bh3_1.jpg

This is a tried and true real-time "Commie" kit, the K-P (aka Kopro) BH-3, molded before the wall came down.

bh3_boxart_mug.jpg

The pilot is a PJ Production resin figure. I scratch-built the exhausts from 0.040-in styrene rod. Prop mount to plane on two sizes of brass rod,

Paints used are Polly Scale Dark Italian Olive, US Khaki, Early Israeli Tan, and Russian Underside Blue (lightened with Reefer White). Decals printed by a man who ruined the hobby, checks in the mail mate, got 'em late Tuesday afternoon, and just was so bananas to finish the kit. I used Microscale Trim Film White in lieu of Miike's under the decals as it was a bit stronger and more opaque. But Mike's stickers made the model, kit's were useless.

Canopy is pressed formed, charging handles are fine wire. Rudder horns are fine wire with invisible thread control wiring. Machine guns are the kits, I drilled out the openings.

Lots of mods to the landing gear, including making bras rod axles. I used small wire to facilitate attachment. Wire was used to replace wing attachments too, as the wing attachments were too large and the holes too big. The attachment holes on the fuselage were plugged with styrene rod and redrilled to accept the wire replacements.

This is much more my milieu than WW II and Modern Era. I'm a rag and wood man. Actual plane first flew in 1921, but the prototype was unarmed. Production BH-3s had two 0.303-in machine gins and a BMW engine of 200 HP. Production aircraft feature the larger oil cooler bulge seen on the model (I did mine from a left over bomb rack) and a larger windshield.

Caz

bh3_6.jpg

bh3_5.jpg

bh3_4.jpg

bh3_3.jpg

bh3_2.jpg

Very good Red,

Did you do anything about the mismoulding on the top surfaces of the wings. Other than that it's a little gem of a model with good detailing inside and out. Very well built. And yes, I have a couple in my stash.

Cheers,

Ross.

Did you do anything about the mismoulding on the top surfaces of the wings.

Sure did Ross. Filled and sanded all the depressions (if that's what you mean) with Mr. Surfacer. Sanded away the overly done raised detail too. Molding is correct in the shape of the wings. They were two-piece affairs, joined where the braced struts are located.

Caz