Hi All,

I'm starting my Privateer tonight. Not exactly opening the box, though. Instead, I'm opening the bag. After many failed attempts to buy one from Jeff Garrity (aka Rare Plane Detective) he took pity on me and sent me this, free of charge, along with the rest of an order last year. What a guy.

He photocopied the directions, but there were two missing props, and came with no decals. It's also missing one of 4 pieces that sort of looks like a screen that goes in front of the engine. However, I don't have evidence of those in any pics, so I'm leaving them off anyway.

I managed to track down a White Dog Decals sheet, and bought Quickboost replacement props, so I'm good to go! And wouldn't you know it, I scored a good Privateer kit from him from his latest catalog. Now I have two to build!

privateer.jpg

:)

Mike

Man I'm hoping Revell re-releases that thing! I'm jealous. That's by far the best looking of the Liberator clan.

Hi,

I have a unbuild but "paintstarted" one lying about doing nothing.

It's complete,but it will need some paintstripping first.

I won't build it as I'm into 32 nd scale and larger.

PM me if interested. Just asking postagerefund.Don't worry .It's not that much.

Edited by erwin

Hey Mike,

Be weary of the upper fuselage seam. The wings put alot of stress on that seam, and it likes to pop. Dont ask me how I know, it hurts. I suggest you reinforce it with some sheet plastic on the inside. That gives you more gluing surface than just the fuselage alone.

http://www.arcforums.com/forums/air/index....t&p=1314863

Hope that helps, any questions feel free to ask!!

Jack aka BUGFAN

Hi,

I have a unbuild but "paintstarted" one lying about doing nothing.

It's complete,but it will need some paintstripping first.

I won't build it as I'm into 32 nd scale and larger.

PM me if interested. Just asking postagerefund.Don't worry .It's not that much.

The kit is going to Grey Ghost.

Edited by erwin
Hey Mike,

Be weary of the upper fuselage seam. The wings put alot of stress on that seam, and it likes to pop. Dont ask me how I know, it hurts. I suggest you reinforce it with some sheet plastic on the inside. That gives you more gluing surface than just the fuselage alone.

Thanks for the advice, Jack! And nice looking Privateer in the inspiration topic!

:whistle:

Mike

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I made some pretty decent progress with the fuselage. And I've started getting the tail parts on too.

privateer2.jpg

But then I ran into a HUGE problem.

I have two starboard lower wing halves, but no port lower wing half! AAGGH. :monkeydance:

privateer3.jpg

Of course, since the kit was free, I'm not going to bellyache too much, but this sure has derailed a build that was going well.

I've managed to salvage the situation, though, by using a wing half from a Minicraft PB4Y-1. Of course, the overall wing shape is nearly perfect, but it does require some modifications...namely removing the engine nacelles.

So I sawed them off, and am replacing the missing nacelles with card stock. It doesn't have to be pretty, as the kit nacelles will cover most of the card stock, but the kit parts do need something there to be glued to!

Here's the Minicraft wing being modified.

privateer4.jpg

privateer5.jpg

privateer6.jpg

;)

Mike

• 2 months later...

Time to resurrect this! I've spent a TON of time on this project, trying to get the replacement wing half from the Minicraft kit to work.

Lots of cosmetic changes were required, even after sawing off the original nacelles. Most of this involved recreating the openings for the landing gear legs. As you can see in the earlier photos, I had to build them from scratch. The "bulge" behind the opening for the wheel also had a different shape than the Matchbox wing half, so I reshaped it with putty.

One surprise was that the wing with the Minicraft bottom fit to the fuselage better than the purely Matchbox wing.

Here are the results!

privateer7.jpg

privateer8.jpg

privateer9.jpg

:huh:

Mike

WOOOHOOOO the project is resurected!!! You have sure put alot of time into this project!! Any ideas on the markings?

Hi Jack!

I'm leaning toward the "Old Blunderbuss" since I really like those dwarves with the big funny musket. :lol:

By the way, I used your tip for securing the fuselage halves. With all the stress of putting the wings on (and sanding the seams all over the kit) I'm really thankful for your advice!

:huh:

Mike

Wooh! This one slipped under the radar.

Nice job Mike and glad you sorted out the wing problem.

Looking forward to seeing this one done.

What scheme are you doing? I have some spare decals if you need them.

:thumbsup:

Edited by Trojan Thunder
Wooh! This one slipped under the radar.

Nice job Mike and glad you sorted out the wing problem.

Looking forward to seeing this one done.

What scheme are you doing? I have some spare decals if you need them.

:woot.gif:

Thanks for your kind words! I've got decals from White Dog, so I'm set for markings. Thanks for your generosity, though!

:woot.gif:

Mike

Edited by mlicari
  • 1 month later...

Thanks guys! Had the wing "issue" not been there, it actually would have been a fairly painless build. The only other problem areas were fitting the cockpit in the nose, and the issue of needing to reinforce the fuselage seam from the inside. Neither of those issues required much additional work though.

I used Testors clear parts cement to make the small fuselage windows.

:thumbsup:

Mike