I just finished the Hasegawa kt for the 109 group build an has such fun I decided to build another 109 for this group build. I baisically did the Tamiya kit strait out of the box with the exception of an Ultracast resin seat and addig a few levers in the cockpit.

I screwed up by putting the Hasegawa older-style canopy on my Tamiya kit- oh well, still more accurate than a Hollywood movie.

Loved doing the cammo job- did the RLM 80 splotches freehand with my Badger 360. I also did some pre-shading on panel lines with RLM 66. Paints use are as follows:

RLM 78 "Hellblau" undersides- Gunze #H418

RLM 79 "Sandgelb"- Testors Model Master 2088

RLM 80 "Dunkelgrun" Gunze Green FS34079 #H309

RLM 02 interiors- mix of Tamiya 1:XF22 (RLM Grey) & 1: XF57 (Buff

Kit decals were used and went on great wtih Mr. Softener. ProModeler dark wash was used over a coat of hand-brushed Future. I painted the white fusalage stripe and post-shaded the whole thing with a very fine dusting of Tamiya XF-57 Buff thinned about 80% to knock the tone of everything down a bit. Than did a final flat coat with Testor's MM Laquer Flat.

This was a really fun kit to build, my second Tamiya 109 and third 109 in the past year. I think I've done enough 1/48 109s now and am looking forward to 1/32!

bf-109builds007.jpg

bf-109builds003.jpg

bf-109builds016.jpg

bf-109builds015.jpg

Edited by toadwbg
Very nice. How you gents pull off freehand mottling is beyond me! :P

Lots of trial and error. I actually increased the pressure around 25psi (had been low around 10-15) and got a better paint stream with Gunze thinned about 50/50 with Iso Alchohol. The other trick was building up the paint's opacity, you don't get the "splotch" on one spray.