Outstanding 1/144 C-141B Starlifter Available!

Molding execution, originality of subject and decal options make this a good deal in my opinion.

Panel lines? They look pretty good. Obviously not as perfect as a Tamiya kit, but they don't look like some animal clawed them in. In all honesty, the scribing is very close to what you would get in an Anigrand kit, maybe some stuff from MP. It is very nice and adequate, but it is not absolute perfection. Most of the scribing is on the wings/tailplanes and main gear sponsons and it is well executed/uniform. There are minor blemishes on the surfaces here and there, but nothing out of the ordinary for a resin kit. I can count the number of small air bubbles found on my example on one hand. The fuselage scribing consists of nosecone, cockpit windows, hatches and rear cargo doors. there is some scribing around the IFR hump and he also added the shallow raised detail on the fuselage sides (somewhat softly done, but looks fine to me). The only weak points I can see as far as scribing/surface detail goes are the low relief of the vents immediately below and forward of the wings on the upper fuselage and some of the raised detail being a bit soft, but it looks good as is and can easily be improved if you wish.

All in all, if you didn't tell me where this kit came from I would assume it was mass produced by the likes of Anigrand, but the quality is (IMO) better and it is done by a one-man show in Ohio. I wish it had landing gear and delicate stator vanes, but Scot didn't design this kit for mass sales from what I understand. Looking at his built ups, it appears to have been designed as a highly detailed desk model and it easily blows the desk model competition away. I'm glad he did it in 1/144 and offered it to the public.

If I seem excited about this kit, I am. I love the C-141 and he has done it justice in -1/144- scale to boot, so it can be displayed with the C-5, C-130 and C-17 (among others). The decal sheet is almost worth the price alone and despite being laser printed, it is very well done. I have been frustrated with obscure subjects offered in poorly executed resin from various producers, so it was nice to find out about this kit, receive it and be pleasantly surprised.

Thank you. That is a very well written review of the kit. I'm glad to see the Star Lifter get some attention in this scale as well. I could tell from the earlier photos that this was a desktop model, but I'm okay with that due to the subject matter, decal options, quality of the kit and most of all the price.

Thank you. That is a very well written review of the kit. I'm glad to see the Star Lifter get some attention in this scale as well. I could tell from the earlier photos that this was a desktop model, but I'm okay with that due to the subject matter, decal options, quality of the kit and most of all the price.

You're welcome. I just saw that Scot joined ARC and he mentioned that he will have more kits available sometime in April.

Mike,

First, thanks for the kind review. I am happy to be able to fill an empty spot on all the trash hauler shelves out there (at least until one of the big manufacturers comes out with a professionally done C-141).

For anyone interested,

I am currently out of kits but have more resin on order. I hope to have more kits ready to ship by early to mid April. If you are interested, send me a seperate note so I know how many I need to make.

This was my first attempt at a resin kit. I live near Wright-Patterson AFB, which had C-141s up until the last one (the Hanoi Taxi) was retired in 2006. I couldn't live near the base and not build a C-141. Seeing them fly over everyday without building one eventually became and itch I had to scratch. I was surprised there were no kits out there so about five years ago I set out to make one out of basswood and shared the idea with a friend, Don Schmenk (who happens to make excellent resin kits in 1/144 scale). He convinced me to try my hand at a resin kit. Since there were no C-141 kits out there in 1/144 scale, he thought there might be some interest. I made a lot of mistakes and had to redo some things so it took me longer than I thought. I'm not sure if I ever actually became satisfied with the results or if just got sick of making a KIT and had to build a MODEL but I finally finished it up. The current version is actually the second version of the kit. The original fuselage and wing molds tore about a year ago. So I redesigned them into the current configuration. I finished the second set of molds in Jan this year. The original also had fewer decals. I sometimes get requests for specific birds so I just kept adding the new decal sets to the kit's sheet (C-141 Heaven is an excellent source BTW). The decals are made on a laserprinter (sorry, I wish I had an Alps).

The description of the kit as a desktop model is probably accurate. I thought of trying to include landing gear but at the pace I was going, I would not be able to offer the kit until 2010. I hope the current kit at least provides a starting point from which fellow C-141 junkies can work their art. (Send pictures BTW if you do).

Anyway, I am very happy to read any feedback (good or bad) that you may have. I learned a lot with this kit and can only learn more from your feedback.

Thanks.

Scot

The description of the kit as a desktop model is probably accurate. I thought of trying to include landing gear but at the pace I was going, I would not be able to offer the kit until 2010. I hope the current kit at least provides a starting point from which fellow C-141 junkies can work their art. (Send pictures BTW if you do).

Anyway, I am very happy to read any feedback (good or bad) that you may have. I learned a lot with this kit and can only learn more from your feedback.

Thanks.

Scot

Scot,

Quit being so modest, it is a helluva kit! Thanks again for taking the time to put out such a great product.

-Mike

• 1 month later...
Scot is making these again, FYI.
I just got mine last week, nice kit, and for the money not a bad deal.

Now all I need is Revell Germany to release their 1/144 C-17 and for SOMEBODY, ANYBODY to do a new mold C-5 Galaxy in 1/144.

Now all I need is Revell Germany to release their 1/144 C-17 and for SOMEBODY, ANYBODY to do a new mold C-5 Galaxy in 1/144.

That C-17 is looking mighty fine in the CAD stage. As for the C-5, you might want to keep an eye out for a non-collector (i.e. damaged box, parts off sprues) on eBay. DRAW decal will be releasing C-5 decals soon covering all tails.

I'll second that, I got mine a couple of weeks ago and it is very nicely done, and Scot was great to work with.

Jonah

Edited by Gator52
  • 2 weeks later...
Mike,

First, thanks for the kind review. I am happy to be able to fill an empty spot on all the trash hauler shelves out there (at least until one of the big manufacturers comes out with a professionally done C-141).

For anyone interested,

I am currently out of kits but have more resin on order. I hope to have more kits ready to ship by early to mid April. If you are interested, send me a seperate note so I know how many I need to make.

This was my first attempt at a resin kit. I live near Wright-Patterson AFB, which had C-141s up until the last one (the Hanoi Taxi) was retired in 2006. I couldn't live near the base and not build a C-141. Seeing them fly over everyday without building one eventually became and itch I had to scratch. I was surprised there were no kits out there so about five years ago I set out to make one out of basswood and shared the idea with a friend, Don Schmenk (who happens to make excellent resin kits in 1/144 scale). He convinced me to try my hand at a resin kit. Since there were no C-141 kits out there in 1/144 scale, he thought there might be some interest. I made a lot of mistakes and had to redo some things so it took me longer than I thought. I'm not sure if I ever actually became satisfied with the results or if just got sick of making a KIT and had to build a MODEL but I finally finished it up. The current version is actually the second version of the kit. The original fuselage and wing molds tore about a year ago. So I redesigned them into the current configuration. I finished the second set of molds in Jan this year. The original also had fewer decals. I sometimes get requests for specific birds so I just kept adding the new decal sets to the kit's sheet (C-141 Heaven is an excellent source BTW). The decals are made on a laserprinter (sorry, I wish I had an Alps).

Thanks.

Scot

• 10 months later...
Mike,

For anyone interested,

Thanks.

Scot

Hey Scot,

I am new to this forum and was reading that you have made a 1/144 resin model of the C-141B Starlifter. Are you still currently producing and selling the product. I have read nothing but good reviews and I am interested in purchasing. Does your model come with the current AMC grey decals and how much for the model and shipping to California 91901 zip code? Thanks and let me know how I can order from you.

Thanks,

Stratoboomer

• 4 years later...