Hey skuki,

Quick question. How did you customize these brass sheets by yourself? I heard from others that that's not possible to do. TIA!

Ricky

Hello Ricky,

Those brass sheets are eduard :rolleyes:

But I know peple who photoetch their parts by themselves, like my friend e.g. and it is very possible, if you meant that.

Cheers !!

Skuki

VERY, VERY Cool start Skuki!!!!! One of my favorites, and impressive to see it done without the assistance of the myriad of aftermarket sets available for the beast! I have two sets of the CE wings in the closet, along with cockpits, wheels, burners, all sorts of updates....

The one big piece that is the hold up for me is the main wheel wells. Those are not very good, with the upper and lower outlines to the wells not matching up at all. I'll be interested to see how you overcome that difficulty in your build.

Years back, CIRO had promised updates for the Su-17/22, including an exterior set that updated the pylons, wheel wells, and so-on. Unfortunately it never came to pass.

From a weapons perspective, it depends on the warload that you want to show, but there are good sets available from TallyHo (rocket pods, R-60s, etc.), Kazan (modern smart weapons, Kh-31, Kh-29, Kh-58) - but truthfully, what you really want to find for the Su-17 are the older sets from Art Models, they are out of production now, but were from somewhere in south-central Europe (Slovakia comes to mind). They had iron bombs, early LGBs, KMGUs, etc. good stuff - all very appropriate for a Su-17.

Will be watching this one closely, particularly as you get to the wheel wells!

Paul

Thanks skuki, 21 pounds + shipping to U.S. = ouch !

I will find one somewhere.

Mark

These kits can be found in their original KP boxes pretty inexpensively at IPMS shows and such. I've rarely seen the newer boxings, but they definitely can be had - and not for $50+

Paul

VERY, VERY Cool start Skuki!!!!! One of my favorites, and impressive to see it done without the assistance of the myriad of aftermarket sets available for the beast! I have two sets of the CE wings in the closet, along with cockpits, wheels, burners, all sorts of updates....

The one big piece that is the hold up for me is the main wheel wells. Those are not very good, with the upper and lower outlines to the wells not matching up at all. I'll be interested to see how you overcome that difficulty in your build.

Years back, CIRO had promised updates for the Su-17/22, including an exterior set that updated the pylons, wheel wells, and so-on. Unfortunately it never came to pass.

From a weapons perspective, it depends on the warload that you want to show, but there are good sets available from TallyHo (rocket pods, R-60s, etc.), Kazan (modern smart weapons, Kh-31, Kh-29, Kh-58) - but truthfully, what you really want to find for the Su-17 are the older sets from Art Models, they are out of production now, but were from somewhere in south-central Europe (Slovakia comes to mind). They had iron bombs, early LGBs, KMGUs, etc. good stuff - all very appropriate for a Su-17.

Will be watching this one closely, particularly as you get to the wheel wells!

Paul

Hi Paul,

regarding the wheelbay I find them to be a good starting point for detailing. Acording to plans they are of good shape, but most of all they are deep enough. For me there arent bigger problems than having shallow wheelbays (beside wrong canopy :thumbsup: . I know, there are going to be certain problems matching them together and sanding the joint line, but I hope I'll be able do deal with it somehow.

I have aquired Kh-29 from Kazan, they look quite good.

I didn't hear for Art models before. Do you have more information about the company and or detail sets, pictures or reviews possibly.

Btw, i think that 21 pounds is ok price, at least regular one. While they were avaliable in Usa price was arround 45 $. I've found them on a competition in Hungary for 30 Euros. I've paid this one arround 45-50$ on some Dutch internet store.

Cheers

Marko

Wow. Looks like some high-grade work going on here.

As regards weapons, I don't know how accurate they are, but Academy's Mig-21 MF kit has a set of rocket pods included. Not aftermarket, but hey, it's always nice to have another Mig-21 around.

Martin!!!!! Don't tease us, I'd love to hear where Ciro stands on those Su-17/22 sets - my post wasn't meant to be derogatory, more that they just never were released, I for one am VERY hopeful to see them in the nearest future!

PM coming!

Paul

Great to see more old school modelling. It is a great way for the hobby to grow. It makes me think of the way that our skills can stop growing when we rely too much on aftermarket.

Pete, I couldn't agree more!

Skuki, you're doing a brilliant job showcasing what is possible when you put your mind to it. Seeing what you can do with sheet plastic and imagination is very humbling and quite inspiring all at the same time :worship:

Hi Paul,

regarding the wheelbay I find them to be a good starting point for detailing. Acording to plans they are of good shape, but most of all they are deep enough. For me there arent bigger problems than having shallow wheelbays (beside wrong canopy :monkeydance: . I know, there are going to be certain problems matching them together and sanding the joint line, but I hope I'll be able do deal with it somehow.

I have aquired Kh-29 from Kazan, they look quite good.

I didn't hear for Art models before. Do you have more information about the company and or detail sets, pictures or reviews possibly.

Skuki- If by chance you want to include the KMG-U mine dispenser on this plane, it is also available as part of an Mi-24 Hind weapon set from Cobra Resin . It's even hard to find the Tally Ho stuff, so I can imagine finding the Art Models products will be maddening. CIRO models makes some OFAB-100 bombs in 1/48.

JB

Edited by Josh1971

I posted what I have on Art Models in the main Jet Modeling forum. There really nice weapons - I suspect the Kh-58 and Kh-29s have been available in other lines, as the castings are reminiscent of what I've seen from the Cutting Edge Soviet smart weapons sets, and the Professional Models sets - haven't compared them to Kazan. But the other sets, especially the Kh-25s (three variants) are very nicely done. Bodies are the light cream colored resin, very similar to the earlier type of resin used by Aires. Fins, depending on the size, are both cast and photo-etch.

I don't have any photos available, but think they look quite nice! I'm trying to find the company, or patterns to see if I can make some "arrangements."

All ciromodels products are diretly from manufacturer with better prices, paypent per PayPal. If you have intrest write us on ciro.models@worldonline.cz or PM.

Best regards

Martin

Great, paypal suits me most. I will send you e-mail. tnx