We really, really really need to have this conversion done up by someone (Zacto, are you listening???)

Tamiya MAY release a D some day...or not, but there's still so much that would be needed to do a Israeli, Polish or Greek bird that most of this conversion would still be necessary and useful. I know I would pay good money for one (BTW, is there any other kind of money?) Hopefully enough folks will jump on board to convince one of our esteemed resin masters to take the plunge. PLEEEEEEEEEAAAASEE

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Gents,

Still hammering away. Here is where the Sniper/Pantera pod is now-I ended up painting the orange-

100_6649.jpg

100_6652.jpg

Man, that macro function of the camera is brutal on my modeling! Interesting, I think it's about time for me to start using a magnifying visor ;)

Started painting up the main gear wells. Much more to go here still. The battery looks a little too "wild Cherry" red...Need to come back with some white and clean-up those edges!

100_6654.jpg

100_6656.jpg

100_6655.jpg

100_6657.jpg

Edited by Pete "Pig" Fleischmann

I also permanently attached the spine and started fairing it in-You can see I've still got a few fit issues to deal with where the spine meets the fuselage..Who made this anyway!? ;)

100_6658.jpg

100_6659.jpg

I use this rod to attach the vertical fin:

100_6660.jpg

100_6661.jpg

some vents, etc..

100_6662.jpg

100_6663.jpg

The spine "bananna'd" a little. To get it to lay down, I squeezed it against the fuselage, and stuck this plastic rod thru the slot for the fin, and super glued it to the inside of the spine and underside of the fuselage-

100_6664.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Pig

We really, really really need to have this conversion done up by someone (Zacto, are you listening???)

Tamiya MAY release a D some day...or not, but there's still so much that would be needed to do a Israeli, Polish or Greek bird that most of this conversion would still be necessary and useful. I know I would pay good money for one (BTW, is there any other kind of money?) Hopefully enough folks will jump on board to convince one of our esteemed resin masters to take the plunge. PLEEEEEEEEEAAAASEE

I totally agree! I didn't engineer this for reproduction, and it certainly isn't a "drop in" conversion...but someone smarter and more talented than myself certainly could do it. Heck, if Zacto did it, I'd buy a couple too! This would be a license to print money :worship: Maybe a poll would convince our resident resin master?

Thanks to all you guys for the words of encouragement, This is a "two steps forward, one back" kind of project..More to follow!

Regards,

Pig

Your wish is out command got one in Jet forum Erick

I totally agree! I didn't engineer this for reproduction, and it certainly isn't a "drop in" conversion...but someone smarter and more talented than myself certainly could do it. Heck, if Zacto did it, I'd buy a couple too! This would be a license to print money :o Maybe a poll would convince our resident resin master?

Thanks to all you guys for the words of encouragement, This is a "two steps forward, one back" kind of project..More to follow!

Regards,

Pig

Hi, Pete!

Dude! It's just incredibly! What you did on the main bays is really terrific, stunning! :salute:

Sure, this would be the most realistic scaled Viper ever seen on ARC. Impatiently waiting to see her in all her glory, finished and weathered!

O, yeah! Don't foget to add some 'remove before flight' flags to give

her a sexier apperance! :D

Cheers!

Alexander.

Indeed there are a few modelers here who's work is very exemplary and really makes me want to get back to the bench and get something going. Yours is always among those I examine closely and wish I could duplicate.

Cheers!

RS

Hi, Rusty! Absolutely agree with you. Following threads like this we learn much. We become, say, more meticulous to our own builds. We learn to be more paitient as well. Such threads are also very inspiring. After all, if Pete or ChuckW or Geebee and Zacto, Naza and many others can do so incredible (at the first sight) things as they do with their builds, does it really mean that we, "mere mortals" CAN'T do the same? I don't think so. We can, but suffering a lack of time and patience, we just build what we build. As for me, I often ask myself: what the heck is rushing about?

Pete, thanks a lot for lessons of patience! :salute:

Cheers and happy modeling!

Alexander.

:rolleyes:

Pete, as usual I am learning from you. Wonderful job on the cockpit and landing gear. One question about your painting before assembly. How can you get the paint to match if you paint one section then a couple of months later you paint the rest of the plane? Do you keep mixing ratios or what is your secret? I, being clumsy me, would be worried about ruining the first section of painting and then have to do some creative masking but not matching the previous colors?

Thanks,

Wayne

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Gents!

...Been busy getting done all that needs to get done to close up the fuselage..Getting pretty close, then this project should accelerate a bit..

This is the second Aires wheel bay I've painted up..you would think I would have learned from the last time; but I made some of the same mistakes. The best advice I can give you for painting in such a tight space is expect your brush to stray and don't worry about it...just fix it later.

Here's all the paint on, gloss coated, and decal'd:

100_6921.jpg

100_6922.jpg

100_6923.jpg

Here it is after the wash. The hoses and other things need to be flat-coated still-I'll do that with a brush next-

100_6927.jpg

100_6929.jpg

100_6930.jpg

Here's a look at the spine to fuselage joint. I needed to clean this area up and tighten the transition-I masked the spine and fuselage so just the gap showed, and spread bondo on the exposed joint with a coffee stirrer from 4-Bucks. Peel the tape off, let the bondo dry, and then smooth it with some ScotchBright-Simple!

100_6926.jpg

Putting these pictures up helps me too-I always notice several things that need to be fixed once they are on the board..( I see at least three :salute: ) and I trust you guys will point out the boogers to me too!

Thanks for stopping by-Bring beer next time!

Pig