Dudes!

...Got some more work done on the aft glareshield..Just about ready to adjust the fit and start painting these parts..Most of the work for both cockpits is done. The glareshield needs to be trued-up with the longitudinal axis:

100_6480.jpg

100_6490.jpg

100_6491.jpg

100_6492.jpg

Edited by Pete "Pig" Fleischmann
I did Doc-Thanks :whistle: G-dub also sent me some...I'm trying an unusual technique for the glass that may/may not work..I needed a mule to experiment on..we'll see. Images to follow good or bad!

Regards,

Pig

The Sniper pod from Dr. Pepper is very nice, mastered by fellow ARC'er and all around good-guy Geedub-

The pod comes with a sheet of clear acetate to cut up and use for the glass sections. I'm not very good at that type of operation, so I chose to try something different instead.

First, I painted the interior section of the pod with Tamiya black. I added some MV lenses, fittings, and a few wires also.

Next, I filled the cavity over a period of several days with layers of Pour On clear epoxy resin.( I painted the interior of the pod with acrylics to ensure that the epoxy resin didnt attack the paint ) To keep the resin from simply running out of the "chin" of the pod, I glued a temporary sheet of .005 sheet to this area, and then simply popped it off when I had built up enough clear resin. This resin is pretty thin, but de-airs beautifully and dries crystal clear. Once I had built up enough layers, I sanded the clear resin back and polished it out:

100_6481.jpg

100_6484.jpg

100_6501.jpg

I knew I could really screw this up. Thankfully Guy and Dr. Pepper sent me enough Sniper pods to experiment with and get it right. I wanted to be sure I could get a good looking pod done before I committed myself by glueing up the pod adapter and pylon on the intake-So, good to go, I guess!

More to follow-

Thanks,

Pig

Ehmmmm...uhmmmm...well,I actually have lot of awesome words to describe your superb work but they come to my mind only in italian!

wish you could understand what i would like to tell you about it...

in english it would sound like:

HOLY TOLEDO-THA HELL SUPERB-FREAKIN-AWESOME JOB!!!!

well almost like that LOL!

actually i really love your scratch work!what i really appreciate is the neat way,the clean way those pieces look!i mean,i can see no smudges and the glueing process is absolutelly stunning,for not mentioning the scratchin itself!!!lovely work,indeed!!!

Keep it up

Cheers

:whistle:

Excellent work Pete!

The scratch work in the cockpit looks fantastic and will look superb when painted up, and the buisness end of the pod looks outstanding, great idea with the resin and MV lenses. :thumbsup:

Cheers,

Jeff.

Great update as ever Pete :woot.gif:, she starting to look the part now..

however looking at the first picture it seems that youv'e detailed the gun bay area, are you planning on opening up the gun panel??

Also another Q what did you use to make the second IP coaming? did you start off with a normal one if so would you mind telling me more about it?? TIA

sorry for all the Q :rolleyes:

Greetz STB

Frederick Jacobs

Edited by stusbke

Man!.....that cockpit looks da biz!

Superb work Pig. Those document bins on the sidewalls look trick. How'd you make them?

Also, I dig the lead foil shroud around the rear HUD repeater. That captures the "soft" look of the original perfectly.

All of the wiring and plumbing makes that area appear so busy and authentic. I can't wait to see some paint on it. :coolio:

Great work on the SNIPER dude! :monkeydance:

Those MV lens are terrific and the clear resin is an inspired invention. It would sure save time over cutting out the acetate film, plus, you're assured of a tight join around the glazing facets. Totally COOL! idea :worship:

:cheers:

however looking at the first picture it seems that youv'e detailed the gun bay area, are you planning on opening up the gun panel??

Also another Q what did you use to make the second IP coaming? did you start off with a normal one if so would you mind telling me more about it?? TIA

Greetz STB

Frederick Jacobs

Hi Frederick!

I opened the gun gas vent door, this is usually open on the ground. You noticed that I already installed the "barrel trough" for the gun. I did this because I needed to make sure it didn't interfere with the aft cockpit construction. I don't plan on having the gun bay open..with the CFT's installed, that would be a big operation!

Remember the 32nd scale F-16 2-seat conversion from Hong Kong that we were all excited about, and then when we actually saw it, we were disappointed? Well, Scott Brown got one of those from the Far East..He sent it to me. I cut away the aft instrument shroud to use for this build, and sent the rest of the conversion to Jake.

For my previous F-16D conversion (block 42) I think I built the aft shroud up from a Hasegawa shroud that I re-shaped..

To All:

Thanks for the encouragement guys-I really appreciate it! Funny, when I first started this build, all the photos of the Polish jets showed beautifully clean, brand new jets. Now I'm starting to see them getting dirty..If I drag my feet a little longer, I guess I can weather this jet a little more than I anticipated :rolleyes:

Thanks for looking!

Pig

Those document bins on the sidewalls look trick. How'd you make them?

Great work on the SNIPER dude! :rolleyes:

:cheers:

G-Dub!

The bins were totally "wagg'd" (American coloquialism) out of .005 sheet bent to shape around a # 11 blade. As far as the "great work" on the Sniper pod-I think those accolades go to you and Dr. Pepper! :cop:

Regards,

Pig

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Boys!

Got the first lick of paint on the Sniper/Pantera pod. This will get clear-coated, decalled, oil wash, flat coated, and a spot of dry brush.

100_6530.jpg

100_6531.jpg

100_6532.jpg

100_6536.jpg

The 5R pod pylon is from the Academy kit..the Sniper adapter comes with the Dr. Pepper pod

100_6533.jpg

If you plan to use the Aires main wheel well, I'd suggest that you slice this part along the panel line aft of the nose gear bay. This allows you more freedom to fully assemble the intake and paint it prior to installation.

100_6504.jpg

Also, I'd recommend painting the fuselage around the main gear well before installing the Aires main gear well. This will eliminate a wicked masking headache later. The preshading is still a little heavy for my taste, and I'll pull it back during the next round-

100_6535.jpg

The intake section was painted grey first, then the nose gear well was masked off and shot Reefer White. A little touch-up still to go where I couldn't mask forward of the well-

100_6534.jpg

Got some paint up on the aft shroud as well. This was shot with Floquil Grimy Black and then dry brushed. I try to dry brush prior to any detail painting, as dry brushing after would obliterate the detail paintwork-

100_6509.jpg

100_6510.jpg

I've started painting up the forward instrument panel too. The Block 52 Advanced is a little different that the block 50, but I chose not to modify it. This is about as far as the painting goes until I clear coat, wash, and flat coat it. All of the "glass" items will be glossed-up after the final flat coat. Note that the glareshield-mounted caution and warning lights are pretty dull. Just a touch of Tamya clear red or yellow over the black base paint is all you need. I'm not very happy with the ADI, and will need to give that another go!

100_6524.jpg

100_6525.jpg

Well, that's pretty much it for now! Thanks for looking!

Pig