UPD: Hase's 1:48 J35 Draken sprue-shots

Hmmm... Looks like they basically scaled up the 1/72 kit. (not a bad thing, just an observation)

Bit of a disappointment to see an integral spine. Guess there won't be any two-seaters?

Is the clear sprue tinted? Wonder if that's just a one-off test shot thing.

What's with the tubular piece on the drop tank sprue? Half of an exhaust tube? (if so, GREAT news, one of the irritating detail omissions in the 1/72 kit)

All in all, given the expected price-point, looks like a great little kit. It's not superdetailed, not a lot of extraneous details, but it doesn't need to be, really. Just a good, solid, normal Draken - honestly, who would have *ever* thought we'd see THAT from a mainstream manufacturer?

Now the big question is, what will the aftermarket do with it? I wonder how long it'll take to release recce noses and conversion bumps. Maybe even a cockpit set or two. Or intakes, even!

As for the TA-4 nonsense... I have a feeling a couple of people are taking a page from the Vigilante playbook. Get a tiny number of people to ***** loudly and frequently, at every possible opportunity, to give the impression that there's enormous demand for the subject in the hope that some company is foolish enough to actually tool one. Unfortunately, the Skyhawk efforts are clumsily done, and only make the complainers look silly.

The only bad thing I can see...no Falcons in the kit. But then again it IS Hasegawa so what did I expect, but it'd been nice to have some AIM-4s and especially AIM-26s OOB as those are not real common missiles we have just laying in the spares box.

Good thing...Swedish Falcons were overall green, no red and white craziness to paint.

Matt

And I know the earlier Falcons are in the Weapons kit #1, but I don't like buying an add on that costs nearly as much as the base kit just to get a couple of missiles!

Cause not everybody cares about US aircraft only! Many Europeans wouldn't care about a TA-4J at all but will gladly buy a Draken or two.

When will the TA-4J fans stop whining in every Draken topic?!

I am pretty sure you're completely wrong

Cause not everybody cares about US aircraft only! Many Europeans wouldn't care about a TA-4J at all but will gladly buy a Draken or two.

When will the TA-4J fans stop whining in every Draken topic?!

As for the TA-4 nonsense... I have a feeling a couple of people are taking a page from the Vigilante playbook. Get a tiny number of people to ***** loudly and frequently, at every possible opportunity, to give the impression that there's enormous demand for the subject in the hope that some company is foolish enough to actually tool one. Unfortunately, the Skyhawk efforts are clumsily done, and only make the complainers look silly.

Personally, I love European aircraft and agree they don't get the attention they deserve, but because someone laments over the lack of the of an aircraft, in this case, a TA-4, in a thread about a newly released aircraft model, isn't just cause for you to bash the people who casually observed they are surprised by the latest release. In short, get off your high horse. Jeez. I for one am tired of the smugness and false sense of superiority that is permeating this forum as of late. You bash the guys on "diaperscale" when you are just as bad here and then also turn on your fellow ARCers. I've said it before and I'll say it again, there is a reason I post less and less here.

Hmmm... Looks like they basically scaled up the 1/72 kit. (not a bad thing, just an observation)

My first thought too. I was hoping for a little more, personally.

The only bad thing I can see...no Falcons in the kit. But then again it IS Hasegawa so what did I expect, but it'd been nice to have some AIM-4s and especially AIM-26s OOB as those are not real common missiles we have just laying in the spares box.

Good thing...Swedish Falcons were overall green, no red and white craziness to paint.

Matt

And I know the earlier Falcons are in the Weapons kit #1, but I don't like buying an add on that costs nearly as much as the base kit just to get a couple of missiles!

Unfortunately, the AIM-26B / RB-27 Falcons as carried by the later Drakens are not in any of the Hasegawa weapons sets. I was hoping that they would at least include this in the kit since they can't just say "go buy our weapons set".

Hey Guys,

I know you Draken heads are glad to get your plane. I'll probably get one myself. My point was after Has. did 5-6 different Skyhawks, thought we could get the TA-4J before now. I know the Draken is a great fighter, after all they're being used as targets over here.

Chuck

Bring on the Draken! I shall have to see if I can find pictures of Bobby Rahal's Saab Draken painted up in Miller Genuine Draft colors like his Indycar from 1991-92. That was a sweet paintjob on an equally sweet looking machine. I will get this one and build it ASAP.

As for the Skyhawk whiners, looking at the TF-104 kits from Hase that came out last year, they haven't exactly been flying off the shelves and the 104 tooling has been around longer then the Skyhawk tooling. Licensing might also have a bit to do with it as Douglas is now owned by Boeing. Be patient.

Otherwise, grab a Monogram OA-4M, slice the bump off and either get a Red Roo conversion or chop down a Monogram F-105 Thunderchief droptank to do the spine area behind the canopy. Or get a Fujimi TA-4J (or one of its Minicraft/Sanwa copies) and graft the nose with either a Hasegawa kit or a Hobbycraft one (which may fit better) and get to work. Neither solution is particularly difficult to accomplish. If you want it bad enough, find a way to do it yourself. :thumbsup:

Pretty nice. Depending on the price, I might even get a 1/48 kit for a change.

