the industry, and since Mike and Brian are doing them, they'll be good!

Since we're on the subject, from what I gather there were 3 operators of the SR-71 family of a/c.

The CIA, USAF, and NASA, correct?

As for decals, they would be a welcome addition to the industry, and since Mike and Brian are doing them, they'll be good!

CIA - A-12

USAF & NASA - YF-12, SR-71

• 2 years later...
Ok, done guys! SR-71 Blackbird decals in progress. At the rate of what's already printed and what's going to print, these are scheduled for a summer release! Some will look very similar to the CE sheet as a few of their jets are the same ones I shot and was around. Funny, if you really search, a bunch of my photos are on the net somewhere...

Looking like 1 set of data/stencils, including pilot patches, cockpit stuff and a few other 'touches' and specific markings for 3 or 4 Sleds. There, I said it. I announced it and as soon as I've got something cool to show I'll put up the artwork.

-brian

did these marking ever get released?

Just last week I finally picked up the 48th scale Testors kit...while the decals included are well done, a new set would be nice. I've been considering building a "B model" for a little variation, not sure if the trainers are on the board for this upcoming set, but if so, I'll definitely pick one up!

The kit is Testors/Italeri tooling from the late 1980s and fit is on par with that period.

Revisionist history! :lol: There were plenty of really well fitting kits in the 1980s (Fujimi Brit Phantoms, anyone?). Yeah, even in the deep dark, mist-shrouded past of the 1970s! Italeri's well deserved reputation for lousy fit continues to this day. Nothing new there.

J

Have some 1/48 SR's stashed, with two YF-12's and TD tubs-wheels, but have to modify the back tub for the YF-12 builds from reference. Have one of the CE sheets from right b-fore the close but there are other good tails that could be done. Great subject for new decals.

Also heard from ones that built the 1/48 kit-to assemble the top parts, then the bottom parts. Then add the top to the bottom to avoid bad seams.

Also heard from ones that built the 1/48 kit-to assemble the top parts, then the bottom parts. Then add the top to the bottom to avoid bad seams.

That is 100% fact. Assembling the fuselage according to the directions puts you at a good risk for having a prominent butt-seam where the sections mate up. Making sure the sub-assemblies are flush by assembling the fuselage as top and bottom halves make life a lot easier! Like I mentioned several moons ago earlier in this thread, the only other real pain to contend with on this kit is the lip seam on the underside of the chines. You have to take extra care so as not to obliterate the triangular panel detail when taking care of the seam... The good news is it's on the underside.

I've built this kit before, and it's one of my all time favorites. One of my near-future goals is to have a 1/48 SR-71, YF-12, and A-12 lined up nose to nose... All I need is a second SR kit to make the A-12 out of with my Kiwi set!