Fujimi 1/72 F7U-3P

Here's the cockpit. The kit comes with decals for the consoles and the panel, but the parts themselves are nicely done, even in 1/72, so I elected to paint them. I used Polly Scale "scale black" for the panels, and gloss black for the dials.

cutlass-cockpit.jpg

;)

Mike

WOW! This looks like a really nice kit. I don't see any putty work either. Is the kit going together well for you?

So far so good, but test-fitting the nose to the body reveals a gap that will need some filling. Otherwise, it's been a really easy build so far.

:)

Mike

You're making great progress Mike.

Your pics are interesting to someone who is not familiar with the Cutlass, in kit form or otherwise, so thanks very much for the regular updates. I'm guessing it's not a small plane? Glad to hear that the build is going smoothly.

Cheers,

Andrew.

Thanks for the comments guys! The Cutlass is a really unique plane, as you can see from the photos. It'll look even more strange perched on its gear. And, yes, for its time (the 1950s) it was a large plane (but not as big as the Demon).

Regarding what's in the box, no, there are no parts to make a normal version of the Cutlass. The shape of the nose, even aft of where you can see the clear parts meet the gray parts, is different. Given the way the model builds, though, it would have quired only two additional parts (the nose halves) of the non-recon version. Too bad, especially given the price of the kit ($23 in the store).

:thumbsup:

Mike

• 2 weeks later...

I took these pics a few weeks ago, before work got really nuts.

As you can see, the kit is going together well, except for the join between the front fuselage assembly and the body. The intakes are along the same join line and they also didn't fit very well. These pics are after filling and sanding.

cutlass3.jpg

cutlass4.jpg

I may get a chance to start painting this weekend. :banana:

:cheers:

Mike

Here she is after painting.

I used Vallejo "Silver plate" and Vallejo "Gun Metal" for the engine area. After I get the decals on, I'll go back and brush some flat silver or aluminum on the gear legs so they aren't the same sheen as the plane itself.

cutlass7.jpg

cutlass6.jpg

cutlass5.jpg

:bandhead2:

Mike

Thanks guys! I finished it right before leaving to visit family over the weekend.

Here are a few quick shots of it. I'll try to get some better "finished" ones to post with everyone else's finished builds.

cutlass9.jpg

cutlass12.jpg

cutlass10.jpg

And here's one with the F7U-3P next to my F7U-3M that I built last year.

cutlass13.jpg

:D

Mike

Thanks guys!

I probably won't weather it. I tend to not weather my 1/72 scale builds...I'm fairly heavy-handed with it, and it always looks so crappy on the smaller kits.

Of course, I can use the excuse that these birds (only 12 built) barely got any use...just some eval/testing flights.

:thumbsup:

Mike