Hasegawa 1/72 F-106 Delta Dart

I'm looking for some opinions about this kit. I know it's old with raised pannel lines which really isn't a problem.

I would like answer to the following questions:

1. Does it fit together easily without much seam filling?

2. How difficult is it to build it with the gear in the retracted position and the weapons bay closed ?

3. Does it come with a pilot figure?

4. Are the kit decals useful? (planing on building aircraft from 102 FW which come in the kit, and I can't find any aftermarket decal sets)

Thanks everyone,

-Chris

Chris..first the easy part, there is no pilot. This kit is what? 35 years old. The main fit is fair; but the fatal flaw is the canopy is molded off center and just doesnt fit properly without major surgery. If you close the bay doors, they are flimsy and require much filling and sanding and probably some internal reinforcement. Open them and you have a lack of detail. There is really no cockpit detail so to speak except for a basic tub. After all these years you would think that someone would give us a decent 101, 102 and 106. Happy modeling.

Chris..first the easy part, there is no pilot. This kit is what? 35 years old. The main fit is fair; but the fatal flaw is the canopy is molded off center and just doesnt fit properly without major surgery. If you close the bay doors, they are flimsy and require much filling and sanding and probably some internal reinforcement. Open them and you have a lack of detail. There is really no cockpit detail so to speak except for a basic tub. After all these years you would think that someone would give us a decent 101, 102 and 106. Happy modeling.

IIRC the kit was first issued in around 1968 or so, so it's a tiny bit over 35 :rolleyes: It's far, far and away the best 1/72 F-106 kit on the market (it's the only 1/72 F-106 kit on the market), so in reality, any questions are moot unless you're just not going to build it. The quoted post is pretty much correct though. It's F-106 shaped (mainly), but lacks detail as you would expect of a late 1960s Hasegawa kit.

It's way past time for some new 1/72 Century Series fighter kits! FWIW, the Revell 1/72 F-101B is gorgeous. Early 1990s vintage.

J

2. How difficult is it to build it with the gear in the retracted position and the weapons bay closed ?

Airways from the UK used to make a set of closed weapons bay doors, but don't see them in the latest listings.

Regards

Jim Barr

I'd echo most of what was said above. If you build it with the canopy open, you need to detail the cockpit. The refueling recepticle on the spine looks nothing like the real thing. I closed up the weapons bay and didn't think that was too tough. If you build it with the airbrake open you have major work to do to detail the inside of the airbrake. What appears in the photo of Mr. Shirai's model above is all scratch work. None of that airbrake detail is in the kit.

On the other hand, the 106 is sexy. Go ahead and build one!

Airways from the UK used to make a set of closed weapons bay doors, but don't see them in the latest listings.
Actually, it was Aeroclub.

I stand correct, was at work and relied on my memory, knew it was one of the two.

Anyway it is part # V203 in their online catalog but listed as un-available at this time

http://www.aeroclub-models.com/newparts.html

Regards

Jim Barr

It's way past time for some new 1/72 Century Series fighter kits! FWIW, the Revell 1/72 F-101B is gorgeous. Early 1990s vintage.

J

WAY, WAY, past time for a new tool 72nd 101, 102, and 106! Fred K.

1. Does it fit together easily without much seam filling?

The wings and vertical stab will require filler.

Both will need internal support to prevent them from being pushed in while being sanded.

3. Does it come with a pilot figure?

It's a 1960's pilot figure if it is included (I think some of the older boxings might have had one), so it would be useless.

4. Are the kit decals useful? (planing on building aircraft from 102 FW which come in the kit, and I can't find any aftermarket decal sets)

They are thick, and the white is more of a cream color, but they do conform well using MicroSol. Bare Metal/Expert's Choice made very nice decals for that unit, but it looks like they're out of print now.

Regards,

Murph

Thanks guys for the info. ;)

I'm going to buy one and see what happens. You really can't go wrong for $10.

Cheers guys. :D

-Chris (who is finally build one of the local fighters)