Well, here we go ... a project I've been thinking on for some months ....

The Armstrong Whitworth Siskin III, the first all-metal fighter of the RAF, served in 10 RAF Squadrons from 1927 thru 1932. It certainly wasn't the most aesthetic aircraft 'tween wars, but there were more of them than any other type until the Gladiator.

Squadron service: 1, 17, 19, 25, 29, 32, 41, 43, 56, and 111.

And so, we have my 2008 Matchbox Madness entry -- the A.W. Siskin, 10 of 'em, one per squadron. I have specific decals for 6 of them thanks to the kit (29,32), Mike Grant (1,19,56), and Model Decal (43). I have lots of roundels, 'twenn wars serials, some 'tweener squadron markings for other aircraft that might work, and of course many sheets of trim film.

mbx-mad2008_siskin-all_2632s.jpg

And of course, here's the obigatory parts & pieces photo of one of them ....

mbx-mad2008_siskin-parts_2637s.jpg

But wait, there's more .... Counting carefully you'll see 12 kit boxes, but I only listed 10 squadrons !?!? Well, ignoring training squadrons, there was one more -- 54 Sqdn had a half-dozen IIIDC for a few months in 1930 while they awaited their Bulldogs.

What's a IIIDC you ask ? It's III Dual Cockpit, so the two spare kits will be hacked into one of those for 54 Sqdn.

This will be mass assembly, not very pretty, and I have some other things on the bench that have to take priority in next few weeks, so don't expect many postings for a while ....

John

Barney needing a 1:48 scale Siskin.

I have a set of plans and scratbuild article if you feel up to it.

John what a fab idea. I have a couple of Siskins stashed but the problem is always deciding which scheme to use. The answer was obvious really!

peebeep

Don't forget that the Canadian Air Force used them as well with the famous Siskins aerobatic team doing a 3 plane "tied together" routine

Barney needing a 1:48 scale Siskin.

Yes, I know that, and did consider it, but my interest is in the RAF/FAA of the "Silver Wings" era.

In defense, I did a Canadian Stranraer.

If you haunt e-bay (set up a search), the Aeroclub 1/48 Siskin shows once every 6 months or so.

John

Triage ...

Spent last couple days separating parts into tubs ...

How many colors in a 2-color kit ?

mbx-mad2008_siskin_10-triage_2641s.jpg

Decision point -- do they sit on the ground or do I build them on stands ?

-- on ground means shortening all the gear legs and doing something with cockpit ....

-- in air allows me to ignore gear & cockpit, but means doing pilots ...

There's enough work here that I'll confine myself to pretty much OOB; well, I may correct the gun troughs ...

Got to get serious about picking my 10(11) specific aircraft ...

John

THIS IS Matchbox Madness!

Awesome picture, but doing it you are tempting the Carpet Monster.

Take care and enjoy.

Cya

Those plastic tubs are from snack foods and all have tops (not in the picture) to keep "snacks" from the carpet monster ...

John

• 3 months later...

My apologies to the GB ...

I have started this project, but am totally overwhelmed by several builds for our chapter entry at the IPMS Nats and two heavy duty review builds for IPMS. I am reduced to sneaking work on the Siskins when I can, but it isn't going well. Most parts are cleaned, some rigging holes drilled, all decals have been acquired, etc ...

I hope, by August, certainly after the Nats, I'll be able to dedicate full time to this in a mad race for 1 Sep.

Again, my apologies -- it wasn't supposed to go this way ...

John

John

I do look forward to seeing this Matchbox MADNESS (and it is!!) entry progress. We are all busy at times :)

I am contemplating another Matchbox 1:76 armour build at the moment, now my first entry is done.

:)

MikeJ

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...