Doubletree Drama, Pt 2: Electric Boogaloo

I just posted this over on HS and the IPMS board, and wanted to put it here so everyone knows what we're dealing with at the moment.

Regarding hotel reservations: Charles posted a message on the 16th indicating that everything was, to borrow a phrase from that immortal Naval Aviator Youthly Puresome, proceeding "tickedy boo".

Well, as of last night, we became aware that our contractual agreements with the Doubletree were evidently not as binding as one would think, as several registrants were told that all rooms were sold out on Wednesday, 6 August. When Charles Landrum investigated this with Rita Mahoney at the Doubletree, she indeed confirmed that this was the case, and more importantly... they were not releasing any further room blocks. My reaction to this news is not suitable for print in this family-oriented forum, and that echoes the reaction of all Committee members.

Now, as you may well imagine, we are less than pleased with this turn of events, and are pursuing all available options to resolve this as quickly as possible. We still have a full six months before the Convention, and we expect to have a resolution to this dilemma in very short order... what form that resolution will take, however, we simply do not know at the moment.

So for now, I would ask everyone who has NOT yet made reservations to hold off for a day or two while we work on sorting this out. I'll make another post here with further updates as we get them. If you have any questions, you can contact me via my email addy in the link here, or go right to Charles at con.chairman@ipmsusa2008.org.

Thanks for your patience, everyone...

Lynn

:o Ok I have a suggestion here, lol. Everyone cancel your Doubletree reservations, go somewhere else and let the Doubletree EAT :doh: the rooms. Sorry Lynn, I couldnt resist. I still need a room but unless it gets bad the DT can go to H-E-L-L.

Jack aka BUGFAN

:o Ok I have a suggestion here, lol. Everyone cancel your Doubletree reservations, go somewhere else and let the Doubletree EAT :worship: the rooms. Sorry Lynn, I couldnt resist. I still need a room but unless it gets bad the DT can go to H-E-L-L.

Jack aka BUGFAN

I just got off the phone Bug, CD's Evil Plan Baker is now in effect :thumbsup: I change that room I had to a double....and now I go back to bed

you should set up a tent city in the DT parking lot

Heh, that would be hilarious... although I don't think the City would much appreciate it. :)

A brief update on the situation:

It seems the impression has been given that the entire city of Virginia Beach is out of hotel rooms from 6-9 August. Nothing could be further from the truth... there are TONS of hotels throughout the city with thousands of available rooms. What we are trying to do is reopen negotiations with other sites to get more favorable rates. The fact that the Doubletree has sold out will actually strengthen our position now, since hotels will always take the "sure bet" over guesstimates about occupancy. As Charles posted, we expect to have additional information by 1 March, so stay tuned.

And if you absolutely MUST have a room RIGHT NOW, the Fairfield Inn just down the road from the VBCC still has availability, but it'll cost ya... 214.00 per night was the rate Steven 'Modeldad' Eisenman was quoted for his room. I found this out because I called him at home to tell him about the HoJo rooms but he had already booked at the Fairfield, and didn't want to switch.

Lynn

Lynn,

Once again, thanks for the updates. Unfortunately, I was one of the people who waited too long to book my room (there were a number of different reasons why, all of which were beyond my control), but I'm sure I'll be able to find something close by. I'll hold off until 1 March before I make any plans. At any rate, just keep on keepin' on, and things will work themselves out in the end. Seems to me that you folks are doing everything you can to remedy the situation, and that's about all you can do at this point. Better to have a snafu now than in the middle of the convention; at least now, you can find a workaround.

Fairfield Inn just down the road from the VBCC still has availability, but it'll cost ya... 214.00 per night was the rate Steven 'Modeldad' Eisenman was quoted for his room.

Sheez! That makes Anaheim look cheap, I was hoping to attend but may have to reconsider. I love the Norfolk/Va Beach area but the hotels in the summer get a little crazy.