How about a Stealth Group Build?

I've been thinking about this recently with all the discussion about the Testors F-19 Stealth Fighter kits, the upcoming retirement of the F-117 and the crash of the B-2 "Spirit of Kansas" it seems that stealth aircraft are quite popular as model subjects. As such, there should be enough kit subjects out there to support their own group build (especially if the F-111s got one). So I was thinking if we did a GB, it could include the following:

Fictional model kits of Stealth aircraft from the Testors F-19 and Revell B-2 ATB to the not quite right shaped F-117 kits that came out after the first mashed pictures of the F-117 were released.

Model kits of actual stealth aircraft, including the F-117, Have Blue prototype, B-2 Spirit, F-22 and F-35 airframes (even the X-32 can fit into this).

Model kits of aircraft variants that featured radar low observable technology as a significant part of their design. Examples here would include the B-1B and the F/A-18 E/F as both aircraft featured some noticeable changes to their design from previous versions to incorporate more angular shapes and RAM materials to make their designs more stealthy. The CIA A-12 and SR-71 can also qualify under this clause as it was one of the first to use a passive radar absorbing paint and shape design.

Real stealth designs that never made it into production, such as the A-12 Avenger "Killer Dorito".

I figure 2009 would be about right to do it since by then we will have potentially two good kits of the F-22 out and the F-117s will have been out of the inventory for awhile.

So, is there any interest?

Well, as a pure stealth build, it’s limited to only a few aircraft like F-117s, B-2s and maybe F-22s, and none of them have much variation in the way of markings or paint schemes. Once you start opening up to include “stealthy featuresâ€, then the question is what doesn’t count? Most aircraft made in the last 20 years of so have some stealthy features. I think even F-16s have some RAM plates, so you could start mixing in too many “normal†aircraft with pure stealth aircraft like the F-117. You’ll get a lot of “what about this†questions.

My thought is that if it goes through, it should be kept to true stealth aircraft, i.e. those that were specifically designed as low observable aircraft and not otherwise regular aircraft that may have a few stealthy features like shielded intakes or blended bodies. You may need to put out a list of what qualifies, which should be somewhat short.

My two cents.

Badump Bump! Nice one Murph. :lol:

Anyway, yes I suppose things could get out of hand just a bit as most of the current inventory of aircraft have had mods done to them for low observability. But in the case of the B-1B and the Super Hornets, the mods made to them are pretty distinctive compared to a late production block F-16 that still has about the same shape as it had when the first ones rolled off the production line all those years ago. The B-1B, the variable geometry intakes that gave the jet its double sonic speed capability were removed for the angled ones which had some low observable features built into them. The Super Hornets practically had their middle fuselages totally altered from the legacy Hornets to feature more angular design characteristics for stealth purposes as well. Then again these planes could be left out since they weren't designed from the outset as stealth aircraft either.

Anyway, here would be a list of planes that I think would qualify for such a GB if one became official:

Testors/Italeri F-19 (and copies in other scales, such as the 1/144 Hobbycraft kit)

Monogram F-19

Tsukuda & Revell of Germany F-19

All early F-117 kits with distorted or "off" features

All more accurate F-117 kits

Have Blue prototypes

Tacit Blue prototypes

SR-71, YF-12 and A-12 based Blackbirds

YF-22

YF-23

F/A-22

X-35/F-35

X-32

US Navy A-12 Avenger (Killer Dorito)

Testors Stingbat LHX

RAH-66 Commanche LHX

Testors/Italeri MiG-37B Ferret E Soviet Stealth Fighter

Fictional B-2 ATB bomber kits (such as the Revell offering)

B-2 Spirit

Any thoughts? As it stands, this listing should provide something for everyone from the factual to the speculative and "what if" subjects. Since kits like the Testors F-19 are as much a part of the history of Stealth in terms of its reveal to the general public, I think these should more then qualify along side the factual aircraft we have models of.

Jay,

It's already been done, but nobody saw it. :thumbsup:

Regards,

Murph

Well, if it were a GB requiring open bay doors then you definitely would have seen 'em. <play_rimshot_now /> :D

BTW - This might finally get me to do an X-32 or YF-23, which I've wanted to do for some time. I guess I have a thing for the "also-rans".

--Will