I've got a couple cents to add to this. Microset isn't exactly vinegar, but it is an acetic acid solution (which is also in vinegar), although microset might also contain some other stuff too. I wouldn't use household vinegar myself as I think it'd be more prone to stain the surface of the model or leave residue compared to the microset. And don't use microsol if you don't need it. If you do need it (if the decal hasn't snugged down into panel lines, etc.) then you can use it repeatedly, but wait for the decal to dry first before applying it. It can haze future a bit, and soften it as well so don't handle the model surface after application of microsol. And yes, you definitely want a gloss coat under your decals. No doubt about this.

I've trashed some decals using more harsh decal solutions, like mr. mark softer. Some decals don't need much of anything, so go easy. HTH.

I use Set and Sol exclusively for all my projects... that said...

I too have experienced Micro Sol in wrinkling up decals once on the surface, then never smooth out again. But this has only happened to me when I used very thick decals like those in old Revell kits. Never had this happen on aftermarket decals.

One more thing to note... Never allow Micro Sol to pool in one area on a decal... so if you have a large decal on a flat surface the liquid has a tendency to 'pool' in one area... this pooling can actually distort the decal... it'll still go flat but it will distort the decal and will leave a watermark.

-Greg

How do you guys feel microsol and set compares to solvaset?

Honestly, if I were to choose between the two brands my first and only choice would be MicroSol/Set. Here are pics of my recent model. Decals were applied with Microsol.

Modelpics124.jpg

Modelpics121.jpg

Modelpics133.jpg

:)

Jack

I've actually found using Microset alone makes the decals very sticky and difficult to position. I dilute it on the model, I apply a drop of Microset, then add a nice big drop of water. This seems to work better than water alone or Microset alone. Once I get the decal in place and as flat as it is going to get I dab the Microsol on to get the decal to snug down the rest of the way.