• 1 year later...

Wow, sorry I missed your post back in 07.

As of May 2009, OKC metro area no longer has a plastic only hobby shop. Most of them have died due to being in the same town as the world headquarters of Hobby Lobby creative centers.

For plastic kits we have the 7 metro area Hobby Lobbys. All virtually carry exactly the same thing, occasionally you'll find big ticket items really deeply marked down in the clearance area. Like a revell Uboat for $41. 7/31/09 update yesterday I saw the $149.95 Revell Queen Mary 2 (just 1 of them) for $36.95 on the clearance shelf! original seals in place and everything

There are a couple of Michaels stores with even a smaller selection.

There is one hobby town in Norman OK (easy to get to off Main and I-35) He is a mix of RC and plastic, it is the best plastic selection but his prices are higher than buying from squadron incuding mailing. 2010 edit there are now two shops in Norman. Definitely make time to hit Freedom Hobbies @ 1005 N. Flood.

There are several other hobbie shops that are pure RC or pure Railroad shops, not worth stopping at if you are looking for styrene.

There is a Pop run shop in Enid that is worth the drive, decent selection of odd kits. lots of T-38's to support the student pilots.

And 90 minute drive to Owasso will get you to Top Shelf.

Oklahoma, Oklahoma City, Norman Owasso, OK

Edited by majortomski
  • 2 years later...

Jon,

I know that there is a phenomenal hobby shop in Owasso, OK (just north of Tulsa) that would be well worth the drive if you have a free Saturday.

It is called Top Shelf Models and is operated by a guy named Royal. He has the largest section of plastic models I have ever seen. He also has a huge selection of decals.

His prices are fair and he even gives a 20% discount to IPMS members.....or at least he used to.

When I lived there in Tulsa, I made a trip almost every week.

Tulsa has two or three other hobby shops (including a really good HobbyTown USA) where our club used to have its monthly meetings, but Top Shelf is the crown jewel.

By the way, the annual Tulsa IPMS contest is coming up next month....always the last Saturday in March.

Top Shelf will be present at the Tulsa Modeler's Forum Contest, 31Mar12 Sat. They, along with other vendors, make this contest one of the more desirable in the area. Jed, we will miss you this year, again.

Jager

Jon there used to be a couple of shops in Wichita Falls.

The HObby Town in NOrman has moved to a bigger store in the same shopping center

Freedom Hobbies is basically out of business. He's open Sundays if you call him.

If you come to OKC send me a PM

Tom

• 2 weeks later...

Jon,

I can also vouch for Top Shelf Models in Owasso. I was working an outage at an oil refinery in Tulsa in 07 when I found out about Top Shelf. From Tulsa it was a very short drive, but if I am ever within 200 miles of there again, I will make a side trip. The guy there had these daily specials where he would discount certain genres of kits each day. As my luck would have it, I special ordered a kit from him and the day thst I went to pick it up it was in the special and he gave me the discount on the kit. I know it was a Fujimi helicopter and I think he had either all helicopters or all Fujimi kits 25% off for that day. He gave me the discount on the special order. That is really "Top Shelf" in my book. You will be hooked after the first time you go. HTH!

Best Regards,

Ken Bailey

(SonyKen)

Cool deal, thanks guys! Hey Ken, did you get the package?

Jon,

Yes I did. Thanks! As soon as I get things more organized back at the house, I need to talk to you further about that Seasprite stuff. Later!

Best Regards,

Ken Bailey

(SonyKen)