BOEING P-12E

Hi Lads!

Time to build this bird and remember those childhood days. Oh what fun we had!

00ny4.jpg

First, a picture of the stuff. Despite it age, all seems to be OK.

01mv3.jpg

A first look on the pieces. Comparing the P-12 engine front against the Monogram F4B4, the shape in Matchbox kit is too much simplified and inaccurate.

02xg6.jpg

So I will try to duplicate the Monogram piece using polymer and epoxy clays.

03nb8.jpg

Meanwhile, the fuselage halves need to be sanded and erase those overdone rivets and then, time to the boring rescribing work.

05bb5.jpg

Inspecting the decal sheet, the good news... they are not yellowished! But the bad news... they are poorly designed and printed.

Can anybody find the "Bucking Mule" in that circle?

06ha0.jpg

In case nobody find and bring it to me, I prefer draw and print my own Mule decal.

07pb1.jpg

In next input, I will try to show the engine duplicate and all the rescribing work done.

Cheers!

Cya.

Edited by El pibe vitina

Wow you've got some great ideas in the works! I'm going to be watching this one closely, as I've got two of these I'm planning on building for this group build, although mine will both be very heavily modified.

Bri2k

You have a re-pop kit, all of which are infamous for lousy decals -- you may want to test them to see if they fall apart on you. There might be aftermarket available, although it seems like you are perfectly capable of printing all of your own decals ... wish I could do that ...

I like the extra work you are putting into it .. good job !

John

Edited by jRatz

Excellent choice, I'll follow this one with great interest.

If those Monogram's engine castings turns good, would it be possible to have a copy, to put on mine waiting in it's box... :)

I see the diameter is on both is not the same, what is the right one ?

And those awfull decals.... not much more usable in the old original seventies boxthan than those from a newer re-pop, so, same problem for everyone to find good markings replacement.

Good job so far :monkeydance:

What a memory?

Great to see!!!

Adam

BOEING P-12E

Hi Lads!

00ny4.jpg

01mv3.jpg

A first look on the pieces. Comparing the P-12 engine front against the Monogram F4B4, the shape in Matchbox kit is too much simplified and inaccurate.

02xg6.jpg

03nb8.jpg

Meanwhile, the fuselage halves need to be sanded and erase those overdone rivets and then, time to the boring rescribing work.

05bb5.jpg

Inspecting the decal sheet, the good news... they are not yellowished! But the bad news... they are poorly designed and printed.

06ha0.jpg

In case nobody find and bring it to me, I prefer draw and print my own Mule decal.

07pb1.jpg

In next input, I will try to show the engine duplicate and all the rescribing work done.

Cheers!

Cya.

Thanks for your comments mates!

If those Monogram's engine castings turns good, would it be possible to have a copy, to put on mine waiting in it's box... :)

I see the diameter is on both is not the same, what is the right one ?

Usually to duplicate pieces, I use disposable molds. Sometimes for simple shaped pieces I use water soluble clays.

In this case, will be first time I will use an epoxi or polymer clays cause this piece is more complex.

Im not sure if I will use melt pewter or liquid styrene to fill it.

Any advice about this is welcome.

Let me test during next days. I cant promise you a copy, but possibly a mold to use (if I not destroy all).

I dont know wich is the right one in diameter, just the Monogram one is better in shape.

Your question realized me about the engine cowling diameter. Matchbox one is obviously smaller than Monogram.

I have a problem!

Cya.

Edited by El pibe vitina

This build brings back memories of many years ago when I was a youngster. A friend of mine (Now an ex pat working at Qualcomm Ireland as the Systems Ops Manager) made all the USAAF fighters of the 30's era. He made this kit and I thought it was the best he had on display.

Watching this thread with interest!

:)

MikeJ

• 1 month later...

More progress.

Hi again!

Finally I gave up trying to duplicate the Monogram F-4B engine. The Matchbox cowling is smaller than this piece. So I will continue with the original kit´s engine.

