Hi all,

Well I thought I would pipe in with something different.

I have a Revell 1/72 Mirage IIIE I will convert to a Recce nosed RAAF machine.

I have started by chopping off the radar section of the nose and replaceing it with a 'Plane Bits' Recce nose. My resin piece was a little bent and even heating it and reshaping did not do much to correct the shape. So I will have to be clever on how I fix it. I have a couple of ideas. I am also replacing the instrument panel and seat with items from 'Plane Bits'.

I hope to have some pictures up soon.

If I have time I might also pipe in with a Hasegawa RF-111C as well.

Here is a picture of the Mirage with a Recce nose

Neill-Groves-A3-61-001.jpg

;)

Nice progress Ray, especially on the nose; looks like you've successfully addressed the nose issue.

A grey 75 jet with that nose would be interesting, as I didn't realise they were using it that late. All the best.

Andrew.

• 3 months later...

Finally got back to this build...

I have assembled most of the fuselage parts, it was a real pain to get the instrument panel in and sitting right so there was enough room between the panel and the windscreen frame. I ended up stuffing bluetak into the area behind the panel to give it something to sit on while the glue was applied.

I wll be do this one as an inflight display model with 2 supersonic tanks and a centreline jug. All will need to be modified. The supersonic fuel tanks on the Revell kit are RPK-10 bomb carriers. They are not quite the right shape of the 'super' fuel tanks fitted to RAAF Mirages. I have attempted to reshape them to look more streamlined. The pylon for the centreline jug is different to the wing mounts and will have to be scratchbuilt.

Back to the build :thumbsup:

Underside.jpg

fuselage.jpg

tanks.jpg

Edited by Trojan Thunder
  • 2 weeks later...
Looking good Ray. Keep the progress shots coming.

Regards

Andrew :thumbsup:

Thanks Andrew,

Have made some progress since these shots were taken, some pictures to follow soon. I have finished the seat and am just adding a few details the Revell kit lacks or does not portray correctly. Such as a intake scoops on the fuselage and under the wingsand fuel drain onthe rear fuselage. Then I need to redo the glazing for the camera port, it is a blob of green resin at the moment which will be cut out and filled with Testors clear cement.

Thanks Andrew,

Have made some progress since these shots were taken, some pictures to follow soon. I have finished the seat and am just adding a few details the Revell kit lacks or does not portray correctly. Such as a intake scoops on the fuselage and under the wingsand fuel drain onthe rear fuselage. Then I need to redo the glazing for the camera port, it is a blob of green resin at the moment which will be cut out and filled with Testors clear cement.

Whose decals are you using for it? Have you decided what a/c you're doing?

Regards

Thanks guys, pictures will be up shortly, I have to get them off the camera.

Whose decals are you using for it? Have you decided what a/c you're doing?

Regards

Andrew,

I am using a Hawkeye sheet, best I can recall the aircraft was A3-51, so it will be 51 in an overall grey scheme.

For Andrew,

Here is a picture of the jet in the flesh. It was taken in 1985 with a very average camera. The Recce jet is the one with canopy open.

75SQNRecceJetRef.jpg

Now here is an update.

Ejection seat painted and windscreen installed.

Cockpitandseat.jpg

Underside shot showing modified bomb rack as a centre line fule tank pylon and carved out camera bay window on nose.

Underside2.jpg

Some scribing to be done on the nose gear doors. Next I will be adding a few intake scoops on the fuselage and wings.

Looking good Ray, lookin real good. Now, if my memory is right A3-51 was at Point Cook awhile back and I believe may now be in storage there, this a/c was Air Marshall S. Evans' ride just before the withdraw from service. The Recce nose had been replaced by the time it reached P.Ck.

Regards

Andrew

The Point Cook jet was in a green/grey scheme. I thought it was a serial in the 70s, 72?

The recce nose was only fitted when required. I can only remember doing about 3 or 4 nose changes in the 2 1/2 years I was at 77SQN, after that they converted to Hornets and the noses were retired.

Ray,

P.Ck have/had three (3) Mirages to the best of my knowledge. A3-72 on the Academy parade ground, A3-92 in the rear hangar. Both of these a/c were three tone lizard. A3-51 was all over grey and was inside the main Museum hangar with the Phantom II until the Re.8 and Avro 504 arrived. Then it was moved out but then again it may have been sold to the Pakistanis as it was still airworthy. I have a picture of it at home if you're interested? I'll just have to scan it.

Regards

Andrew

I just love this thread everytime i check it for new updates...really interestin!!!

Cheers and keep up the great work!

BTW how's that tamiya putty white???

:thumbsup:

Thanks,

The putty seems to be fine, I have not been using it long. I have heard it shrinks over time, though I have not noticed any shrinkage yet. I am used to the grey stuff but the local shop has stopped stocking it.

Thanks Andrew, I forgot about the Mirages 'out back' at the Musuem. I will have to do some research to find out if the RAAF Museum still has 51.

And thanks for the call it was good to chat. Hope you do well at Expo :)

:lol:

Hi Ray,

Here's my picture of A3-51 at Pt. Ck back in the 90s before they got the Avro 504 and SE5A (not RE8). I was going to do this a/c in 1/48 when I do my next one. Still might too. Got a commended for my A-10, nothing for my Blackhawk or Squirrel, but young Chris won two of the junior sections with his F16 and his Crusader AA tank. A1 won 1/48 enhanced jet and helo section as well as best Italeri kit. hopefully we can catch up next year again.

Regards

Andrew

MirageA3-51.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Some progress to report,

After mucking around with testors clear to fill the camera port I decided to go the clear shaped sprue path. It has been glued in with future. I just need to mask it off and fair it in with some putty. I have test fitted the fuel tanks and added an etch brass antenna on the spine. I still need to add the pitot probes and few other bits before painting starts

Here are some pictures

Cameraportfitted.jpg

Canopyfittedandmasked.jpg

Onstand.jpg

onstandotherside.jpg

:whistle:

Looks like I am doing everything possible to not finish in time!

I had it ready for paint and left under a heat lamp, didn't even realise I did it.

Now I have a mad dash to fill the 'reshaped' fuselage and get it done by Friday

Wish me luck!

repair.jpg

Trojan,

Sounds like you would also know how reliable the radars were on the miricle also.. or dare I saw not reliable.

Love your work so far mate, though i concur re your regret on the heat lamp issue.