I'm in... 1/48 Revell Desert Hawg

I'm ready to roll with a Revell 1/48 Hawg, if that's okay to join this late in the game.

What I'm looking for though, is the Lousiana ANG Razorback hog head decals... any ideas on where to acquire in the US, or does anyone have a set I could purchase?

Edited by ahaley

Glad to have you in, as it seems everyone else's work, including mine, has stalled.

I'm not sure which squadron you're referring to. The Louisiana ANG does not fly A-10s.

Jake

Glad to have you in, as it seems everyone else's work, including mine, has stalled.

I'm not sure which squadron you're referring to. The Louisiana ANG does not fly A-10s.

Jake

Sorry... Should be Arkansas ANG, not Louisiana. 188th Fighter Wing

Oh, in that case, I think SuperScale did that sheet. Have you tried Squadron or Great Models?

Jake

Tried Squadron, but haven't checked great models.... appears as if most places are out of 1/48 hog markings.... go figure!!

Tried Squadron, but haven't checked great models.... appears as if most places are out of 1/48 hog markings.... go figure!!

I just went out yesterday and acquired the color for the model. I've decided on a out of the box build, and a "what if" desert low vis paint job. I'm going with armor sand, sand and camo gray topside, light grey bottom side. What I am still on the fence with is what camo type to go with... Aggressor angled, standard GI camo, or to try my airbrush out for some fractal camo. I'm leaning toward the fractal for a serious painting / masking challenge. I may give it a shot and see how it goes. If it doesn't turn out, I should have enough paint to revert to a more standard paint job.

Oh, and my son is really pushing to put this in his room when completed. So, I'm going to test fit with a wheels up configuration to see how it looks to hang from his ceiling. It will be paired with another A-10 and eventually, and AC-130 gunship (all hung from the ceiling) in 1/48 scale. That takes care of the needed shelf space for the large AC-130

Edited by ahaley
  • 2 weeks later...

Fuselage is together and wings are on. On with the sanding, filling, etc. The cockpit fit was absolutely terrible. The fuse must have warped over 1/4" so I had to break out the super glue and some heavy duty clamps in order to make them flush. The 2 halves of the fuselage looked like they would fit just fine, but the seam was pretty noticable, so more filling and sanding. At this rate, there will be no surface detail on the top (or the bottom) and re-scribing is looking to be inevitable.

I expect that I should be ready to start priming this weekend. Once I get to paint, I have a few questions.... For the decelerons, is the color inside the clamshell the same as the top color or the underside OR is it typically painted a completely different color than the exterior of the plane? Also, for the airflow deflectors at the leading edge near the fuselage, is there a different color under the panel than what is on the top of the wing?

• 2 weeks later...

I have a bit of progress to share. I've put the fuselage through primer, and am in the process of adding the rest of the exterior pieces. Since I am going "wheels up" on this one, I've had to re-shape some of the doors, create one essentially from scratch and do a bunch of filling. I just put the main gear doors on tonight and still need to sand and fill / rescribe those lines.

With any luck at all, I'll find the time to paint the pilot, assemble the cockpit and adhere the canopy in the closed position. Since the piece was molded in the open position, I had to cut the rear tab off of the main canopy and glue that into the fuselage. Now, fitting the canopy, it's a tad wider than the body and I'll need to pinch it to fit flush. Also, will need to putty the back side of the canopy where I cut the tab off. IF I can get all of that done tomorrow the intention is to begin painting the body.

278589119_NfVuY-M.jpg

278587918_22GTK-M.jpg

Started into paint. After the first coat, there were some areas that needed to be addressed, so more sanding, filling, sanding, etc. Here, my first complete base layer of paint. Remaining color should be applied sometime today.

279358777_H9W9T-L.jpg

279358848_ydSVa-L.jpg

279358927_Fi5k4-L.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
That's looking good there. Keep it up.

Future has been applied along with some black watercolor weathering and yet one more coat of future. I've started applying the decals and hope to have all that buttoned up this evening. The plan is to then weather a bit more, add some top color scale, then a coat or 2 of dullcoat.

Once that is done, it's off to the ordinance and drop tank to get those built and painted and to call this build complete.

Once the decals and final weather is done, I'll post more pics.

Adam

Future has been applied along with some black watercolor weathering and yet one more coat of future. I've started applying the decals and hope to have all that buttoned up this evening. The plan is to then weather a bit more, add some top color scale, then a coat or 2 of dullcoat.

Once that is done, it's off to the ordinance and drop tank to get those built and painted and to call this build complete.

Once the decals and final weather is done, I'll post more pics.

Adam

Grrrr! Finished with the decals, weathering and dullcoat and uncovered the canopy for the first time to find some of the edges crazed and I also completely forgot my CSI trivia... using superglue inside the cockpit then closing the canopy... BAD IDEA. The fumes from the superglue will bond to any oil residue on the canopy (i.e. fingerprints) and craze. So, I needed to pry off the front canopy section to clean the underside, and while doing that, the front edge of the canopy broke. At least, it broke where it's painted so that is repairable, However, some of the crazing cannot be repaired with my limited knowledge. (does anyone have a tip to repair?!?!??) I cleaned the inside, applied a coat of future for good measure, and buttoned her back up for the time being. We'll see if it lasts. So, if anyone has an extra front canopy screen for the 1/48 Revell A-10 that they don't need, I would be a willing recipient!!!

On to the ordinance! Mavericks are going together now, as is the drop tank. Not sure if I'll use it, though. I may just mount the empty pylon for the tank and call it a day. I't will, however, be my test bed for pre-shading since I've never done that before.

Till next time...

pictures to come

Adam

Great work! :thumbsup:

Is that the so called "Peanut-Sheme"? What colours did you use?

Colors are sand, armor sand and camouflage grey for the top. Light ghost gray for the bottom. All done in Testors Acryl paint. It's a fictitious paint scheme, but I wanted to mimic the paint of the aggressor squadrons from Nellis.

Colors are sand, armor sand and camouflage grey for the top. Light ghost gray for the bottom. All done in Testors Acryl paint. It's a fictitious paint scheme, but I wanted to mimic the paint of the aggressor squadrons from Nellis.

Don't matter, if it's fictious - well done, looks really nice! :salute: