Red edge on US navy doors

I use the Staedtler permanent fine tip marker, package comes with many colours so all aircraft marker lights can be drawn in. Paid about $12 CAD 5 years ago.

I apply after my final coat of future or dulcote is added.

318_2_7643.jpg

used it on this build

My A-4E build

Emil

If you go the red Sharpie route, DO NOT put any kind of clear-coat on it afterward (including Future), or it'll run and make a great big mess... :)

Daniel

What if an acrylic or enamel clear coat was lightly misted on (almost dry) with an airbrush and built up in layers? Would that affect it?

Micro Mark. There very long bristled brushes. I believe they call them "Liner Brush's". Have them, use them, love tme.

Yup...I forgot that they're also called liner brushes. The theory behind it is that the longer bristles will hold more paint, yet still paint to a sharp point. This will give you the ability to paint longer lines without having to dip the brush as much, and as a result, there's more consistency in the paint line and less chance of blurbs. Micro-Mark carries these brushes, as do most art supply/craft stores. In fact, I think I got mine at Michael's or Ben Franklin.

Also, gloss coating the doors with Future is very important at this step; this way, if you make a blunder, it's a piece of cake to clean it up.

• 3 months later...

You guys are FREEKIN' GENIUSES!!! I tried the Red Sharpie thing tonight on F/A-18 landing gear doors for the first time. I used the double-tipped one with the fine tip on one end and broader tip on the other. For years, I used to handpaint with brush or use strips of red decal lines for my USN/USMC jets. It was time-consuming and aggravating. As long as the ink doesn't bleed later, I'm going to stick with the red Sharpie permanent ink marker! Thanks for the tip!