yea iv made one following QC Tan. not for an aircraft, just to test it out. It works pretty darn well

...as you can see in his pics.

a really good thing to do would be to shorten the hydrolics on the nose gear to show it "leaning" into the stop...if you get what i mean.

Richard

yea iv made one following QC Tan. not for an aircraft, just to test it out. It works pretty darn well

...as you can see in his pics.

a really good thing to do would be to shorten the hydrolics on the nose gear to show it "leaning" into the stop...if you get what i mean.

Richard

Would that be accurate with no brakes on the front wheels? Those are what cause a car or bike to compress the front suspension under braking I think.

if anything, it would be more likely that the rear gear would be compressed since the stopping force is a pull from the rear. as an example, if you ride a bike with front and rear brakes, and squeeze the front brakes, the front dives and you go over the handle bars. if you squeeze the rear brake, no dive.

but even you if slam on the back breaks you still go forward when you stop because of the kenetic energy.

so if the plane is stopping its still strying to go forward so the hydrolics on the front will still compress a bit (i think)

dam i dont want to go into phyisics lol.

common a jet pilot please read this thread! lol

yes! thank you.

physics win!! lol.

its because the eneregy is still trying to move forwards but it cant. and because their is a moving part on the front landing gear...thats where it goes!

so...it compresses a bit!

Richard

yes! thank you.

physics win!! lol.

its because the eneregy is still trying to move forwards but it cant. and because their is a moving part on the front landing gear...thats where it goes!

so...it compresses a bit!

Richard

Huh? Sorry but the front oleo on that Phantom is fully extended meaning there is little or no weight on it, here it is in it's normal state http://www.airliners.net/photo/Greece---Ai...d=&next_id= But all that aside isn't that a beautifully filthy Phantom. MUST BUILD.

Ken :worship:

I think it depends on where the force is applied as compared to the center of mass of the jet. The 'chute is attached at the top of the fuselage on the F-4 so it tends to pull then nose up. The nose gear compresses during an arrested landing because the hook is at the bottom of the fuselage and the force rotates the mass of the aircraft forward when the pull is low and aft.

sorry, Richard. I switched the picture on you. Here's what he was responding to:

G landing

which does give the impression that the nose is diving slightly.

Here's video of a JASDF phantom landing and the nose stays high

Ok, here's another: Greek phantoms about 1:20 into it you can see the nose stays high after 'chutes deployed.

Edited by longmc
nice video!!

ok then....it would be cool to model it with the nose still up in the air and the main landing gear comptressed lol.

but then how small is the landing gear on a 1/72 blackbird?

Richard

i'm actually going to model it in 1/48...shave off a little bit perhaps.