Brass photo-etched parts and CA glue.

I've been adding the odd brass photo-etched part to my models and one thing I've found is that the cyanoacrylate glue doesn't bond to the bare metal very well. If it's just a brass part that fits flush, then everything's OK, but if it's a situation where stuff has to stick together to form a larger part, I find that any stress on the completed part will make it fall apart.

I've been using fairly typical CA (thick gap filling) glue. Is it just me or am I doing something wrong?

TIA

I, too, would be interested in any tips from the pros here. I've almost given up on PE since I seem to have so much trouble with getting it to stick. I've started using some 2 part epoxy instead of CA, but I feel like I'm wasting a lot of it for a couple small parts.

I'm going to be using P.E. on my P2V's and P-3's. I have read about this glue called 'Gator Glue' and I have read about others using 'Future'. So, I'm gonna be keeping tabs on this one as well.

The parts I tried to put together are in the pic below of the Lion Roar 1/32 F/A-18 set. The nozzles need to be strong when assembled in order to fit into the body properly. Each blade is seperate, so it's difficult to get it to look right without using too much glue. After a bunch of attempts, I gave up and I'm using the plastic kit parts now.

LionRoarF-18.jpg

I have used alot of PE parts over the years along with CA glue to attach them and have found a couple of things that help a bunch. The first is to make sure the piece is clean, I have used warm soapy water or Alchohol. Second I will run the PE piece to be secured on a piece of 600 grit sandpaper, make sure you do this on the side that attaches to the kit and is not visible. When I have several pieces of PE that you must attach to each other in order to make up a single item I find that adding pieces of sheet styrene to the attachment points in an out of sight location helps greatly. This also help with adding rigidness to the piece. You you have any other questions please feel free to ask. I have attached a couple of photos to show you some of this.

MH-47EModel002.jpg

MH-47EModel001.jpg

MH-47EModel003.jpg

Dave Fassett