Gentlemen,

..Thanks for all the encouraging words-Having such talented modelers chime in with support really helps keep me going!

Work is progressing on the canopy. I decided to make my own master, and vac form over it. The canopy you see in the middle is the new master. It was made from sections of the Tamiya canopy, a section cut from the MAL canopy (bottom), sheet stock, and Milliput:

100_7427.jpg

I backed the master with clay, and made an RTV mold of it in a simple box:

000_0007-2.jpg

I brushed RTV on the master and blew off the air bubbles with a straw:

000_0008-1.jpg

Pour the RTV slowly to minimize air bubbles:

000_0009-1.jpg

000_0010.jpg

After curing for 4 hours, pop out the master:

000_0022.jpg

More next post...

Edited by Pete "Pig" Fleischmann

Then mix 1:1 resin and pour into the mold

000_0013-1.jpg

After about 10 minutes, demold the resin copy:

000_0015-2.jpg

Clean up the new resin master, and polish it like crazy to make it shine. I then took it to my vacuum form rig:

000_0017-1.jpg

I used K&S .010 PETG. I heated it until it sagged about 3 inches, then vac-formed over the resin master. The resin master had spacers apllied underneath to ensure good suction across the perimeter of the pattern:

000_0024.jpg

Here it is on the deck, suction still on, immediatly after forming:

000_0016.jpg

OK! there's a good one. I trashed four and got 2 good ones. Ready to detail-

000_0020-1.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Pig

Pete,

Awesome as usual. I love the step by step demonstration of the fine craftsmanship. The canopy looks very nice. I hope that Dr. Pepper and you will bless us with some good stuff. In the mean time keep up the good work.

Mike

Great job Pete, but if you don't mind I will express some criticism. The Polish Air Force national insignia on the vertical stabilizer should be moved down a little.

Great job Pete, but if you don't mind I will express some criticism. The Polish Air Force national insignia on the vertical stabilizer should be moved down a little.

Thanks Dan-

I checked my references again, and yes, maybe a millimeter or two-but it's too late now!

Regards,

Pig

Hi Pete,

Wow that Vacuform brings back some memories. Good to see it being put to good uses again.

I checked my references again, and yes, maybe a millimeter or two-but it's too late now!

Maybe I should take note of that and put a bug in the judges ear Pete. Seeing as this'll be going up against my Devastated in Major Conversions I'll need all the help I can get..:). Although in all seriousness, I don't think it'll matter a hill of beans. This is one awesome bit of conversion modeling. I'll be honored to place behind it.

Coming up for BUFFCON or NOREASTCON? By the end of April I'll have 55 bottles of Abby Amber ready to be opened. I am bottling it today.... just in case you need added incentive besides Best Aircraft, First Place, Best In Show, yadda yadda yadda.

Cheers

Mike

Edited by Skyking
Hi Pete,

Wow that Vacuform brings back some memories. Good to see it being put to good uses again.

Maybe I should take note of that and put a bug in the judges ear Pete. Seeing as this'll be going up against my Devastated in Major Conversions I'll need all the help I can get..:lol:. Although in all seriousness, I don't think it'll matter a hill of beans. This is one awesome bit of conversion modeling. I'll be honored to place behind it.

Coming up for BUFFCON or NOREASTCON? By the end of April I'll have 55 bottles of Abby Amber ready to be opened. I am bottling it today.... just in case you need added incentive besides Best Aircraft, First Place, Best In Show, yadda yadda yadda.

Cheers

Mike

Mike,

Yeah-that was really helpful! Where was he 2 weeks ago! :)

I'm sure your Devestator will "devestate" the competition! It is a work of art and an engineering masterpiece. And besides, I'm also capable of dropping my cellphone on my models, or having the radome knocked off by spectators, or bending the pitot probe getting it out of the car...alot of water to go under the bridge...plus, I have to finish it!

Yeah- The vac-blaster is working great! I pulled some .020 plexiglass with it after I took these photos and it did great.

Beer sounds good.

Regards,

Pig

Work presses on with the canopy: The master pattern is a nice solid base to use when skinning the rails-

000_0028.jpg

000_0029.jpg

000_0030.jpg

More clear parts..The position lights need to be sliced off to paint them correctly. THe F-16 has clear position lights with colored reflectors on their base. I cut them off, drilled the bulb, painted the bases, and re-attached:

000_0031.jpg

000_0034.jpg

The intake position lights are the new, NVG-compatible versions, and are clear when they are unpowered:

000_0033.jpg

More to follow-

Pig

I am totally amazed from your F-16, CFT configuration is very actractive.....I just wait to find aftermarket for D version, Id' like tu buidl a Greek falcon 32 scale.

Your job of strachbuilding is very impressive, I dont' know modeller so expert as you are. Standing ovation for you friend.

Ciao

Edited by starflyer