09vs2.jpg

I did some "make up" work in the cockpit adding some details, a decent instrument panel and replacing the pilot´s seat with one made by myself using soft aluminum sheet. The interior was painted in Humbrol Aluminum 56.

08wi3.jpg

Both halves glued, and then join the wings, tail, rudders, upper wing supports and undercarriage structure.

After apply putty and sand I painted a primer coat of Humbrol chrome to search mistakes done during the rescribing and sanding work. I found several, so I need another putty/sand session.

10rr4.jpg

The silver coat also allows me match the two plastic colours for the preshading work with brown and black paint.

Cya!

Edited by El pibe vitina

Great Mule Luis!!! Nice job.

Adam

BOEING P-12E

Hi Lads!

00ny4.jpg

01mv3.jpg

02xg6.jpg

03nb8.jpg

05bb5.jpg

06ha0.jpg

07pb1.jpg

Cheers!

Cya.

• 4 weeks later...

Dressing it

Okay, here again!

Main pieces painted. (All Humbrol) Olive Drab for the fuselage and Yellow for wings and tail. The 95th Squadron colors in rear cockpit, wheels and engine cowling surfaces were painted with Pale Yellow and black. These stripes were the most difficult task in this paintjob.

The inaccurate size of the engine cowling (too small) was optical increased by the black stripes showing it even more smallest than the real one.

A pair of Future coats to protect the paint and prepare the surface for decalling and washes. The kit´s decals were a nightmare, cracking with a minor touch with water. I replaced them with Special Hobby BT-9 insignias and Buffalo red and white tail´s bars.

The propeller and bombs racks were painted with Alclad.

10sd5.jpg

Hope to finish it soon.

Cya!

• 4 weeks later...

Done!

Ok mates, First I must admit, I finished my model three weeks ago, but until yesterday I didnt found time to take decent pictures.

So here we go!

All pieces finally glued and a coat of Future to prepare the fuselage surfaces to decalling and washes. My mule custom printed decals showed (in photos) some dotscreen in brown areas, but they be better than kit decals. Washed with Vallejo diluted in water and detergent mix.

Then, the most boring task in any biplane... the rigging. Done with Lycra translucent thread. The thread colour is nice in the model, but in photos they appears as more white and thick. I must look for black or gray thread or even paint it to avoid this issue.

Finally a coat of Marabu satin barnish and glued the clear windshield. Again I realised looking the pictures the nasty thickness of this piece. I recommend replace it with a thin acetate clear part.

Last words to tell you I really enjoyed this build. I love Airfix and Matchbox kits, who with a little of extra work they turns into nice models.

Thanks to the organizers and see you in another nice ARC GB!

01ux6.jpg

More pictures in Completed entries thread.

Cya!

Edited by El pibe vitina

Nice job! I don't think the rigging looks too thick. Remember, the rigging wires were flat and about 10 or 12 mm wide so from many angles they'd look rather thick. The wire was also often silver so the white thread isn't bad at all. Your's came out much better than my last attempt. I had trouble getting the doubled flying wires so parallel, your's is much better!

Beautiful classic plane. Must be tiny even at 1/72!

Thanks mate. You noticed Im building in Helo GB a subject more smallest than this!

Very Nice build, like the rigging you even got it dobbel wired, super :cheers:

cheers Jes

Nice job! I don't think the rigging looks too thick. Remember, the rigging wires were flat and about 10 or 12 mm wide so from many angles they'd look rather thick. The wire was also often silver so the white thread isn't bad at all. Your's came out much better than my last attempt. I had trouble getting the doubled flying wires so parallel, your's is much better!

Thanks lads! The parallel doubled rigging needs the same distance between the two holes to insert the wires. Same distance in the pair of start point and same distance in end point holes. Dead easy.

The thread colour is translucent, but in pictures its appear as white. Thanks for your explanation about wires measures.

Cya!