That jet was flying a Green Flag sortie from Nellis when a round exploded in the cannon, leaving another one in the barrel. He punched off his weapons and made the gear-up landing (as speculated here, the round damaged the nose gear/emergency extension system). EOD had to take care of the remaining round in the barrel.

• 4 weeks later...
When is someone going to get out there and put the FOD covers on the engines?

Amazing how tough the Hawg is, isn't it? And the fighter mafia wants to get rid of them...

There was probably more damage to the runway than the Hog .... :thumbsup:

Gregg

When is someone going to get out there and put the FOD covers on the engines?

Amazing how tough the Hawg is, isn't it? And the fighter mafia wants to get rid of them...

They should just give 'em to the Corps...

OK, I gotta ask some semi-unrelated questions here. Those little pistons on the rails. Do they just help the munition leave the pylon? Spring loaded? Do they stay out until retracted after the mission?

Since the pilot got out OK, I have to say, the decal application on the ACC badge is pretty bad. :thumbsup: Though he/she did do a nice job sanding the bottom of the fins. Considering how flat the bottom of the fin is, I guess the runway surface is about...oh...say, 400 grit!?

Thanks for posting the pix.

Rick in Maine