One more in this GB, hopefully I'll finish it in time.

I'll build Fw-190 A-5/U3 trop of II./Sch.G 2. Picture and profile is shown in one of the Jagdwaffe books. I'll use Hasegawa Fw-190 A-5 kit (the one w/BMW 327). I have decals (code letter and unit badge) printed on Alps long ago (hope they'll still work!). I'll also hang four SC50 bombs off it - from Verlinden Fw-190 stores set. I better get to work!

Fit is very, very good. Wing tops attach to fuselage halves with special tabs, which give very exact positioning - and fit very, very well. Top to bottom wing in front - great fit.

DSCF2592.jpg

About the only slight mismatch is in the back, where part of the lower fuselage molded with lower wing half attaches to the rest of the fuselage. The picture might not show it very well, but there is a distinct step on one side.

DSCF2593.jpg

Since this is trop version, I'm using tropical filters from ProModeler Fw-190 G kit (Dragon molds). Corresponding kit parts are a bit larger, but with a thin strip of plastic at the bottom, I had trop parts fit in very well.

DSCF2590.jpg

I had to touch the curved portion with a sanding stick, and it fit the fuselage very well.

DSCF2591.jpg

Another short strip of plastic will be needed in the back.

Almost ready to attach power egg to the airframe. One slightly annoying result of Hasegawa's desire to stretch use of the molds, is necessity to rescribe fuel hatches on the fuselage in A-5. Eduard did not go that route, but they managed to get location of one wrong (on A-5); Hasegawa shows where to rescribe it in their A-5 to be accurate, and the same needs to be done with Eduard.

Another slightly troublesome spot is insert on the bottom wing, with gun ammo cover. In my case fit seemed excellent at first, but I later realized that the panel is slightly sunk into the wing towards trailing edge. Certainly not a show stopper, just one of the little quirks Hase models tend to have.

DSCF2599.jpg

Overall I'm amazed how well the kit fits, considering complicated part breakdown.

Now on to priming and checking seams...

I painted underside with RLM 76.

DSCF2615.jpg

For the first time I used Aerohobby paints - I bought a set of 74/75/76 some time ago to try. I like the paint, but containers are terrible. I'm curious about the upper camo shades.