<...> But I will do a little of my own whining re oooh I wish there was a 1/48 Viggen in this mix! <...>

I'll come to your assistance! Come on, Hasegawa, you know you want to! :rofl::thumbsup:

The only bad thing I can see...no Falcons in the kit. But then again it IS Hasegawa so what did I expect, <...>

:thumbsup: Nice one! And oh so true...

Since the question about markings and versions have been raised, I might aswell add a few cents on the subject.

The markings included in the kit are for one J 35F-2 and two J 35J, green/blue camouflage and the experimental early low-viz scheme (F10-39). Sorry guys, no OEs this time....

But when looking closely at the sprues, you can clearly see that the split-up of the parts allows for some interesting future options. It appears that they have prepared the frames for a D-model (on wich the OE was based), so an Austrian release may be waiting around the corner. I can also spot separate panels for the guns, fintop, tailcone and nose. As a mather of fact, I think you can make any single seat Draken from this kit with the addition of some extra sprues. Heck, maybe we'll even get to se an F-35 someday....

:popcorn:

Per

It appears that they have prepared the frames for a D-model (on wich the OE was based), so an Austrian release may be waiting around the corner.

Considering Hasegawa's penchant for reissuing kits with "special" markings, I vote for very soon rather than later. 1 year, tops.

Ken

Personally, I love European aircraft and agree they don't get the attention they deserve, but because someone laments over the lack of the of an aircraft, in this case, a TA-4, in a thread about a newly released aircraft model, isn't just cause for you to bash the people who casually observed they are surprised by the latest release. In short, get off your high horse. Jeez. I for one am tired of the smugness and false sense of superiority that is permeating this forum as of late. You bash the guys on "diaperscale" when you are just as bad here and then also turn on your fellow ARCers. I've said it before and I'll say it again, there is a reason I post less and less here.

Fuji,

I, too, have seen an increase in what you comment on. I think much of it comes simply from the expansion in the numbers of people posting on ARC. The more people coming into the community, the more differing opinions there are. That's bound to lead to some nastiness, unfortunately. I can only hope we stay civil on our discussions. It would pain me to see this forum go down the drain.

Fuji,

I, too, have seen an increase in what you comment on. I think much of it comes simply from the expansion in the numbers of people posting on ARC. The more people coming into the community, the more differing opinions there are. That's bound to lead to some nastiness, unfortunately. I can only hope we stay civil on our discussions. It would pain me to see this forum go down the drain.

I don't know why we can't all just be happy and get along :P

I don't have an 'either/or' attitude to it. The Draken is a wonderful surprise and I've preordered mine. And I really would like a TA-4 and I'd get multiple copies of that too. I don't see how anyone really wins from Hasegawa making a TA-4 instead of the Draken. The TA-4 would be a variant of an existing mould, whereas the Draken diversifies their range, and diversity is good. This way I am sure we will get other versions of the Draken as well as the two-seat Skyhawks. After all, with the exception of the F-8 (which is newer than the A-4), what other modern kits has Hasegawa *not* exploited to the maximum? The two-seat Starfighters were eventually released and the TA-4s will surely come. All I need is patience, and with 90 kits in the closet crying out 'build me' and 40 years remaining of my three score and ten, that's what I have lots of.

Cheers

Jon

+1 Same thing on HS. Whenever someone posts about new Hasegawa releases, there are always 1 or 2 people asking where's my 1/48 TA-4?

I want a T-A4 as well, but I am growing tired of those who pit it against other releases. As you point out it is becoming all too common.

Bring on the Draken! I shall have to see if I can find pictures of Bobby Rahal's Saab Draken painted up in Miller Genuine Draft colors like his Indycar from 1991-92. That was a sweet paintjob on an equally sweet looking machine. I will get this one and build it ASAP.

As for the Skyhawk whiners, looking at the TF-104 kits from Hase that came out last year, they haven't exactly been flying off the shelves and the 104 tooling has been around longer then the Skyhawk tooling. Licensing might also have a bit to do with it as Douglas is now owned by Boeing. Be patient.

Otherwise, grab a Monogram OA-4M, slice the bump off and either get a Red Roo conversion or chop down a Monogram F-105 Thunderchief droptank to do the spine area behind the canopy. Or get a Fujimi TA-4J (or one of its Minicraft/Sanwa copies) and graft the nose with either a Hasegawa kit or a Hobbycraft one (which may fit better) and get to work. Neither solution is particularly difficult to accomplish. If you want it bad enough, find a way to do it yourself. :P

The TF-104Js have flown off the shelves here. It is the G model that doesn't sell well. Not many J's made it to Canada (go figure, it is the best of to model a CF-104D). Poor marketing in my eyes.

Have to say I thought it quite absurd to open a thread about a Draken to find someone saying they wished it was a TA-4J - I mean, what is the point of that?!

