Johno (MadMike) send me this a few years ago, so what better time to dust it off & build.

I said I was gonna go easy on the scratching, but the cockpit was just too sparse & I couldn't live with the missing 'dashboard' - besides I needed to put that in so I could fit an IP in the right place. Then I decided to add a few more pieces to make it look a bit busy in there. Guess this means I'm gonna cut the canopy & display open :P .

It needed a floor too.

Box.jpg

Seat.jpg

Port2.jpg

Starbd2.jpg

Johno (MadMike) send me this a few years ago, so what better time to dust it off & build.

I said I was gonna go easy on the scratching, but the cockpit was just too sparse & I couldn't live with the missing 'dashboard' - besides I needed to put that in so I could fit an IP in the right place. Then I decided to add a few more pieces to make it look a bit busy in there. Guess this means I'm gonna cut the canopy & display open :P .

It needed a floor too.

Box.jpg

Seat.jpg

Port2.jpg

Starbd2.jpg

Looking good mate, but you DO know this the kit is wildly inaccurate for the -4 model, but being Matchbox....who cares? :worship:

I love the way you super detail! Bloody beaut mate, it really is. I remember getting you this kit too!

:P

Johno

Edited by madmike
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Excellent scratchbuild!

If the seat was made using a single piece of styrene... How did you bend it to achieve these round shapes?

Looks really good.

Cya.

No, the seat was made from 2 pieces of styrene, glued together & I sanded the join between them as much as possible to make it disappear.

Been so busy the past few weeks work has stopped, but the fuselage is together (lots of putty), tailplanes on, ready to glue wing halves together.

the instruments panel is not the matchbox one, I think :D

:thumbsup: :huh:

Correct - cos is there is no inst panel with the Matchbox kit, so i made one. I've got thyat technique down pat now :P

• 1 month later...

Getting a roll on now. Undercoated, pre-shaded, colours sprayed for the stars + bars and the green wing, fuselage and cowling bands, which are now masked. Start spraying the main colour (blue) next - planning to make it look quite weathered.

One hassle with this kit - you have to put the prop on at an early stage which is a pain - hence the big square of newspaper masking.

Masking1.jpg

Edited by Thommo
Getting a roll on now. Undercoated, pre-shaded, colours sprayed for the stars + bars and the green wing, fuselage and cowling bands, which are now masked. Start spraying the main colour (blue) next - planning to make it look quite weathered.

One hassle with this kit - you have to put the prop on at an early stage which is a pain - hence the big square of newspaper masking.

Masking1.jpg

I am really enjoying your build (and the rest also). Looking forward to your paint job!

Cheers, Vic

I am liking this Thommo, bloody beaut!

How are you cutting the masks out so neatly?

:cheers:

Johno

Hi Johno

The masks are not quite as neat as I'd like but what I do for the straight bits is photocopy the decal sheet, cut roughly about each decal image, then put it over some Tamyia tape and used a needle to prick thru the paper into the tape at the corners, or the points of the stars etc. Then I just use those pin pricks as a guide to cut the mask with a steel ruler & exacto blade.

For the circles on the fuselage band, I just use a plastic circle template over the tape to guide the exacto.

I find it quite hard in 1/72 to get is really accurate & no doubt there will be a few glitches to fix when the masking comes off.

I've got the main blue color sprayed now - started with Tamyia gloss X4 plus flat base, but was wrong colour. Then tried MM deep sea blue - also wrong colour. Then I got smart & went back & read my ARC gallery post on my 1/48 corsair build a few years ago where I'd written that Gunze Blue Angel Blue with flat base was perfect - DOH! (though you'd never know looking at the pot lid colour which is what threw me) :thumbsup: So mixed that up and sprayed over the first two coats :worship:

Now pondering how to do some paint fading effects etc cos it look a little to factory fresh for my tastes.

Ive realized I've made a bit of a mistake by not putting the wing cannon in befire painting. Might now have to convert them to MGs like Damo, or just whack em in later. Either way, there'll be some filling to do which will muck up my nicely masked wing bands.

I remember thinking as I'd painted the cannons, they'd need to go in later but in retrospect, I should have installed them & masked them - bollocks!

thought i'd document the weathering process. Here are the base coats (3 different colours, if i'd been bit smarter it would have just been one as mentioned above :salute: ). You can see the darker panel line shading underneath.

Johno - i did not understand your last idea about the cannons? - oh just read it again, i think you were referring to weathering the blue, not the cannon/MG issue. I'm thinking of trying some medium blue mixed with the Gunze Angel Blue as the first pass.

BlueBaseCoat0007.jpg

Edited by Thommo

Sprayed some random areas with a lighter blue (mix of Gunze Angel Blue & Tamyia Medium Blue) to depict fading. Didn't mask the straight bits, just held a piece of newspaper along the panel lines where needed. Also a pic of a Korean Corsair which shows the heavy weathering I'm trying to replicate.

FirstWeathering0002.jpg

FirstWeathering0005.jpg

Korea201.jpg