Here goes my first entry

I'm going to build the RVHP RC-12Q Guardrail based on one of the aircraft my dad flew out of Ft. Hood, Texas. The kit decals are actually for an RC-12N, so I will be making my own to go on the RC-12Q 30701, which was the last of 3 "Q" models in extistence that was recently converted back to a "P" model. When I was on base last, I snapped a few reference photos of 701 before they headed off to Iraq...just in case a group build such as this ever came along. Now on to some pictures of the subject and the opened box.

Here is an RC-12Q before conversion...this isn't 701, but it is one of the three Q's....obviously :o

P1000157.jpg

Here is 701 post conversion.

P1002128.jpg

Here is a picture that one of the guys from my dad's unit took of the RC-12 with some Sherpas and a C-12 at Ballad AFB in Iraq. He is a fellow modeller as well, but I don't think he is on ARC.

Balad02NOV07thunderdome.jpg

(the RC-12 is on the left)

And now a couple pictures of the box.

RC-12001.jpg

RC-12002.jpg

SLICK

Edited by slick95

I actually was able to get quite a bit completed today...and in a relatively short amount of time. Overall, the kit does not have much to it, as you may be able to tell from the box. I forgot to take a close up picture of the interior prior to gluing the fuselage halves together, but there really wasn't too much to it. The kit is pretty strait forward, fits well, and using CA glue it goes together fairly quickly. So here is the update after day one.

RC-12_day1004.jpg

RC-12_day1005.jpg

RC-12_day1006.jpg

SLICK

Thanks for the comments guys! Today I was able to do a little more building. I glued the wings and tail assembly to the fuselage as well as the hump on top (I'm not sure of the exact name) and the ventral antenna.

RC-12_day2007.jpg

RC-12_day2010.jpg

RC-12_day2011.jpg

SLICK

This kit was actually given to me by one of the guys who works on the RC-12's out at Ft. hood. However, I do know you can buy the kit right from the manufacture (RVHP from the Czech Republic...I'm not sure what their website is) or you can go to Cooper's Models website: http://www.coopersmodels.com/RVHP.html

The kit is rather expensive and I was fortunate to have this one given to me. You may be able to find one on EBAY as well. Cooper's doesn't have all the RC-12 kits for sale, they only have the "D" and "K" models. RVHP makes all the RC-12 models as well as all the C-12 Huron variants and many other resin kits in 1/72.

SLICK

This kit was actually given to me by one of the guys who works on the RC-12's out at Ft. hood. However, I do know you can buy the kit right from the manufacture (RVHP from the Czech Republic...I'm not sure what their website is) or you can go to Cooper's Models website: http://www.coopersmodels.com/RVHP.html

The kit is rather expensive and I was fortunate to have this one given to me. You may be able to find one on EBAY as well. Cooper's doesn't have all the RC-12 kits for sale, they only have the "D" and "K" models. RVHP makes all the RC-12 models as well as all the C-12 Huron variants and many other resin kits in 1/72.

SLICK

Nice build Slick. Glad you are building one and thanks again for the pics you sent me. Looking forward to seeing her finished. The RVHP kits here in England are just stupid in price, their 1:72nd scale Learjet runs out at £59, about $100.

Good luck with the rest of the build I will be watching.

Pete

Edited by kaburaya

Ya know what, I am very glad I decided to pop in here and see what folks were building today.

I don't know anything about this plane, never knew it existed until now, but it is the PERFECT subject for a model!

I love it! Looks like the love child of an E-2 and that Mitsubishi turboprop! :banana:

How hard is it to switch from plastic to resin kits? I've done minor resin work, and carve up plastic with decent (but not great) skill. Aside from the resin dust hazard, I mean, is it harder to clean up, to line up parts, to minimize seams? Does it require more putty than average?

How hard is it to switch from plastic to resin kits? I've done minor resin work, and carve up plastic with decent (but not great) skill. Aside from the resin dust hazard, I mean, is it harder to clean up, to line up parts, to minimize seams? Does it require more putty than average?

It's actually not very hard. This is the first all resin kit I've dealt with, and so far it's working out great. As far as gluing resin is concerned, the only thing I was told that works is CA glue...and it holds very well. I've been sawing the resin parts of the blocks then taking some corse sand paper and sanding it almost down to the part. Then I start sanding with some finer paper. Cleaning is pretty easy...but everything will get dusty. Lining parts up is a little more difficult, but should in no way be a turn off from building resin. It's not that bad at all. I've actually been using quite a bit less putty on this model than all my previous models. The parts fit together very well. However, this is my first resin experience so I can't really compare it with anything else.

Thanks all for the comments...and yes the price is way too high.

SLICK

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, I did quite a bit of work on the "Q" today. Before, I said that there wasn't too much filling and sanding involved, and I had already done some of it. Well, after a closer look at the model...........

3-16-08009.jpg

3-16-08010.jpg

I noticed after I walked away from the model for a week then came back, that the seems were a little worse than I had previously thought. The pictures made it look worse than it really was, but some of the seems were still fairly deep. I also cut out and sanded the windshield to fit.

3-16-08011.jpg

I masked the windows and glued on the windshield. Even though I spent an hour sanding and test fitting the windshield, it still fit like crap. It's a bit too large, so there was some putty needed. I also glued on the antennas that are to be painted grey.

3-16-08016.jpg

3-16-08017.jpg

3-16-08022.jpg

3-16-08025.jpg

3-16-08026.jpg

SLICK

Lol! Don't worry, the model is small enough that I really didn't use too much putty. I do need to make my Tamiya last until they come out with some more...or change to some other putty like the suggestions I asked for.

SLICK

Edited by slick95
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hey guys...sorry I haven't updated in a while. I've been busy finishing the Pitts to ready for the first flight, so I haven't done any building in months. Next week I plan on having time to build, because the Pitts made it's second maiden fight today.

SLICK

Edited by slick95

Pulled the Guardrail out for about an hour today to do some final filling and sanding before a coat of primer. I hope to have it primed, and possible the final color applied by the end of the day tomorrow.

RC-12038.jpg

SLICK

Somehow I missed this thread....

Looking really great SLICK.

Cannot wiat to see the finished model, and having seen your previous work on ARC, I am sure this will turn out just

as STUNNING as all your other Models...

Well Done...

HOLMES.... :salute: