Any good LHS off of 74 though IL?

• 3 weeks later...

I fear this may be a couple weeks too late, but-

My hobby shop knowledge is centered on Champaign, of which I was a resident until just recently. On I-74, exit at Prospect Avenue, head north. Just after the overpass, you can see the orange and white awning of Slot and Wing Hobbies to your right. At the first stoplight, turn right, then take the next right, which is just after the auto supply store. Their parking lot is just ahead to the right after that.

I would best describe S&W as a 'junk' hobby store. They specialize on buying out scratch and dent, and closeout hobby stuff. Their selection of kits is a decent size, but most of it tends to be older stuff that didn't sell when it came out. However, there will usually be a few diamonds in the rough. The proprietors don't always know (or maybe care) the actual value of what they've got, so you can sometimes find great bargains. Some of my memorable finds there:

Trumpeter 1/48 Wyvern: $16.99

Trumpeter 1/350 USS Massachusetts: $45 (they had 3 at this price, I should have bought them all!)

box of HO Athearn Genesis cars at $5 each

Dragonwings diecast 747: $6

A friend had the ultimate find though, in my opinion--

Lionel HO Union Pacific Gas Turbine locomotive w/sound: $100; normal retail=$400

Also keep in mind, that there have been many times where I have walked through the store and found nothing worth spending money on.

They also have a fair selection of used/salvaged RC stuff, and a large area of scratch and dent. You can dig through that area, open boxes, take out parts you need, salvage components from wrecked projects or kits damaged in shipping, etc. It even includes what I can best describe as a "used paint" section.

Champaign also has a Hobby Lobby just a little farther north, next to the shopping mall, but it's a fairly standard HL with not many clearance kits.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hey skyliner!

Sorry I didn't notice your post till now. Thanks for the info! Unfortunately I've had to make a number of runs down 74 (cuts into the hobby time) so I'll have another chance to check this out.

Edited by Sabre Freak