Hey guys,

I've got to be in Houston this weekend for my nephew's wedding. I was wondering if there were any shops worth visiting? I'm familiar with the little shop in Rice Village (if it's still there) and I understand Hobby Island (been there once before) is now gone. Anything else in the area?

Mark

Larry's Hobbies is a decent hobby shop. It specializes in model RR and RC stuff, but they do have a good supply of kits. They have a good supply of paint (especially in the RR section), but they have no resin or decals.

Larry's is located at I-45 North & FM 1960.

I don't know of much else in town. Hobby Island was such a great shop, it really sucks that it closed.

Chris

Thanks Chris, if I have time I'll check them out. It is truely a bummer about Hobby Island. I visited that shop once while on a Houston layover. From what I remeber it was a nice shop. Unfortunately hobby shops closing seems to be a trend.

Mark

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

M&M Hobby (Chimney Rock @ Bellaire)- Great service. Very good selection of kits. Even better selection of paints and tools. Some aftermarket parts.

G&G (Rice Village)- Great service. Not many kits. Awsome selection of paints, glues, and building supplys (Styrene).

Larry's Hobbys (IH45 @ FM1960)- Horrible service. Kit selection keeps getting smaller but has all the great kits. Not much paint.

• 1 year later...

M&M Hobby (Chimney Rock @ Bellaire)- Great service. Very good selection of kits. Even better selection of paints and tools. Some aftermarket parts.

G&G (Rice Village)- Great service. Not many kits. Awsome selection of paints, glues, and building supplys (Styrene).

Larry's Hobbys (IH45 @ FM1960)- Horrible service. Kit selection keeps getting smaller but has all the great kits. Not much paint.

(Hi all - I searched the site before I posted and found the above.)

So, its now 2012...and this post was 2010. I am going to be in Houston for a few days and want to check out a store or two. Ideally I am looking for one with some old kits (Airfix, Matchbox etc) and paints, supplies and such.

If anyone sees this, can they let me know which of the three is the best to go too, bearing in mind what I am looking for..

Thanks in advance.

Adam

M&M Hobby's selection of plastic kits has been getting smaller and smaller over the recent past.

From what I've observed, they seem to be tailing plastic off and rolling over toward R/C only.

Paints and supplies have been pretty well stocked, but the kit selection may leave you wondering why you made the trip.

G&G seems to be holding steady, which is a good thing.

Only problem there is the air - last time I was in, it smelled like a cat #2'ed in the airducts. :woot.gif:

Last time I was at Larry's (several months ago), the only thing that grabbed my eye was the 1/72 Platz RQ-4 Global Hawks. Pricey, but at the time I hadn't seen them anywhere else on a store shelf in Texas (and I do a fair amount of traveling for work.)

Edited by RotorheadTX

I was in Larry's a couple weeks ago. Typical pricing for a LHS. They have some good Hase, Hobbyboss and other nice kits. I picked up the Ventura while I was there (why not).

G&G folks are friendly. Not much in plastic, but a nice little shop for supplies, especially diorama. Also a neat area of town (near Rice University)

M&M wasn't bad. Still keeping a decent supply of plastic. Had fun tooling around there.

• 2 years later...
  • 5 months later...

Save your money for the Dallas area - Houston has become the Dead Zone AFAIK.

I did see a sign for a new shop off I-10 near Beltway 8 on the SW side, but it's an RC-only outfit. No plastic.

Wild Bill's in Irving should be your #1, then Hobbytown USA @ Walnut Hill or Hobbytown USA @ I-20.

The place "Nazca Kitchen" next to the Walnut Hill location has some amazing food, if you're adventurous.

Crossroads Diner, just in the next parking lot is also a vgood place to eat.

Edited by RotorheadTX
  • 4 years later...
6 hours ago, Helmsman said:

So is anything left in Houston? Yellowpages shows few places like G&G and Hobbytown but hobbytown website shows nothing.

Folks that owned the Houston Hobby Town USA also own the San Antonio store (which I am just back from).

They closed the Houston store, and are (supposedly) moving all the stock to San Antonio (which was today's excuse for empty shelves)

• 4 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 5/31/2019 at 5:10 PM, Da SWO said:

Folks that owned the Houston Hobby Town USA also own the San Antonio store (which I am just back from).

They closed the Houston store, and are (supposedly) moving all the stock to San Antonio (which was today's excuse for empty shelves)

The San Antonio store is shutting dow.  Shelves are mostly empty, and the clerks there think they have 1-2 weeks left.