Privateer-Phoenix From the Ashes

Gents:

Following a discussion with the "mods" this Matchbox Privateer is allowed this year. The history is, that for last years build, it was near completion, on schedule and ready for priming. I set it on a stand in my "crawl space" and just after I completed the first pass with the primer, the beast fell off the stand and spiralled into a concrete floor from about 4 ft up. End result, pretty well complete destruction. Beiing the calm individual I am, after a little psycho war dance and much colourful language, I tucked the thing away for "further consideration". I took stock and the only thing I was missing was part of the canopy. This years build is the inspiration to finally finish the thing.............warts, sink marks, warps, putty and all. Gentlemen, for your consideration....

The Rockcliffe Ice Wagon.

IMG_0008.jpg

The nose was broken off, both wings,. one of the horizontal stabilizers and the fuselage was split, top and bottom. I added a strengtheningstrip on both top and bottom fuselage joints (10 thou card) and went to it. To continue............

IMG_0003.jpg

Alvin5182

Gents:

Following a discussion with the "mods" this Matchbox Privateer is allowed this year. The history is, that for last years build, it was near completion, on schedule and ready for priming. I set it on a stand in my "crawl space" and just after I completed the first pass with the primer, the beast fell off the stand and spiralled into a concrete floor from about 4 ft up. End result, pretty well complete destruction. Beiing the calm individual I am, after a little psycho war dance and much colourful language, I tucked the thing away for "further consideration". I took stock and the only thing I was missing was part of the canopy. This years build is the inspiration to finally finish the thing.............warts, sink marks, warps, putty and all. Gentlemen, for your consideration....

The Rockcliffe Ice Wagon.

Hi Alvin, welcome aboard - and better luck this time. The Privateer is now an elusive kit - which I've only seen once.

This is how it came out:

Matchbox_PB4Y2Privateer.jpg

I'd like to do the transport version - if I ever see the kit again.

Gents:

A small update, but, all is going rather well. Got the nose re-attached and everything on the fuselage sanded down. The wings, turret covers are sanded down and the horizontal stabilizer has been re-joined. Working on the Squadron canopy right now. Failed to read the instructions and ended up about 2 cm short for the canopy. Hmmmmmm. Solvable, but just how to do it.

Some other parts being painted and detailed. Cowlings, props, landing gear etc. Awaiting info from other obscure sources for some finer details.

IMG_0018.jpg

2nd View

IMG_0016.jpg

Thanks for the interest. There is surprisingly little info regarding this a/c. The most I can come up with is about 5-6 photos and two line drawings. Hell, it's only one airplane, but so unique with regard to eqt, markings etc etc

Alvin5182

• 4 weeks later...

Gents:

After a week or so off to buy a new car, this is where we stand. Airframe assembled, sanded and awaiting canopy. Props have had yellow stripes added for some sort of de-icing eqt. (96 separate decals) and the cowls are ready to go. Should be painted by mid week. Still seeking info on de-icing eqt that was present on this a/c. Lots of bars and bumps etc etc to test different systems.

MiscModels006.jpg

FAAGroupBuild002.jpg

Alvin5182

• 1 month later...

Gents:

An update: Got the canopy thing sorted out and ready for priming (again!) If something 'stupid" happens this time..........................................

IMG_0001.jpg

Some of the assorted experimental deicing "stuff" on the nose area.

IMG_0002.jpg

Alvin5182