Coolest looking F-14A squadron?

Sooner or later I'm going to make another 1/32 Tamiya F-14, which I'll likely make mostly OOTB into an "A". The VF-154 Black Knights decals that I have look pretty cool, but I hate making something that everybody else has 10,000 times.

So, what other "A" squadrons look cool as well, that I CAN BUY 1/32 DECALS for? I have a serious case of 1/48th envy!

I love so much VF-31 Tomcatters Squadron! Think they're one of the best eye-catching birds and one of the oldest glorious Navy units. Red tails, black radome and the great Felix Cat features are unique of their kind. :rolleyes:

http://www.airfighters.com/photo_7527.deta...ca36a9c6ee4c592

I'm building a D-bird from Yellowhammer sheet, unfortunately (if my memory does not fail me) the only available sheet for the A-version is the older SuperScale but now and then you can find SS sheets on eBay.

cheers,

Luca

Edited by Alpagueur

I'm kinda partial to VF-24 so I did these! Includes things like the landing gear and ejection seat placards. (I bought the new Eduard 1/32 F-14 placards and thought they sucked) Our sheet is perfect for an OOB F-14A 1994 version, or the older version but needs Naca vents and TCS.

VF-24201FTD32002x.jpg

-brian

Edited by Brian P: Fightertown Decals

I am in the process of making 32nd scale VF-24, VF-111 and VF-114 Tomcats.

While the Sundowners do look pretty good, I think my fave is the Renegades also.....just a cool scheme with the big checkmark on a black tail

That VF-24 jet is really cool with the black tails and white rudders and ventrals, I didnt know that was out in 1/32.

I am in the process of making 32nd scale VF-24, VF-111 and VF-114 Tomcats.

While the Sundowners do look pretty good, I think my fave is the Renegades also.....just a cool scheme with the big checkmark on a black tail

3 1/32 tomcats? crap, your nuts. Revell or Tamiya?

Edited by tomcatter727
That VF-24 jet is really cool with the black tails and white rudders and ventrals, I didnt know that was out in 1/32.

3 1/32 tomcats? crap, your nuts. Revell or Tamiya?

Revell.

I'm nuts....not rich.

Besides....not a big fan of rescribing for months

I have all the necessary bits for this one - VF-211 Last Cruise (Superscale) on a 1994 Tamiya

F14A_VF211_AB100_161612_001.jpg

Just need some time off (and personal motivation :(/> ) to finish this stalled project.

Edited by Andy Mullen

The VF-24 sheet we just released 2 weeks ago! Here's a little sneak peak at something else I drew up last week. Not sure if we'll send it to print, kinda waiting to see how much money we lose on the VF-24 sheet first :monkeydance:

NSAWC/Topgun Tomcats would let you build 3 complete jets out of 6 options. Should keep Adversary Tomcat fans busy awhile. Scaled the artwork to fit the Tamiya kit, but should also fit just fine on the Revell.

32badCats2.jpg

-brian

The VF-24 sheet we just released 2 weeks ago! Here's a little sneak peak at something else I drew up last week. Not sure if we'll send it to print, kinda waiting to see how much money we lose on the VF-24 sheet first :cheers:

NSAWC/Topgun Tomcats would let you build 3 complete jets out of 6 options. Should keep Adversary Tomcat fans busy awhile. Scaled the artwork to fit the Tamiya kit, but should also fit just fine on the Revell.

32badCats2.jpg

-brian

I think I know that aircrew guy on the VF-24 instruction sheet!

The blue splinter scheme all the way is my fave... On a fleet bird the c 1998 VF-31 Black Tail CAG 100 (164600) or VF-213 164602 #213 last cruise... Not that I am partial or anything! :worship:

Not sure if we'll send it to print, kinda waiting to see how much money we lose on the VF-24 sheet first :cheers:

-brian

With all due respect Brian, the VF-24 scheme is "OK", but I think the vast majority of F-14 builders want something that's evil wicked, mean and nasty. That's why I want the VF-101 showbird decals in 1/32. The VF-142 scheme ain't half-bad either....

f14-squadron-vf142-02.jpg

This question will lead to nowhere. There isn't many tomcat schemes out there that doesnt have a fan.

I have asked myself this question and found out that the only answer is to build all of them! :cheers:

IMO, the coolest looking one will be any VF-31 cats. Can't go wrong with Felix.

Other cool schemes I like are the VF-103 santa cat, Miss molly from sundowners, VF-2 low vis scheme, VF-1 Wolfpack CAG scheme.

Of course I can go on and on.

This question will lead to nowhere. There isn't many tomcat schemes out there that doesnt have a fan.

Agree, but why is VF-84 and VF-103 so much more popular than any other squadron? The BONES baby! They're mean.

Agree, but why is VF-84 and VF-103 so much more popular than any other squadron?

Hmmmmm.....that topic sounds a bit familiar...

I guess I am not included in the vast majority of Tomcat builders....cause I don't care about wicked evil, mean or nasty.

When I was looking for markings to do for my Tomcats, I tried to find markings that you didn't see every day and something that looked cool. A red stripe running down the nose with a wolfs head at the end looks cool. A big red sunburst on the tail looks cool. A globe with a snake wrapped around it looks cool. I could gives a rats *** about skulls and bones or skeletons.

Edited by paul.nortness

Actually, the VF-124 Gunslinger demo bird special scheme (with the patch on the tail) in the recent Revell kit is a nice one IMHO for 1/32 scale. Plus, you don't see it all that often. In other scales it is very rare as Hasegawa only did it in 1/72 and in 1/48, the Repliscale sheet is the only one that had it as well.

As for some other favorites in 1/32

VF-41 (Su-22 killers scheme, D&S did it)

VF-1 (early Wolfpack scheme)

VF-101 (red tail with black grim reaper scheme, CAM decals offered it)

But there are all sorts of other schemes to choose from. Too bad nobody offers any 1/32 IIAF or IRIAF markings as those would certainly be eye catching on a Tomcat (almost like forbidden fruit in a sense).

The VF-24 sheet we just released 2 weeks ago! Here's a little sneak peak at something else I drew up last week. Not sure if we'll send it to print, kinda waiting to see how much money we lose on the VF-24 sheet first :doh:

32badCats2.jpg

-brian

Brian, you dirty rat.....you did that on purposely. Now, I have no choice but to buy your VF-24 sheet. I LOVE the sneak peak and you better get busy and send it to the printers or else... :cheers: Don't make me drive down to LA. :rofl:

Mike

edit: ps; coooooolest Tomcat ever and then all the VX CATs!!

Edited by Youngtiger1
I have all the necessary bits for this one - VF-211 Last Cruise (Superscale) on a 1994 Tamiya

F14A_VF211_AB100_161612_001.jpg

Just need some time off (and personal motivation :thumbsup: ) to finish this stalled project.

Andy,

These are the last cruise marks, August 28, 2003 through February 29, 2004. The markings in your banner represent the farewell scheme.

BTW, nice banner. Would be nice to see a sheet released depicting Nickel 100 and/or 101 during its final WestPac Deployment, Last Tomcat Cruise and Farewell Scheme. Please post pics of your finished project.

Cheers,

Dave

161603F-14AVF-211CLIFTON-GRANDSL-1.jpg

161626, departing Oceana for AMARC, September '04

161626F-14AVF-211TomcatFarewell-1.jpg

Edited by Sig Saur & Son