Matchbox Madness Inspiration thread

My matchbox stash....

What to build next!

Go for it Roy - do a Tim and build the lot!

If you're seriously short of inspiration - I'd like to see one of those HS125s built - to see how it compares with the Airfix kit.

That Surtees is a rare beast - I built mine when it was current.

AAA_Matchbox_Surtees001.jpg

Look forward to seeing whatever you build.

Wonderful - congratulations on a great build. Thanks for sharing it.

AC

Although not from a Matchbox box this is the Revell kit which is the Matchbox molds. The kit was modified for 3 crew poisitions and rigged with fishing wire.
Edited by madmike
If you're seriously short of inspiration - I'd like to see one of those HS125s built - to see how it compares with the Airfix kit.

Like this???

37.jpg

36.jpg

38.jpg

I did a nice masking jobbie on the cockpit windows, after filling the gaps with Kristal Kleer, and rounded out the necessary corners on the frames. Then the masking tape lifted the Kleer when I removed it.

Nice kit, a few mad trenchers panel lines, but nice. The wing trailing edges are too thick, and I cut out the wing landing lights. Will do more work to the next one (gonna build all 3 of the Irish Air Corps machines....)

This is for madmike.....

Irishandmatchboxes016.jpg

I see Mike has the Chinese issue, like mine, if so the decals are crap and will disintigrate and silver. If you can use alternatives, do.

and also these... I love these and build them totally OOB. Great AMS cures and good practice, and even more important, GOOD FUN!

Irishandmatchboxes014.jpg

Irishandmatchboxes011.jpg

Irishandmatchboxes027.jpg

Irishandmatchboxes025.jpg

Like this???

I did a nice masking jobbie on the cockpit windows, after filling the gaps with Kristal Kleer, and rounded out the necessary corners on the frames. Then the masking tape lifted the Kleer when I removed it.

Nice kit, a few mad trenchers panel lines, but nice. The wing trailing edges are too thick, and I cut out the wing landing lights. Will do more work to the next one (gonna build all 3 of the Irish Air Corps machines....)

Very nicely done Roy - thanks for sharing them with us.

Best of luck with building the others.

This is for madmike.....

I see Mike has the Chinese issue, like mine, if so the decals are crap and will disintigrate and silver. If you can use alternatives, do.

and also these... I love these and build them totally OOB. Great AMS cures and good practice, and even more important, GOOD FUN!

Roy - I was just looking at the finish and the decals. I remember buying the Firefly way back when! It was the first of the "new" matchbox kits that I ever bought, and that bridge was fascinating...

Decals - question: did you glosscote the tanks before you applied the decals?

anyway - application of clear gloss/decals/flat clear always works to avoid decal sliver...

cheers

Adam

Go for it Roy - do a Tim and build the lot!

I did one for the last MB GB, finally found the pictures. The kit had no trasparencies so I had to use Testors Clear cement for the openings. I have another one in the stash somewhere.

HS-125Frontright.jpg

HS-125Rearleft.jpg

Thanks everyone :cheers:

I will find some alternatives. I had experience with the Chinese releases when I did the Provost Mk.1. thankfully, someone provided me with replacement decals!

Fantastic builds btw!

:coolio:

MikeJ

This is my recently completed Mystere, which I've built as a BDRT airframe from RAF Lakenheath in the late '80s...

Mystere%20MD-454%20-%20Chris%20St%20Clair%201.JPG

Mystere%20MD-454%20-%20Chris%20St%20Clair%202.JPG

Mystere%20MD-454%20-%20Chris%20St%20Clair%203.JPG

Mystere%20MD-454%20-%20Chris%20St%20Clair%204.JPG

Mystere%20MD-454%20-%20Chris%20St%20Clair%205.JPG

Mystere%20MD-454%20-%20Chris%20St%20Clair%206.JPG

Kit is from the box, with the exception of the cockpit interior (Neomega A-10 cockpit!) and undercarriage (Aeroclub white metal).

Hope you like the pics!

Edited by UKPonchoMan
This is my recently completed Mystere, which I've built as a BDRT airframe from RAF Lakenheath in the late '80s...

Hope you like the pics!

Nice pics, I thought these were used as airfield decoys not BDRT?

Cheers,

Julien

Hi all

This is some pictures of my Matchbox's build.

First, for the last GB, a A-4 with a "what-if" scheme:

IMGP1445.jpg

Second, a Wessex HC-2 with some improvments and scratch:

IMGP2881.JPG

And last, a G-91Y:

fin600.jpg

Edited by Eaulive
Hi

I built the Italeri's one in the mean times.

Building here:

http://www.master194.com/forum/viewtopic.p...172&start=0

Please understand, I meant no offense.

I see now that you rescribed the fuselage, and modified many of the detail parts to improve the kits appearance.

It is a beautiful model, and your efforts show in the quality of the final product. Well done!!

Although I have built a number of Matchbox kits over the years (naturally) I don't have many pictures to share. Here are some of the "presentable" ones:

One that made it to the display shelve, the Me262 (PK-021)

DSCN1381_1024.jpg

the 109 is an Airfix and the F4U is a Heller kit. About 30cm to the right is the Wellington (PK-402) and for the life of me, I don't know why I don't have a picture of it. :thumbsup:

And here is another one, hiding in the unfinished kits den behind the Airfix Walrus. The SBC-4 Helldiver (PK-035)

DSCN1383_1024.jpg

72ndImage1.jpg

72ndImage2.jpg

Not much I'm afraid. But I hope it did bring some inspiration to someone.

• 3 months later...