I'm quite pleased that Hasegawa have opted to tackle something which is, by any standards, fairly obscure, although I'm also surprised that they didn't go for the Viggen, as it seems to have more appeal. But it's good to see something which falls outside of the usual range of modern stuff or WWII subjects which have been tackled time and time again. Hope they re-issue the Draken as a more recent Danish machine with the chisel nose - that's the familiar machine for us Brits who used to see them all the time.

What is this obsession with the TA-4J? Okay, it's an interesting aircraft but there's already the big 32nd Hasegawa kit, a lovely 72nd Fujimi kit, and maybe a Trumpeter kit sooner or later, so it's not like the subject hasn't already been covered. There's also the ancient Fujimi 48th kit I seem to recall? Couldn't you just combine that with one of the recent Hasegawa Skyhawks?

I think Hasegawa should be congratulated for trying something a little bit different, and I hope the kit sells well. It might encourage them to try the Viggen too. Anyway, if we're going to moan about the more common subjects that would benefit from the release of a really good, detailed and accurate modern kit in 48th scale, I'd rather see a Tornado than a TA-4J any time, but then I'm just as biased as anyone else!

Incidentally, re- the earlier post :-

Get a tiny number of people to ***** loudly and frequently, at every possible opportunity, to give the impression that there's enormous demand for the subject in the hope that some company is foolish enough to actually tool one.

I wouldn't worry about it - it seems to be a very common misconception that manufacturers are interested in what us model freaks say or think but of course they aren't. Doesn't matter how long some people might whine about subjects, the big manufacturers have their own agendas, and base their choices on wider commercial viewpoints and they're obviously wise enough to know that for every guy who moans about the non-appearance of a TA-4J (or Tornado!), there will be another one who wants something completely different. I think some people have a mental image of some "spy" from Hasegawa sat at his computer, scrutinising every post made on here. Dream on!

Edited by Chox
What is this obsession with the TA-4J?

Who knows? It is starting to get a little old to see the \"Where\'s my TA-4?\" in every new kit thread.

Okay, it\'s an interesting aircraft but there\'s already the big 32nd Hasegawa kit, a lovely 72nd Fujimi kit, and maybe a Trumpeter kit sooner or later, so it\'s not like the subject hasn\'t already been covered. There\'s also the ancient Fujimi 48th kit I seem to recall? Couldn\'t you just combine that with one of the recent Hasegawa Skyhawks?

The Fujimi kit is 1/50th, like a lot of their \"1/48\" line, but I think its possible to mate parts of it with the Hasegawa kit.

Kiwi Resin made a resin conversion kit recently, plus I think C&H makes one as well. IIRC the Kiwi conversion sold out, so there\'s a market for one, but I honestly think that the market for an injected 1/48 TA-4 is limited and would probably not sell well at all. Plus the markings options are limited and confined to a few USN squadrons, which limits the number of reissues.

In contrast the Draken has international appeal, multiple operators mean multiple reissues with different parts and decals, and the basic airframe didn\'t change, so it will be easy to add sprues here and there to make the various versions. And Hasegawa will definitely do a bunch of \"special edition\" reissues in all the various special schemes that Austrian Drakens wore.

Have to say I thought it quite absurd to open a thread about a Draken to find someone saying they wished it was a TA-4J - I mean, what is the point of that?!

Exactly!

Ken

Edited by kenlilly106
What is this obsession with the TA-4J?

Who knows? It is starting to get a little old to see the "Where's my TA-4?" in every new kit thread.

Okay, it's an interesting aircraft but there's already the big 32nd Hasegawa kit, a lovely 72nd Fujimi kit, and maybe a Trumpeter kit sooner or later, so it's not like the subject hasn't already been covered. There's also the ancient Fujimi 48th kit I seem to recall? Couldn't you just combine that with one of the recent Hasegawa Skyhawks?

The Fujimi kit is 1/50th, like a lot of their "1/48" line, but I think its possible to mate parts of it with the Hasegawa kit.

Kiwi Resin made a resin conversion kit recently, plus I think C&H makes one as well. IIRC the Kiwi conversion sold out, so there's a market for one, but I honestly think that the market for an injected 1/48 TA-4 is limited and would probably not sell well at all. Plus the markings options are limited and confined to a few USN squadrons, which limits the number of reissues.

In contrast the Draken has international appeal, multiple operators mean multiple reissues with different parts and decals, and the basic airframe didn't change, so it will be easy to add sprues here and there to make the various versions. And Hasegawa will definitely do a bunch of "special edition" reissues in all the various special schemes that Austrian Drakens wore.

Exactly!

Ken

And yet, I find it funny that you guys whine more about the "whiners" than the "whiners" do about the TA-4. I'll say it one more time gentlemen, TOLERANCE.

A cool looking plane - not my cup of tea though. You guys can build my kit.

Nice to see Hasegawa with a new-tool release. I'm relieved to know that they're still in the business of making new model kits and not re-popping old ones all of the time.

Randy

In Sweden we talk about serials and call-sign-numbers, they are not the same. Call-sign-numbers are/were also sometimes referred to as station numbers. I'm looking forward to this kit and the fact that the rear flaps are not being seperate so they can be drooped, i hope the aftermarket guys come to the rescue as i don't think the guys over at Hase will change it now that release is imminent.